• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sex and Color

enchantingdragon

Im not sure if this has been asked on here as I am quite new here. I was just wondering what previous owners thoughts on whether to buy a male or a female. I know most literature today says boys and girls are about the same . In the past I know everyone said that girls were better. My husband's family has raised Labs and have always gotten females because of that mind set so my husband was set on getting a girl until I told him that these days sex doesnt really matter and both sexes will give you the same amount of love. I guess with Labs and other dogs people prefer girls because they wont get as big and perhaps dominance wont be as big of an issue. We both have now decided that we will go in buying with an open mind and let the best puppy for us choose us but would love to hear what Cavy owners have to say

The same goes for color. We want the best pup for us so color is secondary to everything else but of course we both have our personal preferences (Tri for me Blen for him) and was just wondering what was your favorite color of Cavy

Like I said Im new at this so I apologize if this has been talked about before Im just curious from a new buyer point of view Thanks :)

I personally love the rich color of the rubies, though being on this board I'm falling in love with a bunch of beautiful tris, blenheims and black & tan's too. :)

As for sex, I wanted a girl dog at first. I'd only ever had girl dogs before. I was afraid of male marking behavior - like leg lifting etc., but I was planning to get my dog neutered fairly early anyway so told it did not matter. I've also been told male dogs are a bit more loving and clingy and those were qualities I was interested in. My little guy is everything I wanted and I'm so glad I didn't go for the girl dog this time around.

Good luck. No matter which dog you choose, I have no doubts it'll be the "right" one if it's a Cav. :) :xfngr:

hi

ive got a tri and a blenhiem my tri is a girl ,as for what sex i couldnt say what sex but i do know that charlie my blenhiem boy is much more affectionate and molly my tri is happy to be on her own :)

Boys rule!! (only in cavaliers though :) )

When I was growing up, I was raised with German Shepherds and Border Collies. Because our family had several children we always had females because of the dominance issues with the larger working breeds. With Cavaliers however, nothing could be further from the truth. I have two boys who are the most affectionate, outgoing and happy dogs I have EVER met.
Several of my mother in-law's friends have all females and they seem to display more alpha characteristics then the males do (this is just my experience). Again, "alpha" in a cavalier and "alpha" in a working breed such as a lab or Shepherd are two completely different catagories and the behaviors are extremely different. The female cavaliers are loyal, affectionate and sweet too, but tend to be a bit more picky in who they prefer to share their love with (again, personal experience, not universal).
If you are concerned about marking and humping behaviors, get the boys fixed early and you won't ever have to worry about it. In all other breeds I prefer females, but with cavaliers, my boys are the best snugglers on the planet.
As for color, that is a personal preferance. I recomend scrolling through the multitude of pictures on this site and see the transition from puppy to adult and see which you like the best. Their faces change a lot as they grow so the precious short nose puppy you buy may not be at all what it looks like as it develops.

I have two, Dudley who is 3 months short of being 3 a male Bleinham I also always wanted a girl. At the time my breeder only had males, I would'nt change a thing. He is the most affectionate little fellow anyone could ever ask for.

Second time around I did not even consider a girl, another boy his name is Darby and he is a Ruby he is spunky and full of personality. He is also very loving and affectionate.

The old saying goes The Boys are in Love with You and The Girls Love You, I do think like so many others will most likely advise you to let the puppy pick you.

We did that the first time, but the second time we had no choice as Darby was the only Ruby in the litter and we had our hearts set on a Ruby.

Good Luck

Hello!
I had this same question when I was looking into buying a cav. I used to read that males are more loving, but many breeders would tell me that that is a myth. I decided that I would choose either a male or a female; I just wanted a healthy, happy puppy. I chose (between two girls and a boy) based on temperment.

