Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car Safety

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

PS I would never disconnect a passenger side airbag to accommodate a dog. A dog is perfectly happy on a back seat whereas your human passenger some day could die for lack of an airbag.

Most dogs that get carsick do so because they are looking out windows, moving about, and the motion makes them ill. Crating a dog is far more comfortable for many dogs because of this and if they are anxious throw a sheet over the crate. That is how I transport nervous rescues. It's also how I start to teach a dog to travel in a car -- because the crate tends to make them feel safer. If you ignore whining it eventually stops. If you respond to it it teaches the dog that whining is a rewarding activity and gets attention.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

Sara

This is the Car Seat Harness that I bought for Dudley, here is a few shots it shows you where the seatbelt goes through to hold them in.

Just like a childs carseat you would pull the seatbelt together and push it through the top of the harness. Where it says Vest Harness.

From the front it looks similar to a Puppia harness, except it is much sturdier.

Sara: You can purchase them at Global Pets

As for Darby he is in his crate and the seatbelt goes through the handle of the crate.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Car Safety

Hi this is my first post !
    I enjoy this site a great deal and helps me with all my needs a first time Cav owner.

My little doggie Marlon always used to jump accross and sit on my lap when I drove.

I tried him in the boot, but he just cried all the time, and I didn't feel comfortable not being able to see him.

Then I brought a RAC approved dog seatbelt and after a few days he was fine (as long as I stroke him under the chin every few minutes !)

Patience is the key - and safety first !

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I must admitt, on the (now rare) occasions I look after Toby i make sure he sits on the floor in the passenger seat footwell. I really must invest in a doggy seat thingy 'just in case'. With the doggy belts/harnesses would the dogs not be strangled in an accident??
    Mum to AJ (Blenhiem born 6th August 2010) - my world
    My beautiful, brave boy Toby (Blenhiem) now waiting for me at the Bridge, love you forever chicken!
    Auntie to:Taffy(B) &Archie(B&T) - Doggy kisses 'cos you know there the best kind!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all of your replies guys. I am working on something, really. Maybe I will buy a crate for now..

Now Karlin, where on earth can I get my hands on that article?! lol I want to read it. It doesn't seem like this subject is brought up too often on this board.

Linda, Dudley is such a CUTIE@! I love him with his big orange. I am worried evne a car harness will make him sick at this point as he was up and down and all around.. blah.

Karlin,

There are cars out now adays that have an automatic passenger sensor instilled in them. I was just driving a Pontiac Persuit which had a light. When there was a passenger in the car the light on the right lit up, but when there wasn't one, the light on the left lit up.. or was it the other way around? I don't know but it had a passenger sensor in it anyways. There are also cars that you can take your key and turn it one way to turn it off, and then one way to turn it on. We use to have one like that. Those are easy ways for the airbag on the passenger seat to turn off and on. I am assuming they do that for people who carry stuff other than passengers in their front seats. I would never leave it off if there were a passenger in the front seat, of course. I am merely just pointing out that some cars have easy ways to turn the airbag on and off now.

Lani, that's such a cool design. There are so many different things you can do with that car seat!!
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a new car this spring. The front seat passenger airbag will not be on unless there is 35+ pounds in the seat. I travel with our smallest crate right next to me. It keeps them calmer. I bought the dog harness made for in a car. The only thing that worries me is that after an accident-- the dog would be terrified ( could be hurt-- the possiblity that the dog would want to protect its owner, the smell of blood ???)and I don't know if rescue workers would deal with a frantic dog that "might" bite them. This is a good topic of discussion-- most of us have to travel with our pets at some time.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...n-20/ref=nosim

This is the carseat we use. The seatbelt straps through through the back (where you see the slit on the side)and it came with a connector that is roughly 3 inches long and goes around the seatbelt. This then connects really well to his Puppia. The whole thing is padded and Duncan just lays or sits in it. I always put it in the middle of th backseat because I worry about the side airbags in the back of my car also.

I think it helps is tummy because it is raised and he doesn't feel every bump in the road.
    Ashley - Mom to Duncan (4 years/blenheim) and Arthur (3 years/ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

Duncan's ma -

That's a really nice seat. I might think about something like that. Can you put the two of them in there or is just big enough for 1? Is there an option to have an oversized one?

I need to find something either like a crate or something high in the air I think because I think Kosmo was really nervous not sitting on my lap and he didn't want to sit still. He was probably a combination of nerves and car sickness and it was just too much for him.

Sandy,

The only thing that worries me is that after an accident-- the dog would be terrified ( could be hurt-- the possiblity that the dog would want to protect its owner, the smell of blood ???)and I don't know if rescue workers would deal with a frantic dog that "might" bite them.
    I never thought of that. I would want whoever comes to rescue my dog not to have any doubts about the situation in the least.. That would be a really unfortunate situation. If something like that happened, and the dog bit, would the dog be considered dangerous and have to be muzzled in public places? I know there are laws like that around. . . It's very interesting to think about.
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

Can you put the two of them in there or is just big enough for 1? Is there an option to have an oversized one?
    I only have room for one for now...haven't figured out what to do about Arthur yet.
    Ashley - Mom to Duncan (4 years/blenheim) and Arthur (3 years/ruby)

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Roxanne sells double carseats on her website.

Here is the link if you are interested.

http://www.tiabellas.com/boutique/ca...06918361c03f68