Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruby Here

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only just seen this now, I'm sorry you had to go through this worry and I'm very happy it's all going to be ok.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

So glad to hear that Duncan is going to be ok. You must all have been so worried
    Ollie Roxy Bailey

Post Thanks / Like

Oh hooray!!! I had a big smile myself when I got the part where Dad got the great news!! What a relief!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so happy to hear Duncan will be ok What a relief.

I'm really looking forward to hearing about your summer adventures when things are back to normal there!!! to all of ye!

Post Thanks / Like

Sydney here,

Duncan had his follow up at the Vets today and he is doing very well and the lesions and inflammation are almost completely gone now. We again thank all of you for your kind words and thoughts. It saw us through a very hard time. Of course, Duncan was a poor sight when he came home from the Vets office that first evening after his surgery so he curled up in one of the wing chairs in the kitchen. Mom and Dad didn’t mind considering what he had been through. Notice his little shaved right leg where they had the IV in. We felt so sorry for him and we occasionally helped him lick his leg.

But now that our significant and extremely stressful medical event is behind us and Duncan is going to be fine, lets move on to our summer trip. Of course, after the new addition, the historic discovery that Noah’s Ark was built specifically for Cavaliers, and then the Iditarod dog sled race, it was summer and once again time to hit the road on some of our summer travel adventures.

First stop was New York for a few days in the Hamptons. The Hamptons are located on the far eastern tip of Long Island New York, about 2 hours east of New York City. It is not merely one small town or place but pretty much refers to the entire eastern tip of Long Island. It has many small villages with names such as East Hampton, Southampton, Bridgehampton, etc., which is why it is simply called “the Hamptons”, and it is also famous for being the vacation spot for multi-millionaires and movie stars.

We go to the Hamptons every year because Mom was born in Southampton and raised in the village of Sag Harbor, New York where her family still lives. Sag Harbor was settled in 1707 and just celebrated their 300th anniversary. It is an old whaling village and was once the largest port in New York, even exceeding the port in New York City, although today it is much smaller and the place where the huge luxury yachts dock. It has managed to retain the charm that so many cities in America have lost with a walkable downtown with tree lined sidewalks. While we wish we could take all of you for a visit so you can see how pretty it is yourselves, we can show you a few pictures. Here is but a small portion of Main Street. (Mom and Dad walk down in the mornings to have coffee and pastries from Schiavonis Market with us and we all sit on a bench and watch all the people. Mom and Dad drink their coffee and everyone comes by and tells us how cute we are.)

The movie theater which doesn't have 15 screens,

And the Five and Dime store:

After coffee, we stroll over to the wharf and see all the yachts. We are afraid we took this picture on the day after Labor Day and a lot of the really really big boats had already left, but we still like to hang out in Marine Park and watch the boats come and go.

On the walk back home, we always love to stop at the Customs House. Remember how we told you the port in Sag Harbor was bigger than New York City? Well, because of all the ships that came into Sag Harbor, President George Washington created the first Customs House in New York in Sag Harbor in 1790 to collect customs taxes. Of course, we don’t really care about the taxes, we just love the big yard and whenever we pass by, Ruby and Duncan and I pull on our leashes with all our might just to make sure we get to play in the big front yard. I guess all that sled pulling in Alaska paid off, huh?

That's enough for this posting. In our next update, we go to the beach and you can't miss Duncan's first visit to the ocean. There's no telling who we'll run into at the beach in the Hamptons, so check back with us to find out who we hobnob with.

Ruby and Sydney and Duncan in Virginia

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Duncan....you look so bereft!! But so glad you had Sydney and Ruby to help you mend. What scare you gave us all!!

The pictures of Sag Harbor are beautiful. What a unique little town. Looks like you all had a great summer. Can't wait to hear more.

Hugs little man!!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you're on the mend Duncan
    Those photos are lovely, looks like you all had a great summer. Looking forward to hearing more
    Ollie Roxy Bailey

Post Thanks / Like

Sydney here,

Of course, what the Hampton's are known for are their beaches. And it is the beach time that we really look forward to when we can hobnob with the rich and famous without Mom and Dad crimping our style. So, after our walk downtown and before it gets too hot, Ruby, and Duncan, and I sneak out of the house, load up in the car with our beach chairs and umbrella, and drive down to the ocean. This was Duncan's first trip to the ocean, so the minute I stopped the car, Duncan was off. He couldn't wait to feel the sand on his paws and the surf on his face.

The ocean was so exciting to him, he ran from one end of the beach to the other, over and over again.

First he ran to one end . . . .

Then he turned around and ran back to us and kept right on running and ran to the other end with his ears extended to increase the cooling effect:

After a few trips back and forth he finally started to wind down . . . . .

and finally settling down with me to explore the sand in a more leisurely fashion as always with an eye for something dead and stinky to roll in so as to have a nice smell we could all enjoy on the drive home. Of course, after we get back, Mom and Dad always get in the car and always look at each other wondering where that stench could ever have come from.

Notice also how we have the entire beach all to ourselves which is pretty amazing but it helps us keep our secret talents really secret.