My little girl is actually quite attached to me (maybe too attached to me!). She is very loving, loves to cuddle and sit in my lap. At the same time, she loves meeting other people and is perfectly happy to cuddle with other people. I couldn't be happier with my choice. :)

I really wanted a blenheim, but now I am in love with tricolors too, as well as rubies and black and tans!!

Hope this helps. :flwr:

Interesting topic - our little girl is super cuddly - she always wants to be in our laps, and give us lots of kisses - I don't know if that will change as she grows, but as far as I'm concerned, she's as loving as we could want!

Both my girls are cuddlers, but the Black and Tan perhaps more so than the ruby- but that could also be opportunity!

Well, before I got Maxx I had my heart set on a Blenheim girl - LMAO as he's a Tri male :lol:

I definitely would say 'Let the puppy pick you' . I will never forget the moment that Maxx waddled over to me, clambered up my legs and sat in my lap on the floor chewing on my fingers :lotsaluv:

Maxx is extremely loving but not really a lap dog. He prefers to snuggle up to you on the sofa or in bed ;) Everyone who sees us together says that they can see he's in love with me. He rarely takes him eyes off me :lotsaluv:

Charlie is very loving too but his love is more measured by 'what have you got for me that you deserve a kiss for?' :roll: :lol:

When I had Whitney for her holidays I couldn't believe how loving she was. She'd jump on my lap as soon as I sat down and would smother me in kisses without being asked :lotsaluv: However, the minute her Mummy arrived to take her home, she didn't really want to know me any more :lol:

My next Cavalier puppy will be a Black and Tan and quite possibly a girl for no other reason than I want to even out the sexual equation slightly. I am the only female in a 5 male household :? :lol:

I have four boys who range from wanting just the odd ear rub, to can't get rid of him, but have never had female cavaliers. The boys are more affectionate than my female springers were, though.

The sex topic was discussed among another cavalier group and most people prefered dogs; even show people, because the males keep their coats better. Of coure, this wouldn't apply if the female was spayed. People who prefered bitches tended to be those who had only had experience of bitches or those who didn't like boys' rude bits.

I think you lose your preference for certain colours as you meet more cavaliers. At first I only liked Blenheims or tris, avoiding rubies,as Monty's breeder said she found them less robust. The few black and tans , I'd seen, had the type of eyebrows which made them look grumpy, so I didn't fancy those either.

Having met or seen lovely examples of all four colours, I would now happily have any one of them. Oddly, since speaking to Monty's breeder I have only seen chunky rubies and none of the little fragile ones.

Having met or seen lovely examples of all four colours, I would now happily have any one of them. Oddly, since speaking to Monty's breeder I have only seen chunky rubies and none of the little fragile ones.

Hi Barbara

Here is a picture of my Darby's mom, I don't think she is a chunky girl. ;) ;) ;) ;)
Lady_20_Feb1.jpg

I have my breeders permission to post her picture, so no worries.

Before we bought our first cavalier, we liked tri-color best, then blenheim.

We bought a tri female puppy first, and she is such a loving girl, never aloof! In social situations, she personally greets every person in the room - it's amazing to see how much she loves each and every one. She is so gentle with children - even toddlers - she will kiss their hands and wag her tail and never try to jump at them.

We also have a blenheim male and a b&t female who we love as much as our tri, and someday I'm hoping to have a ruby. I will let the ruby pick me, and not worry about gender.

But as I've gotten to know more cavaliers, I realize it isn't the gender, or the color - it really is the dog. Each cavalier is different and I do think it's nice to let the puppy pick you. Our first puppy picked us!

I always wanted a boy which seemed odd to a lot of people. When we got Duncan, blenheim and tri were the only colors I was really familar with. I had seen the whole colors but wasn't too interested.

Just recently when we decided to get our second. We debated between girl and boy quite a lot but decided that two neutered boys would suite us. And after being on this board, I just fell in love with the rubies (TedBear and Darby really stole my heart...no offense to all of you other beautiful ruby boys)

I couldn't be happier with my two snuggle bugs. They lay lengthwise along my leg all night long and then every morning I get one on each side for a 1/2 hour back rub (they aren't spoiled, promise!! icon_whistling)

I do believe my boys to be perfect but I think the best advice is to choose the puppy that best suites the personality you are looking for and the one that chooses you right back!

