• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Breeder Question

Faldo

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has received a pup from (name deleted). Due to site restrictions could you please PM back?
I'm really after info about the quality of Cav's that there breeding.
Would esp. love to hear from owners with older dog's

Thanks in advance

I mentioned once before on a previous post from you that I don't allow places to be named, so I am removing the reference and asking again that you not name breeders or kennels on the board. (this is a serious legal issue for me -- once someplace is named., very often someone is going to make a comment about them that I may not see, and may expose me and the person who posted to prosecution under Irish or international libel and defamation law).

I also listed some resources on your other post as well, on what to ask the individual breeders you approach about health testing, with cardiac testing being the priority, so go back and have a read of that post. :) . Finding a good breeder takes time and research and health should be your top priority. I'd suggest calling the breed club (ikc.ie list them) and ask for a breeder *specifically* that cardiac tests. You could also try the breed club secretary in Northern Ireland.

I will say, now that I have deleted the name, that I am familiar with this kennel and would say anyone who uses such a URL to advertise dogs would frankly, worry me. I know this kennel failed to inform a family who took a puppy from them about anything about the breed or offer any advice or screen the family, causing the puppy to be a poor fit for the family, and it ended up coming into rescue at a young age and needing to be rehomed. I'd personally want a breeder to take the time to talk to prospective families about the breed, its health issues and personality, care and training.... and make sure the fit is right. (y)

I understand the frustration of not knowing where to go but I'd start by talking at length to the breed club secretaries north and south and ask every breeder whose name they give you, the questions from the links I gave you. Then eliminate those who can't give acceptable answers. Often there's a waiting list to get a puppy from a good breeder.

I hope this can go through? this isn't an advert... :flwr:

Also on the main U.K cavalier club page

www.thecavalierclub.co.uk

You will find many listed breeders that have scanned their breeding dogs/bitches/lines for SM. The list however does not give the scan results, that is for the breeders own discretion and results can be obtained when contacting them when enquiring about possible availability of pups or just general enquiries....all their numbers are available in the membership list handbook as at 1st March 2006.

If you do the homework and be patient and are prepared to wait these pups do become available from clear/clear matings, or at least with the use of a clear stud dog... all these dogs are health checked etc and come from very caring concerned breeders that are interested in the health and future of this breed.

This is in NO WAY an advert for any breeder but information is available for those searching for healthy pups or are concerned about SM being a problem and if like myself SM has been in your home then I understand the steps you would be wanting to take to try the very best to avoid it again.

HOWEVER it is only fair to add that just because both parents are clear it will not guarantee you 100% an SM free Cavalier, but from results/data collected and shown so far from these matings the evidence is looking good that it cuts the risk down greatly. It's still very early days but steps can be made to cut down the risks.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

I have to say I agree with Karlin about the name of the establishment (now deleted). It sounded very "commercial" and too much like the free ads listings for my liking. :( :(

Sorry, Karlin if this is out of order .... please delete if you wish.

One of my concerns with this breeder is whether they actually breed themselves in the first place -- usuallyanyone who says they have all four colours available all the time indicates they are either breeding mass quantities of dogs (eg are puppy farmers) or are brokers, not breeders -- they are buying up litters from breeders and selling them -- and no reputable breeder will sell an entire litter to a broker. Usually they come from backyard breeders.

Another worry is that they do not show at all, but are breeding large amounts of dogs. I think it is curious that they claim the breed is 'about 18 lbs in wieght' too. This is the top of the breed standard. Any breeder should know they weigh 13-18lbs if they are breed standard.

Another worry is that they state the cavalier has few health problems and will likely never need more than a booster shot and an annual vet visit.

This is simply untrue and any reputable breeder will explain each key health issue in the breed.

Cavaliers have two widespread health issues: one is mitral valve disease which will affect 50% of cavaliers by age 5. That is a potentially very serious health issue for a dog and to not even mention it says everything about this particular breeder, I think. Second, nearly all cavaliers have a skull malformation that can lead to a serious neurological condition called syringomyelia (SM). Several of us on this board own such dogs, incuding me. The more severe form is rare but nonetheless to say the breed has few health issues is simply not true. For a breeder not to be aware of this, if she doesn;t actually know these things and is not deliberately disguising this fact, is also a worry.

Also I'd like to see her talking about the cardiac clearances she has for her breeding dogs, and her hip, eye and patella clearances. These are all going without mention which would lead me to beieve they do not exist.

Also few reputable breeders feel a need to post 'testimonials'.

Karlin said:
Another worry is that they state the cavalier has few health problems and will likely never need more than a booster shot and an annual vet visit.

This is simply untrue and any reputable breeder will explain each key health issue in the breed.

Now we all know...that is an out and out lie!! Should anyone tell you that you need to run as fast as you can away from that person. Jeesh!! :x

Thank you all for your informative posts. Hopefully we will be able to find a reputable breeder soon.

Thanks again

Faldo.

Faldo:

I'm sure many people here would be willing to help you find a reputable breeder and the perfect cavalier for you. If you post your general location, folks could give you leads and referrals via pm. I checked the rules here before I posted this just to make sure it's acceptable...and it is.

If you don't have your heart set on a puppy, perhaps a rescue would work for you. There are several organizations with links in the Rescue Forum here. Maybe there's a special cavalier nearby just waiting for YOU!

Good luck!
Mickey

Back