Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walkies

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walkies

Hi All, Just a quick question to you all.......

How many times a day do you walk your dogs, and for how long.

Bailey is now 8 mts and I wanted to know if I am walking him to much or not enough.. I know his bones are not fully formed so I don't allow him to jump off things (if I can help it) but just need a bit of advice on the walking.

Thanks Kerry
    Kerry & Bailey

Post Thanks / Like

I walk Holly every morning before work for about 30 mins. Then in the evening i'll try and bring her out for 45 mins.
    On saturdays i bring her for a good 4 mile walk... weather permitting. I've been doing this for months now. She seems well able for it.
    When she was younger, she'd want me to pick her up for a few minutes during the 4 mile walk.
    She's loves her walks.... and it's good for me too.
    Yvonne
    Yvonne

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to say... Hollys 11 months old.
    Y
    Yvonne

Post Thanks / Like

Kerry,

At that age I would only gently walk mine 2 x 15mins max daily with a little lead practice in the garden and toy fun and games during the day as well. You can do simple training at home in the garden or join a puppy class one evening in the week if you feel you want to do more.

Make sure he gets plenty rest for those little bones to grow! you will have years to do the long walks later on.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, agree with Alison. Mine get two walks a day for about 30-45 minutes each but we only walk slowly as I can't rush with my back and we don't tbh cover a huge distance. My youngest son very often does the second walk for me and will take them a couple of miles at least. They always come back exhausted when he's had them out He does usually stop halfway for them to have a lie down for about 20 minutes though whilst he chats to his mates & they get lots of fusses

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my God... you're soooo lucky. Holly wants to be out walking constantly. She hates coming in from her walks.
    Y
    Yvonne

Post Thanks / Like

Kerry,

should I tell you for some comparison that my Shelties like an hour in the morning and another in the afternoon if they can get it, mostly they get 30-40 mins for the second walk... thats alot of fast power walking and jogging during the day for them plus a bit of agility now and again if I have the energy left!!

on top of that....

Whitney gets her own 30 mins in the morning which I just love, she is my leisure walk...nice and slow with lots of chats to other walkers... she then joins the Shelties in the afternoon for the mad 30-40 mins off lead in the park with balls/toys and a little obedience training thrown in as well.

Wow they keep me slim and fit, I sleep well every night!

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Post Thanks / Like

When I have my dogs I try to let them run free a least an houre a day, and if I can, take a walk too.
    -Jenný, Ronja, Bono and Nóra

"If you want your dreams to come true, you have to wake up"

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou that's really helpful.
    Kerry & Bailey

Post Thanks / Like

I must say that I think I have a cava-lab. Kos gets 3 walks per day - about 1/2 hour each walk (weather permitting.) On top of that we play fetch and "chase" in the house for about an hour per day. He never settles down except for a long nap in the morning, and then he crashes (really hard) about 10pm every evening. If he's being extremely naughty (who, Kosmo?) I will give him an extra long evening walk as that's the only thing that will settle him down. He does like his walkies though.
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*