Ruby doesn't like her picture taken at the beach, because she says all that sand and salt water makes her hair all messed up and she isn't pretty, so I made sure I got at least one picture of her. My desire to take her picture when she least expects it probably goes way back to the time she snapped that photo of me typing on the computer for Human Talk at the dining room table (remember?). I really thought it was so very funny, but she chased me all over that big beach wanting to delete that picture, but I kept the memory card so you could see:

Our time at the beach was fairly limited, because we had to get back before Mom and Dad missed us and reported all of us and the car as being stolen. But we had a fun day and as we were leaving, we told Donald Trump, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Leonardo Dicaprio that we'd have to catch them later (sorry no pictures, we promised them their privacy when we get together but boy are they a hoot).

After a full day at the beach for Mom and Dad (nap time for us back at the house), it was time for our favorite part of the day - DINNER! Mom and Dad drove over to Montauk to eat some really good fresh seafood at Montauk Harbor. And since we are already there, we always like to stop and walk around Montauk light house. Like the Custom's House in Sag Harbor, this light house was also commissioned by President George Washington to help guide the ships into safe waters on their way to Sag Harbor.

While we were there, Duncan managed to snap this picture of me and Ruby so you too can see what the light house looks like. I think he’s beginning to get the hang of using the camera but he still sometimes takes a picture of his paw instead of us.

Before we knew it, our time in Sag Harbor was over but if you are ever in the Hamptons in the summer, be on the lookout for three Cavaliers in downtown Sag Harbor or passing you on the way to the beach. It was now time to move on to the next leg of our trip, traveling to Vermont by way of Connecticut and Massachusetts. We'll update you on what we saw and what we did along the way. Can't promise much mischief, but if you know us, we're bound to find something interesting along the way. Just ask our best buddy Jack Nicholson - right Jack?

Last edited by Sydney; 23rd September 2011 at 01:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

What an inspiration you are Duncan. Being that we live close enough for a nice drive out to the Hamptons, I almost never think to go. What a great idea for some nice fall pictures. My husband was working in Sag Harbor towards the end of the summer. I'm sure he didn't know about it's history. He will now, thanks to one smart puppy Thank you for sharing and glad you're feeling better.
    Dawn &
    Chloe tri 1/07

Post Thanks / Like

Ruby here,

Sorry we have been gone for a while. We have been so busy. First was the little medical relapse with Duncan, who is better thank you. Second, there was of course Christmas. We hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. But I will have to admit that while everything about our little secret is still secret, Duncan's second Christmas with us caused Sydney and me a frightful scare. It seems as much as we warn Duncan about not doing anything that will reveal our secrets to Mom and Dad, lo and behold what should happen but Mom caught him making his Christmas list. However, to Duncans credit, he thought very fast and . . . . . . well, lets just save that little story for another time. Let me just say that so far our little secret about our talents remain a secret and you will laugh when we tell you how. But first, we have to finish telling you about our vacation trip.

After we left Sag Harbor New York, we took the ferry from Orient Point, New York across Long Island Sound and landed at Groton Connecticut. Driving north across Connecticut and Massachusetts, we soon arrived at our destination, Burlington Vermont.

Burlington is such a pretty town located on Lake Champlain and directly across from New York state. The weather was so very warm and splendid, so we ended up spending a lot of time down by the water relaxing and taking in the sunshine. Here is Sydney getting a little bit of sun:

And then there was Duncan who decided he too needed a little time basking in the sun himself:

Personally, I think I cut the most striking pose by the waters edge, but since its my turn to tell this segment of our story, I guess I will have to leave it out. But just for the record, you would have been very impressed with my look.

Continuing on through Vermont, we stopped at the Ben and Jerry ice cream factory. Darn what a shame that all three of us are lactose intolerant because we could have eaten that factory right out of business. Thats okay because I would occasionally bark at something and when Dad looked away I would lick his ice cream cone. I though it was funny when he kept saying that ice cream didn't last nearly as long as it used to.

After leaving Burlington, our next stop was Stowe Vermont, which is famous for its skiing, but as you can see from this picture, there wasn't any skiing going on while we were there.

And of course, no visit to Stowe would be complete without stopping at the Von Trapp Family Lodge. Most of you are familiar with the Von Trapp family from the Sound of Music so you are aware that the real Von Trapp family, after escaping from Austria, settled in Vermont because it reminded them so much of their beloved Austria. They opened a lodge in the mountains above Stowe and Capt Von Trapp and Maria are now buried here. Although we found out later, dogs are not allowed, but we did manage to sneak this picture before we left.

Dad lived in Germany for almost six years so he was telling Mom later how he could see how much it would remind them of Austria because the lodge looked like so many of the houses and buildings in Germany and Austria. Hopefully, one day you can visit Vermont and see Stowe and the lodge too.

Leaving Vermont, we drove on to New Hampshire and saw a Moose which Duncan and Sydney barked at but it didn't budge. I asked if we could take it home as a pet, but Mom and Dad didn't listen. Sydney said later that if we could have only gotten Mom and Dad out of the car, we could have put that Moose in the back of the car and snuck it home, but they never got out.

Our trip continued to New Hampshire and the highest mountain peaks on the east coast of the United States, Mount Washington and then onto Massachusetts. But that's where I'll have to end my little story for tonight. I have got to run now because Dad is coming down the stairs. Check back in and I will show you where and how the American Revolution started.

Last edited by Sydney; 10th December 2010 at 08:29 PM.