• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cody got snipped

moniechris

:? Poor little guy. My littlest man is not much of a man anymore...lol. When I picked him up with that big dumb cone on his head I almost exploded with laughter, but I didn't want to hurt his feelings. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep him comfortable after this most uncomfortable operation?

BabyCody013.jpg
[/img]

Bet he'll be his normal self by morning, after the anaesthetic wears off.

In my experience few dogs actually need a cone and I'd take it off. Unless you see him pulling and biting at the stitches (just a bit of licking is OK) I'd not put it back on. Also you can get a baby onesie from a thrift shop or a Target or somewhere cheap, cut a hole for his tail, and put him in that instead. Prevents him chewing the stitches and a lot more comfy than the cone. Just unsnap and roll up for his wee and poop trips. Just be sure it is large enough to fit him easily.

Onesie

Thats a great idea with the onesie..a heck of a lot more attractive too. I got him two from Ross for $3.99 a piece and they are adorable. I wonder if it would help him with his potty training...he hasn't quite gotten the concept that outside is for potty, not just for playing. I've heard of belly bands that are supposed to assist with potty training. The onesie should serve the same purpose...maybe?

aw !!! little guy looks well comfy and warm. :p jadan not long ago had his manly bits taken away too and he was bouncing out of the vets door!!! didnt take him long to get back to normal at all. he didnt have a colar on and hasnt really botherd with it much at all. took him back for his check and everything doing well. small scab but other wise ok. sure yours will be just fine in no time. ;) :p

Brady got his manhood removed this past Friday and he was doing great that night. A little sleepy, but still wanted to play. I find it hard to get him to calm down since he's not supposed to be too active for the first little bit. The idea of the onesie is too cute! I can just picture it.

Re: Onesie

moniechris said:
Thats a great idea with the onesie..a heck of a lot more attractive too. I got him two from Ross for $3.99 a piece and they are adorable. I wonder if it would help him with his potty training...he hasn't quite gotten the concept that outside is for potty, not just for playing. I've heard of belly bands that are supposed to assist with potty training. The onesie should serve the same purpose...maybe?

I wouldn't use a onesie or belly band for potty training. There is plenty of housebreaking advice on this board!

Gus got fixed 2 weeks ago... he was fine the next day and really had no interest in his stitches. I did put the cone on him at night for about a week, because I didn't want him messing with them in the middle of the night when I wasn't watching.

Oh no! You guys shouldn't have said anything about the baby onesies. I have to go buy some now! Do you just use scissors to cut the tail hole? I don't sew! Will the fabric fray?

I bought a onsie for Cody but lo and behold, mommy still thinks he is much smaller than he really is...don't all mom's think that? lol They will always be our babies. Anyhow, Cody couldn't fit in the onsie I bought :( but i went to my local Pet Supermarket and they had dog onsies that look like baby pj's. On the cover it actually has a tri colored cavalier modeling. Too cute. Alas, it has a cut out so they can conviniently use the potty, which leaves the area open for him to get at his stiches. Defeats the purpose but he looks cute as heck. He doesn't seem to be bothering the stitches at all so I am just going to take the loss and keep the pjs anyhow. Pictures will soon follow, I can assure you :) Here is a great link for doggie pj's

http://www.doggievogue.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?hid=1&id=15

Oh no, the poor babies. Many people told me that I should get Coco's little manhood removed :shock: I just couldn't do it to my little baby, but I don't know what to do with him when he's older.

I was worried about getting Gus fixed too. But he was starting to get bullied a bit at the dog park... my vet said it is b/c other males are smelling the testosterone and they need to dominate him. which was not good because cavs are such lovers. I have to say, three weeks later, Gus is no different but he is right back to having fun with the other dogs and they aren't bothering him.

hi

ive not thought about getting charlie done he is 21months now and has never botherd molly so i have just left him, do they need to be done or not ?he is a bit grumpy outside with other male dogs :|

Molly and Charlies mom: Is Molly fixed? If not then I would DEFINITELY get Charlie fixed. The surgery doesn't seem to bother them that much, Cody was ropping and playing a few hours after he came home. The main reason I got Cody fixed is because I didn't want him going nuts when there was a female in heat in the neighborhood. This can be a big issue because he could potentially run away. Not to mention the leg lifting an humping of beds, people and other dogs.
Wesley also got beat up at the dog park by another un-nuetered male and that about made my decision for me. That was the scariest day in my life when a pit bull mix had Welsey by the neck. I cry just thinking about it. His apointment is set for November 22nd.

hi

molly was done a year ago so im safe there my friends dog never leaves her alone even with her being done ,charlie shows no interest with any dog(must be the only male who dosent) as for other male dogs outside charlie dosent like them he will growl first so carnt let him of the lead or he will end up in trouble he is happy with just me or molly .....

moniechris said:
Not to mention the leg lifting an humping of beds, people and other dogs.

That's exactly why my Charlie is at the Vet's getting done, at this very moment. Of course, all day he's all that's been on my mind here at work, concerned about his recovery. Tonight we get to pick him up at the Vet's, and I just hope he won't be in much pain :(

He will do great. Cody napped for most of the evening the first night and you could just tell that he wanted to play with Wesley so bad but he just couldn't. The next day though they were back to barrel rolling each other through the dirt in the back yard (with me freaking out on the porch that his stitches were going to get pulled or filled with dirt). He is all fine though and I am sure Charlie will be the same way.

Thanks, I'm sure he will be fine. He's getting a "3 in 1" with getting neutered, an umbilical hernia fixed, and baby teeth pulled, all at once. I think he's going to be one grumpy little puppy once we get him home. :x

Christine, I don't have my Bentley neutered either, he is 16 months old. I guess I haven't gotten him neutered mainly due to fear of complications.....now that being said, I do realize that complications are very, very rare, and almost never ever happen, I am just sort of in "worry mode" right now. Another reason I didn't get him neutered is he doesn't leg lift and doesn't hump anything, and he never goes off leash and he doesn't go to a dog park (right now the dog park here has too many large aggressive dogs). Any time he is outside he is always with me only, and always on a leash. I do, however, worry about things like a higher incidence of testicular cancer in un-neutered dogs. I'm not against neutering, in fact ALL of my previous male dogs have been neutered (and one did have some complications, altho minor), and I really do believe that you should neuter. But, like I said, I am just a bit overwhelmed right now due to some personal losses in my life (my father passed away a year ago, my mother 6 years ago, and my brother-in-law just this past Spring), so I am just feeling unsure of things right now and not wanting to jump into any big changes (neutering feels like a big change right now). Not sure if that made any sense?! LOL!

That photo with the onesie on is so adorable!! Glad he is doing so well!!

Duh.....when I said that I really believe that you should neuter, that didn't come out right.....what I should have said was... I do agree about neutering, especially for health reasons. But, I do think that if you choose to not neuter, and are careful, that is OK too. Not sure if I will neuter Bentley, thinking maybe not.

Back