Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walkies

Post Thanks / Like

Gus is definitely not a morning dog... I think he gets that from me! He likes to go out first thing just to go to the bathroom then he locks his little legs and won't go any further. Then at noon we go out for about 30 mins and then at night another 30 minutes. With about 3 trips to the dog park a week to run free.

He does start to pant about the second block... do others cavs do this??
    Kath

Post Thanks / Like

gosh..i think ive been walking my two way too little now that ive heard all you guys...i take my two for one 1 hour walk each day around 3 pm (weekdays)..and on weekends two 1 hour walks - morning and evening...is what im doing during the weekdays too less?
    xXNishaXx
    Milo & Monty~ (Males, Blenheims, born 25/11/05 )
    Ally (Daschund - not with me)

Post Thanks / Like

Default walking

my two go out 3-4 times a day they have 3, 20 minute walks and 1 ,30-60minute main walk ive done that since they were 8months
    christine and cavaliers molly+charlie

Post Thanks / Like

Coco has 1 1/2 hours walk every weekdays, and at weekends, we normally bring him to the beach, the parks.....
    He has far TOO much energy, if he doesn't get his walkies he won't be going to bed at all (sometimes he won't go to bed even when he had his walkies)

Post Thanks / Like

Misha gets 3 5-10min walks and 1 30-60 minute walk. He's always gotten 1 30-60 minute walk and now he's 10yo. Weekends sometimes up to 90mins. Yesterday, I took him to a festival and we walked around for 2.5 hours. I'm just amazed at how these little guys can go!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Misha is doing really well for someone who is 10 years young

Yvonne, I think as long as you and your baby are both happy with your walks it doesn't really matter. My two also run around the house and garden like lunatics and we play chase and ball a few times a day too so they get plenty of exercise.

I think most Cavaliers will make sure that they themselves get their exercise in. If Charlie hasn't had a long enough walk he'll have not one but 3 or 4 zoomie fits round the house until he gets so tired he'll just flop down and sleep

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

I took Dudley & Darby to the park last night and yes I let them off leash, nobody was around and Darby was so happy to have such a wonderful run. It is raining and wet here in Toronto today, so does not look like they will be able to go. I have promised myself to be more consistent with the walks or running.

It was so wonderful to see Darby running after Dudley, but yet always checking to see if I was around.

If I go right at dinnertime seems like not a soul is around.

The boys love it, and jumped right into the van as they were pretty tired.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh wonderful, it's lovely to let them have some free running when you have somewhere safe to take them.

I do think it is good for them to be able to have a really good run.

Mine have about 1/2 hr freerunning on the beach or at the heath every day, the younger boys have toys that they chase so that really exercises them and gets their brains working. TedBear is great at quartering an area to search for his toy...

They also have a very large garden to run around in and we play games at home.

It's difficult to find a balance when you have oldies, poorly dogs and young ones, but this seems to work for us. They are all muscled up nicely and fit, and keep their weight just right.

Do be careful with younger ones, esp under 9 months, who are still growing. Frequent short exercise sessions are best, they should never be so tired that they collapse with exhaustion.

Also be careful to avoid letting them run up and down stairs, preferably until at least 9 months. A few steps are ok, but not a staircase, as this puts a lot of strain on their joints.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org