Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: Ruby Here

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info! That's very helpful I'll go out and try to look for some of these car seats.. the ones I've seen at the stores don't look as nice as yours though,

2. Thanks Sydney thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ruby here,

We'll get back soon with some more of our travel advice, but we realized it's almost Christmas and we haven't given you our Christmas update. Normally this is where we relate how we go get Mom and Dad's tree, decorate it, wrap presents for them, or just get into some normal Cavalier mischief that leave Mom and Dad scratching their head. However, Sydney and Duncan and I were on our way to the mall the other night to do a little Christmas shopping for a gift for Mom and Dad and on the way, Duncan made us realize something a little sad. We know that all the Cavalier owners on this web site live around the world in many, many different countries. The readers of our adventure know how much the three of us love to travel. What made us a little sad is the fact we would probably never get the opportunity to travel to see where you celebrate your Christmas. So, since we will probably never see where you live and celebrate Christmas, we would like to give you a little Christmas gift by showing you where we celebrate our Christmas. Enjoy and we hope wherever you celebrate Christmas with your Cavaliers, it is a joyful and happy day.

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...edium=text_url

Ruby, Sydney, and Duncan in Virginia

Post Thanks / Like

Ruby, Sydney and Duncan:

That was beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing.
    Phyllis in West Virginia USA with two Clumbers and a Cavalier Named Buddy

5. Thanks Sydney thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Duncan here,

Now that I've modeled our car seats for you, I hope you don't tell any of your Cavaliers, especially your males. Sydney and Ruby promised me the previous post will never see the light of day on "Human Talk" so other Cavaliers could see me. I would appreciate it if you didn't let your "boys" know. I'd never live it down if you do. Anyway, back to traveling.
    So now you can see how we travel long distances. But what about short trips around town. With a simple modification we are ready to go. First we remove the car seats and spread a nice soft warm blanket on the seats. We leave the seat belts connected and the car seat web belt connected.

Now we are ready to go. We clamber in to our spots and Mom and Dad connect our harnesses to the web belt connected to the car seat belt. Here is Sydney in her spot all buckled in and ready to travel:

Here I am in my spot to illustrate again how we are strapped in. I like to travel with at least one toy whenever I go somewhere in the car. This photo taken by Sydney gives you a better view of my harness and how it connects to the seatbelt:

As you can see, using either of these methods (car seats or not) keeps your Cavaliers or other pets safely separated and keeps them from playing, fighting, etc.

But where do we stay when we travel? We use several online travel sites and pre-plan all our trips before we leave the house. Some of the sites Mom and Dad use include:

www.petswelcome.com
    www.dogfriendly.com
    www.letsgopets.com
    www.bringfido.com

Finally, although not a complete list by any means, we've also included just a few useful tips we find beneficial whenever you're traveling with your Cavalier:

If your Cavalier is not used to being in the car or if you are planning on driving long distances, acclimate your pet by taking short trips and gradually lengthening them until he/she is comfortable in the car.
    Never allow us to ride with our heads out the window. Although we really, really enjoy it, we could get hurt by flying debris, or develop lung infections or inner ear damage.
    Never, ever leave us alone in a parked car. Even on seemingly cool days, temperatures can rise quickly posing a serious threat to us even if the window is left slightly open. Of course, there is also the danger of tempting a pet thief.
    Use a harness, rather than a collar if you are belting us in and not using a crate and always remove the lead when we are in the car. You don't want to leave it attached and accidentally have it catch on something as you are driving. When you stop, always re-attach the lead before releasing our restraint. That way if we see something interesting and make a dash for it, you have us under control at all times.
    Make sure we are microchipped and also have our permanent ID tag attached to our harness or some other way to identify who we belong to and where we live. Also use a temporary tag attached with your cell phone number when you travel. Include the hotel name/residence address and telephone number where you are staying each night and any other pertinent information. Bring a photograph of us to help identify us.
    Make a list of several veterinary hospitals that are easily accessible from your route, preferably within one hour’s drive from any given point. Check that they will be open during your travel. This tip saved Ruby's life on one of our trips. We'll have to tell you about that one day. It scared us all.
    Be sensitive to where the sun is in relation to our location in the car and high temperatures. When driving for long times in one direction, shifting us to the shady side of the seat can make a big difference.
    Do allow your Cavalier "pit" stops frequently, and a little exercise is good for all of us. Personally, Mom and Dad avoid using highway rest stops and designated pet areas because of all the unknown pets that have used the area and we can't be sure pesticides or other toxins may be present. We leave the highway to find our rest stops.
    Do not feed us in a moving car. Plan on stopping to eat. Remember to give us plenty of water during your travels.
    Don't forget our health certificate and other required documentation as well as any medicine, vitamins or specific food or treats we may need. It's best not to change diet too abruptly so maybe bringing along enough food and water for part of your trip is a good idea.
    Bring food and water bowls (portable bowls are very convenient), a scoop or plastic bags, baby wipes and a first aid kit with tweezers. Flashlights are helpful for late night strolls around the grounds. Bring grooming utensils, a favorite toy and bedding material or favorite pillow for a sense of security.

