• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Drinking to fast...

moniechris

I'm having a problem with Cody, my 3 1/2 month old blenheim. He chugs his water down so fast that he pukes it up minutes later. He doesn't do it with food, just water. He vomits this clear thick fluid, which is totally gross. My mother in law's cavalier does the same thing....Is there any way to prevent him from doing this??? Does anyone else's dog do this??? I read about the bowl that slows down eating, but I don't think it would work for water. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :yuk:

Hmm..

Does he drink like this all the time? Does he always have fresh water in his bowl or are you giving him a drink every few hours? How are his pees? Does he go a LOT ?

Everything else about him is totally normal. He usually drinks like this after running around and playing then just drinks way too much at a time. Then up it comes. There are two bowls of fresh water (I have three dogs so one is never enough) which I refill and change every few hours. It's not that I am concerned there is a medical condition associated with this, because he only does it after high activity. I just want to figure out how to get him to slow down!!

TBH with you I've never had this problem. Does he run off after drinking so much and then puke or is it right when he's left the bowl? I am thinking I know when I was little and I took a huge drink of pop then went on a ride at the fair.. well.. the pop came back up because my tummy apparently wasn't ready for being thrown around yet.

I sometimes have a problem with Kosmo eating treats too fast and then choking but I've been hounding him with the word "SLOWLY!" all the time and it seems to be helping.

Good luck, I hope others here can be more help! :flwr:

Maybe you should limit his water intake for a bit after high activity periods. Perhaps put a cup of water in the bowl and wait 15 minutes after he chugs it (and doesn't up-chuck it) before adding another cup. He certainly needs water, especially after exercising, but it seems like he doesn't know when to stop...until he's over-done it.

My first cav died of bloat (too much water in a short period of time), so I'm extra sensitive on this subject. Bloat is rare with cavs, so you don't need to freak out, but smaller portions spread through out a longer period of time is probably better for him.

Mickey

Geordie has done that before on rare occasions.

You might want to ask the vet about it on your next visit.

I used to have a tiny maltese mix dog who did that almost daily. She'd just take another drink and be ok. She did have a partially collapsed trachea, which is not uncommon in the toy breeds. She lived to be 14.5 and was not bothered by it.

Charlie does that a lot too. He'll gulp down a bunch of water, be so hyped up, running around & jumping, that next thing we know he vomits a little puddle of like clear gel-like water. Pretty gross, but I've just learned to simply clean it up w/ paper towels.

I don't think anything's wrong w/ Cody, but if you want to eliminate this from happening, maybe you should just leave a tiny bit of water at a time in his bowl?

I think dogs should have access to a bowl of fresh water at all times, unless the vet says to withhold water for a good reason. :flwr:

Pixie's done this a couple times...usually after playing hard...she just drinks too fast. My neighbor's poodle does the same thing so she uses a water bottle on the crate, says he can't drink as fast out of it.

4180100.jpg

Back