• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cailean's Not So Good At The Moment

misty

Poor Cailean's coughing a lot more.

I took him to the vet and I'm not very happy with their diagnosis of bronchitis :?

This goes against all my instincts ... it wasn't his usual vet. His usual vet treated Declan to the end, and has seen Cailean most of the way through.

It's not the kind of vet practice where you can stipulate which vet you see, but I'm about to phone them and demand to see his normal vet.

Had a disrupted night with Cailean til he finally went to sleep at 1.30 am.
He was so overheated - panting like mad. It wasn't even a warm night, but we had the window wide open and I ended up giving him a bit of a trim to try and cool him off a bit. He finally wanted a drink and wee at 1.30, then came back up to the bedroom and fell fast asleep! Bless him.

I am sorry to read this but it may be true. Arne has been coughing a lot more recently and I have given him benylin the original one. His coughing was not at the usual MVD times (when he had been sleeping etc) and that has helped him a lot.

Hugs to them both.

Fran,

sending (((hugs))) for you both, fingers crossed you get to see the vet you want and he soon picks up for you, :flwr:

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

I phoned the vets this morning and spoke to the head receptionist.

Our fav vet, Helen, is away for the rest of the week, so I explained that I want to see one of the vets that has treated Declan and is experienced with MVD. We're going down tomorrow. In the meantime, I've upped his Vetmedin myself!

I will get some Benylin tho', Arne. That is a good idea. What sort of cough has Arne got at the moment? Is it possible to describe over the 'net? Cailean's cough does sound different, sort of wheezier than normal, but it still ends in that sort of clearing throat/chokey MVD noise if you know what I mean. Not overkeen on antibiotics if he doesn't need them.

Thx everyone.

Yes likewise...hope you both got some sleep.

Let us know how you get on at the vets...everything crossed here.
Norma, we hope Arne is a bit better too.

The vet said his heart sounded relatively "good" for his condition. She thinks he'll just have to live with the cough.

I had to panic, because if something had gone wrong, I would've never forgiven myself. I know how quickly things can go downhill with MVD, having nearly lost him in the summer.

The vet has prescribed him an extra Corventyl each evening.

Last night he slept well. He's flat out on the sofa at the moment, but will no doubt come to life when I take him to bed in a minute.

Don't think the vets appreciated me being such a 'fussy' customer and Cailean's singing on the vets table wasn't appreciated, although hubby and I were in fits of laughter. Cailean was chatting away in his own sweet fashion, bless him - lots of woo's and ow-woo's and those yawns they do that sound like a song :)

Thx for all your concern.

Fran x

Dearest Fran,

I have only caught up with this thread now. I am sorry to hear that Cailean has been feeling poorly, but I am very glad you guys had a good night last night.

Glad your vet was able to open up a spot to see him - in my opinion that's a large factor in having a really god vet - flexibility..

What a hoot he is!! I would love to hear "caily woo woos" (or something similar to that icon_nwunsure ) with his woo wooing! I am sure the vet didn't mind his singing too much - at least he's showing personality!! :)

Glad you guys are doing better.. keep us posted Fran! :flwr:

Fran,
I know all about those yawns that sound like songs! :lol: :lol:

Hope Cailean is feeling better! :flwr:

Oh Fran,

I'm so sorry, I've only just seen this thread. I've not been on the computer much over the weekend :(

I hope Cailean gets better soon, bless him. I can't understand the Vets not liking his singing :roll: My Vet and his staff expect Maxx to sing to them when we go there and if he doesn't, they ask him for a song :lol:

Maxx and Chalie send big doggy hugs to K-Lun XXXXXXXXX

I missee this thread before, but Izzy had had a few rough days too with much more coughing, ending almost in a whistle. Every time this happens , I panic (especially about a month ago, when he was breathing very heavily and I took him to the vets, expecting the worst). Frusicare, as he has started retaining fluid sorted him on that occasion, so he's now on Fortekor, Vetmedin and Fortekor. I find that he coughs more around weather changes, be they hot or wet and think it's something to do with air pressure. his last really bad do was when the hot weather had actually eased, but the air was very oppressive.

Seems like there are lots of us on the knife edge.

At the end of the day Fran, you are the customer and I always make sure I get to see who I want.... I hope he is feeling much better now, hugs and kisses on their way from me and my guys.

On very good advice I asked my vet for Millophyline when Josh was bad like this. Apparently it is an old drug (I can remember using it in the 80's) and some of the newer vets don't use it, but it proved wonderful for Josh and helped with his breathing and coughing enormously.

Good to see you posting again Ruth :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Thanks for the tip about that drug...not one I know, will go and do some research...

Back