I don't think you can generalize along color or gender lines. We have had many many dogs over the years, each with their own unique personalities, some smarter than others, some more affectionate. We currently have 3 boys/1 girl. They are all super affectionate and outgoing. Each has their own special personality and we love em all! Our smallest, the girl, is the boss!

I have a boy and a girl and they have totally different personalities. We got Riley first (blenheim female) and Fletcher (Ruby Male) followed a few months later.

Riley is very independent and loves you on her terms. She is super sweet in the mornings (I think because she wants me to get up and get her breakfast ) :lol: . I adore her, and she likes to snuggle but not near as much as Fletcher. She is content to lay by herself or do her own thing most of the time.

Fletcher is (as the girls above said) in love with me. He is much more affectionate and lovey dovey than Riley. He has to either be by my side or Rileys or he gets upset. So i have to agree with the saying (the girls love you, but the boys are in love with you). At least that is true in my case, but I'm sure all cavs are different! But I love them all and I think all the colors are just wonderful!

Good luck with your choice! :)

After researching many, many breeds, I decided that cavaliers would be the perfect addition to our family. Ironically, I'd never seen one until after I made the decision that I "had to" get one. I love black and tans because their coats seem so shiny and their markings are similar to those big rotties and dobies - but the cavs are such little love bugs.

To be honest, my first cav was a boy 'cause the breeder (who has since been convicted of illegal business practices and forbidden to sell dogs now :sl*p: ) priced males a bit lower than females. Bailey was the ALPHA, a barker, biter, OCD, and food protective...all very un-cavalier traits.

Well, after learning my lesson (the hard way), I went about getting my second cav a bit differently. I researched the heck out of breeders, and then I let her decide which pup she felt would be best for us. She knew I wanted a b&t, but the only thing I insisted was NOT getting the alpha. Cosmo was the sweetest little guy! He adored me and the feeling was mutual.

Cav #3 came to us the same way; the breeder made the selection based on my desire to have a b&t and my insistence to NOT have the alpha. He's the perfect match and has to be snuggling with me all the time.

Cav#4 was an owner surrender; a female ruby. Although she has some issues, she wants to be near me at all times...but not necessarily snuggling. She's a bit different than my other cavs, but I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that she's a ruby or female. She came from a loving, though less than ideal first home, and I think that made her a bit fearful. But she's a love.

I think I want a tri next...or a blen...but I'll probably have to get a new husband first! :badgrin:

Thanks everyone for your responses. I love hearing about how you guys picked your own pups. I must admit after only being on this site for a few days I have a growing fondness for the black and tan pups now. Im sure its only a matter of time before the Rubys grow on me too. I do appreciate all your insights though in helping this newbie :D

I have found that my male and female cavs are exact opposites. My male is very timid and shy. He is small and slim. He is also a one woman man (that woman being me! :luv: ) He is very attached to me and I am told that when I am not there he looks for me until I come home.

My female, on the other hand, is her own woman. She is strong and confident. She does not have to be doing what everyone else is doing. She is content finding her own way to do things. But, when all is said and done, she is just as much as a lovebug as my male is, if not more cuddly and sweet. She is the first to fall asleep on me at night and loves cuddling up to me. ;)

As far as I am concerned with cavs, there is no wrong choice. I am totally in love with both of my dogs' personality and color! :D

Oh and I wasnt sure if people thought this but I dont think color has anything to do with temperment, behavior, etc I was just curious to see what color people fancied as we all have a favorite. My personal fav is a tri but Im open to the best puppy for me and thus will pick the puppy not the color. :) Just want to see what your personal fav is thats all

Back