Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sex and Color

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sex and Color

Im not sure if this has been asked on here as I am quite new here. I was just wondering what previous owners thoughts on whether to buy a male or a female. I know most literature today says boys and girls are about the same . In the past I know everyone said that girls were better. My husband's family has raised Labs and have always gotten females because of that mind set so my husband was set on getting a girl until I told him that these days sex doesnt really matter and both sexes will give you the same amount of love. I guess with Labs and other dogs people prefer girls because they wont get as big and perhaps dominance wont be as big of an issue. We both have now decided that we will go in buying with an open mind and let the best puppy for us choose us but would love to hear what Cavy owners have to say

The same goes for color. We want the best pup for us so color is secondary to everything else but of course we both have our personal preferences (Tri for me Blen for him) and was just wondering what was your favorite color of Cavy

Like I said Im new at this so I apologize if this has been talked about before Im just curious from a new buyer point of view Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I personally love the rich color of the rubies, though being on this board I'm falling in love with a bunch of beautiful tris, blenheims and black & tan's too.

As for sex, I wanted a girl dog at first. I'd only ever had girl dogs before. I was afraid of male marking behavior - like leg lifting etc., but I was planning to get my dog neutered fairly early anyway so told it did not matter. I've also been told male dogs are a bit more loving and clingy and those were qualities I was interested in. My little guy is everything I wanted and I'm so glad I didn't go for the girl dog this time around.

Good luck. No matter which dog you choose, I have no doubts it'll be the "right" one if it's a Cav.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

Default hi

ive got a tri and a blenhiem my tri is a girl ,as for what sex i couldnt say what sex but i do know that charlie my blenhiem boy is much more affectionate and molly my tri is happy to be on her own
    christine and cavaliers molly+charlie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boys rule!! (only in cavaliers though :) )

When I was growing up, I was raised with German Shepherds and Border Collies. Because our family had several children we always had females because of the dominance issues with the larger working breeds. With Cavaliers however, nothing could be further from the truth. I have two boys who are the most affectionate, outgoing and happy dogs I have EVER met.
    Several of my mother in-law's friends have all females and they seem to display more alpha characteristics then the males do (this is just my experience). Again, "alpha" in a cavalier and "alpha" in a working breed such as a lab or Shepherd are two completely different catagories and the behaviors are extremely different. The female cavaliers are loyal, affectionate and sweet too, but tend to be a bit more picky in who they prefer to share their love with (again, personal experience, not universal).
    If you are concerned about marking and humping behaviors, get the boys fixed early and you won't ever have to worry about it. In all other breeds I prefer females, but with cavaliers, my boys are the best snugglers on the planet.
    As for color, that is a personal preferance. I recomend scrolling through the multitude of pictures on this site and see the transition from puppy to adult and see which you like the best. Their faces change a lot as they grow so the precious short nose puppy you buy may not be at all what it looks like as it develops.

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in your shoes a little while ago and I asked the question about sex of dog. Most said a girl loves you but a boy is in love with you! This link with take you to the topic...

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3600

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

I have two, Dudley who is 3 months short of being 3 a male Bleinham I also always wanted a girl. At the time my breeder only had males, I would'nt change a thing. He is the most affectionate little fellow anyone could ever ask for.

Second time around I did not even consider a girl, another boy his name is Darby and he is a Ruby he is spunky and full of personality. He is also very loving and affectionate.

The old saying goes The Boys are in Love with You and The Girls Love You, I do think like so many others will most likely advise you to let the puppy pick you.

We did that the first time, but the second time we had no choice as Darby was the only Ruby in the litter and we had our hearts set on a Ruby.

Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Hello!
    I had this same question when I was looking into buying a cav. I used to read that males are more loving, but many breeders would tell me that that is a myth. I decided that I would choose either a male or a female; I just wanted a healthy, happy puppy. I chose (between two girls and a boy) based on temperment.

My little girl is actually quite attached to me (maybe too attached to me!). She is very loving, loves to cuddle and sit in my lap. At the same time, she loves meeting other people and is perfectly happy to cuddle with other people. I couldn't be happier with my choice.

I really wanted a blenheim, but now I am in love with tricolors too, as well as rubies and black and tans!!

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting topic - our little girl is super cuddly - she always wants to be in our laps, and give us lots of kisses - I don't know if that will change as she grows, but as far as I'm concerned, she's as loving as we could want!
    ======================
    Krista & Willow

Post Thanks / Like

Both my girls are cuddlers, but the Black and Tan perhaps more so than the ruby- but that could also be opportunity!
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like

Well, before I got Maxx I had my heart set on a Blenheim girl - LMAO as he's a Tri male

I definitely would say 'Let the puppy pick you' . I will never forget the moment that Maxx waddled over to me, clambered up my legs and sat in my lap on the floor chewing on my fingers

Maxx is extremely loving but not really a lap dog. He prefers to snuggle up to you on the sofa or in bed Everyone who sees us together says that they can see he's in love with me. He rarely takes him eyes off me

Charlie is very loving too but his love is more measured by 'what have you got for me that you deserve a kiss for?'

When I had Whitney for her holidays I couldn't believe how loving she was. She'd jump on my lap as soon as I sat down and would smother me in kisses without being asked However, the minute her Mummy arrived to take her home, she didn't really want to know me any more

My next Cavalier puppy will be a Black and Tan and quite possibly a girl for no other reason than I want to even out the sexual equation slightly. I am the only female in a 5 male household