As you can see, traveling with us takes a lot of pre-planning and a lot of work. However, sad to say, sometimes Mom and Dad can't always take us everywhere they go. In those cases, we certainly aren't left alone; we have a puppy sitter. Mom and Dad use a local pet sitting service - Doodlebug Dog Walkers. They have a service where a person comes and stays the night with us here in our own home. The young lady who is our regular sitter is named Amanda. Amanda arrives at 7:00 PM and leaves at 7:00 AM. We get at least two walks while she is here and we get our dinner and even some treats. She always leaves detailed notes each morning on how we did and behaved so we are always on our best behavior. We like her a lot and when she's in the house we get a lot of internet time to update you with our adventures. During the day when Amanda isn't here, we have a family member come and stay with us until Amanda gets back so we are never alone.

So, I've rambled on enough on a serious topic and now its time to get back to our regular zany stories. Look for our next story where we share with you one of our postings from "Human Talk". We don't often give you a view into the conversations that occur between Cavaliers on our web site but we will give you an ever so slight peek behind the curtain just this one time. Check back to see.

Ruby, Sydney, and Duncan in Virginia
    Last edited by Sydney; 3rd January 2012 at 08:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    would you please ask your mom if she uses car safety harness from Snoozer? I am interested in the car seat you have and also need a new harness for my boy, Bee, a 3yrs old Blenheim.
    thanks
    kitty

8. Thanks Sydney thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

hi
    ruby is so so beautiful

10. Thanks Sydney thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Duncan here,

Okay, we have never done this before and this will probably be the only time we do it, but we promised you a little peek into “Human Talk” so let’s get busy. We are going to break this up into two separate postings because we don’t want this to get too long.

If you remember, “Human Talk” is much like “Cavalier Talk” but for Cavaliers only. Most of YOUR Cavaliers, who will remain anonymous, are regular contributors to this site and post some really funny stories and pictures of our human owners. But you can’t tell any of your Cavaliers about THIS post on Cavalier Talk. If other Cavaliers find out we are discussing “Human Talk” with humans, we may be banned from the Cavalier family and “Human Talk”, so mum’s the word. Ready? Here we go:

From a posting on 3 September in the forum “Traveling Solo” (A forum which is devoted to techniques utilized by Cavaliers to travel incognito without their owners):

J*** and S*****, I know what you mean about traveling “Light”. As for your questions on packing a suitcase, we both know us male Cavvies travel light, right? Although we read “Cavalier Talk” we haven’t found a forum on proper packing techniques for luggage, so we can’t make a comparison. But for Cavvies, no matter how short the trip, even if it’s a quick trip to the treat store, the Cavvie female has to pack EVERYTHING! Look, let me give you an example and all you Cavvie males who live with Cavvie females can confirm. Let’s just say we are going for a simple overnight trip to the Christmas tree farm to get Mom and Dad’s Christmas tree out in the Shenandoah Mountains. When a Cavvie male packs, we throw an extra harnesses, a wrench just in case the car breaks, a map, maybe a toy, and probably a little treat in the bag just to munch on down the road. Ruby and Sydney however, pack everything to include the kitchen sink (why they take the sink is still beyond me). And to carry all that stuff . . . . well, let me show you just so you can shake your head and say “Yes Duncan, we know.”

