• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Teaching the Stand command

arasara

How on earth am I supposed to teach the stand command and for those of you that have therapy dogs, how stiff was your instructor with this command?

I know it's part of the test, but how strict are the "judges?"

I am trying to teach Kos this command, but I am having a much easier time teaching him to play dead. It seems really simple to make him stand up, but as soon as I say "stay" he looks at me and sits down. I guess I have taught him this with automatic sits and not being petted from strangers or anything unless he was sitting down, but I am having a terrible time trying to teach him how to stand and stay there.

Anybody been through this before? What are your ideas?

Thanks ;)

Im so GLAD you asked this question, Ive been wondering the same thing. If Hogan "ball" drops and his Teeth come in right he has to know the stand command~ Ive been working on this with liver treats....But he looks at me like Im a nut case for asking him to stand? He already at 13 weeks knows sit and stay...but stand~ I dont even know how to apporach this.

Never fear new puppy people...Potty Trainging isnt as easy...sit, stay ...its all good....dont go there, no potty inside...forget about it ......squats and schrunches 5 minutes after being outside....Dear Hubby is cleaning carpet as we speak...lol.

His breeder "stacked" him from the time he was born and Im afraid the last three weeks hes lapsed and I can no longer get him to stack~ Jeeze Im hoping Im using the right term?

Any suggestions welcome....*sigh* dog trainer Im not~ but hes a wonderful boy going to the Starbucks drive thru........ :lol:

To teach stand I usally lure them up from a sit...to begin I just ask for a stand..tell them good stand and give them their release word...slowly lengthening the time before I give the release...I won't use a stay at first....if necessary I will put a hand along side his back leg to kind of hold him in an upright position..

this is a picture of Riley (it's easier to show on him) and where I would put my hand..and I would hold the lure in front of his nose and stand by his side ...

IMG_16312.jpg

IMG_16322.jpg

once he has a pretty solid stand in position then I'll add a stay..and still stay by his side with giving any help he needs (ie hand still in place..lure still in place)...gradually I will move a step away...it can sometimes take awhile especially if you have a wiggly dog...people use to laugh at Riley because his whole body would be wagging with his tail but he wouldn't move his feet..which is what a stand stay is..*G*

Never taught this to a cavalier but with our pyrenees we would sort of caress the same spot shown above three times, kind of getting the leg in position and pushing lightly against the area where the belly joins the leg, each time saying 'stand, then we'd come to the front of the dog and say 'stay'. And she always did.

Try these:

http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/commands/stand.pdf

http://www.loveyourdog.com/stand.html

If the dog is sitting when you give the command 'stand' then back up and reintroduce the command. In other words train the action and then reward (click and treat for example) and after he is doing the action you want, then introduce the command as he goes into the position and treat. For some reason he has associated the word 'stand' with you wanting him to sit -- sp don't keep asking him to stand which will further confuse the situation, until he gets the desired action down, THEN reintroduce the command.

Imagine that you had not correctly understood a term while learning to ski and every time the instructor wanted you to snowplow, you'd stop instead. Unless he goes back and shows you that snowplow means an entirely different action, and teaches you that action too, you are just going to be terribly confused when he says 'snowplow', you promptly 'stop' and are pleased you have done what was wanted, and then he says no, no, no!

Stand is a nightmare. Bradley won't do it and Misty never got the hang of it either :(

Actually, if I issue no command at all, Bradley will remain standing if we halt. He just thinks everything means sit (except sit!) at the moment.
He's trying it on ;)

We brought Coco to a Breed show, it was a nightmare!! :yikes
He wouldn't stand still for even 2 seconds, when I put him on the table he just sat down straight way, and when the judge was examing him, he tried to lick her and nearly fall off the table. :oops:

Debjen,

Thank you for your wonderful examples of teaching this command..

Karlin,

Thanks for the links and knowledge.

when the judge was examing him, he tried to lick her and nearly fall off the table.

:rotfl: That is totally something that Kosmo would do!!

I am glad I am not the only person having an issue with the stand command. If he's sitting down I will coax him into a stand and then say "good stand" but as soon as I tell him to stay he sits back down. :?

I think I will have to do what you suggested Karlin, and start back at square one. I also haven't been using a clicker with this command. It never occured to me to do so, but I've had great success with the clicker in the past and maybe that just might do the trick.

Wish us luck!! :flwr:

I taught Cedar to stand using the method described. Use a treat in front of the nose and move it away as the dog goes to the treat. They will stand. You can put your hand gently under the belly if they stay sitting; they will stand up and understand what you want them to do.

Like any command, it takes a while. Cedar is a year old and has her CGC, but stand is a command that we havent been a diligent with so she's not 100%. I was really proud of her, though, as she did it perfectly to demonstrate to the puppy class the other night. It's taken a year of training for her to do it sporatically. So keep at it! You never know when the lightbulb will go on and she'll get it!

I needed to do 'stand' with Izzy for obedience and found it easier to work with him on the landing and me kneeling a few steps down the stairs, so my face was level with his. this makes the 'led tickle' easier.

If you have one that really enjoys being touched, sometimes they will keep sitting just to get you to touch them again...

I trained the stand by looping a lead under the belly - at first holding it taut but gradually loosening it so that it only came into play if they went to sit. This worked really well for me and is easier if you're not so flexible and find it hard to bend down to put your hand down under them...

Maxx will stand beautifully for me but Charlie - well, he's a nightmare :lol: Stand means sit. Sit means wag tail etc, etc, etc. He does know how to do them all and what they all mean but if he's in one of his moods or he sees the grooming brushes I might as well talk to him in Japanese :roll: :lol:

My rally instructor showed me a real cool way of teaching my dogs to stand. With the dog sitting in front of you facing you. VERY SLOWLY inch towards them. The dog will stand. If he doesn't stand, he knows you will step on him. As soon as he stands, click and treat. You don't want to move quickly because you don't want to freak them out, but if you move slowly and carefully, they will stand. I have been trying to lure them in a stand with no effect. Gem was standing in no time flat. (I hope this explanation makes sense, if it doesn't I'll try to figure out how to download a video)
J.

My challenge is getting Abby to move so I don't run her over with my wheelchair....she's getting it, slowly but surely.

Back