As an example, this is me and my bag. It’s probably the biggest suitcase a Cavvie male would use, right?

However, notice Sydney. Big enough bag?

In this bag she had managed to squeeze in 17 harnesses, 8 coats, 7 pairs of driving gloves, 36 pairs of booties (girls like their shoes, huh?), 4 boxes of squirrels (a baker’s dozen in each box), 18 days worth of treats, 9 toys, a dog bed, 3 scarves, 27 hair ribbons, 14 magazines, and . . . . oh, I’ve lost track of what else but she managed to get it all into this bag. Amazing, but she did.

But wait. You haven’t seen anything yet? You think that was an impressive job of packing. I walked around the corner looking for Ruby because we had to get on the road if we intended to get back before first light. Just as we were getting ready to walk out the door without waking Mom and Dad, this is what I was confronted with:

Seems Ruby had packed four times what Sydney had packed and was having trouble getting her suitcase closed. She looked at me with those big brown eyes and asked me to “pretty please help me get my suitcase closed.” Of course I wanted to know why she need so much stuff for one overnight, but her only response was it was all necessary and being a boy I wouldn’t understand. So, I shrugged and jumped up on her suitcase and didn’t have a single problem getting that oversized suitcase closed.

It’s getting closer:

Done and closed.

And this is Ruby dragging her suitcase out to the car. Well, partway to the car. It was too heavy for her and I had to carry it and get it in the back of the car.

You should read the rest of the postings to this forum. It was probably one of our more controversial subjects. All the girls wrote in to tell us boys how wrong we were and besides, they truly needed all those things to travel with. All the boys wrote in talking of their sore muscles from having to help tote around all this luggage. Guess this is just one of the reasons us boys like to travel with Mom and Dad more than we do solo. After all, the girls can't take their luggage on these trips, huh?

In our next posting we'll wrap up some highlights from "Human Talk" and then start preparing you for our spring and summer travel season. Maybe you can vote on where you would like us to go this year. Maybe Key West or Miami Florida. Maybe somewhere else exotic, but help us decide.

Ruby, Sydney and Duncan in Virginia
    Last edited by Sydney; 18th June 2013 at 07:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ruby here,

Happy Thanksgiving from Virginia. Hope everyone ate lots and lots of food and have let their pants out. Sorry we've been away for so long but we've been ever so busy. We really want to update everyone on our adventures while we've been away but we also have something to tell everyone about our little gang of three. Duncan will be back soon to tell you some really exciting news . . . well exciting for us. Mom and Dad aren't so sure about this news but now that its happened, they'll just have to get used to the NEW normal around here. We'll be back soon with the news and some photo's.

Ruby, Sydney.and Duncan in Virginia

Post Thanks / Like

Ruby here,

Hello once again from Virginia. The gang is once again back and going as strong as ever. We've been amazingly busy but a little bit slower, now that we're getting older, with a bit fewer trips. Yes, even I can admit we are getting older but we are no less ready for a wee little adventure and have we had some adventure while you were away. A lot of driving, a lot of mischief, a few close calls with Mom and Dad, but never been caught. But we really wanted to get back and tell you about something much, much better. In our last post, we told you about some exciting news . . . . So without further ado, let me introduce you to the newest member of our adventurous little band of merry wanderers!

LIBBY

Yes, another day and another rescue and now we are FOUR! Where do I begin telling Libby's story. Hhhmmmmmmm, yes, let Libby tell her story. She can tell it so much better the I can. Her story will most likely bring a tear to your eye but, being smart humans, you can probably already surmise that it has a very happy ending. Now that we have whetted your appetite, we'll be back soon with Libby's tale . . . . . and of course some more photo's.

Ruby, Sydney, and Duncan .....and now Libby too in Virginia.
    Last edited by Sydney; 18th June 2013 at 07:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ruby. Thanks for the update! Libby is a beautiful girl -cant wait to read her story. Tell her she sleeps just like my Trapoer -with the tip of her tongue peeping out.
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008

15. Likes Sydney liked this post