• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ruby Here

What beautiful places you've been!!! The Von Trapp place is gorgeous!! And that moose??!! Oh my gosh...he's huge!!

Ruby here,

As they said in the movie Poltergeist, "They're back." That's right, we are back. I know, I know. You are thinking, "Where have you three little scamps been and what trouble could you have possibly gotten into that would prevent you from writing us for so long." Let me just say that it is a long and almost tragic story and we will catch everyone up in our next post. In the meantime, the trio is back and ready to once again give you a glimpse into our sometimes wacky but always adventurous universe. So for now sit back, enjoy, and we will catch you up in no time at all.

6153975267_77d0cbaf96_z.jpg

Ruby, Sydney and Duncan in Virginia :paw:

Last edited:
Hi, I have a Sydney too, he's 11 yrs old. I'm looking forward to reading about all your old adventures and then the new ones. can't wait to get to know you all.

Hey, neighbors from across the mountains in Ol' Virginia. Over here in West Virginia we have been wondering and worrying a little about what you all have been up to and where you have been. Looking forward to an update soon!

Ruby here,

It is so good to be back. For those of you who have been following our post and are curious about our absence, Duncan has posted a note in the General Cavalier Health forum on the reason why. Let me just say that we almost lost Sydney due to a severe case of meningitis but she is now recovering and progressing nicely. In response and to celebrate, we are back to bring you more of our crazy travel Cavalier adventures.

When we last left you we were in Vermont. Sydney and Duncan had met a friendly moose and we were considering options on getting it into the car to take home. Our plans changed when we saw that moose go to the bathroom. We do not have a poo bag nearly big enough to clean that up so we decided to leave mr. moose right where we found it and we were off to New Hampshire and the top of Mt Washington. This mountain is the third highest peak East of the Mississippi River, with the tallest being Mt Mitchell and Clingmans Dome in North Carolina. Mount Washington once held the world record for directly measured surface wind speed, at 231 mph (372 km/h), recorded on the afternoon of April 12, 1934. Although this record was surpassed by Cyclone Olivia in 1996, Mt Washington still holds the Northern Hemisphere and Western Hemisphere record. The winds get so strong on this mountain, the observation house is actually chained down with logging chains to keep it from blowing away. Talk about a wind that would blow your Cavalier ears back, I think that would be it.

Of course confronted with such a challenging mountain, we had to climb it. So after a rigorous climb to the top (while asleep on the back seat of the car), we naturally had to take this photo of us successfully summiting the peak. We got the idea from watching humans climb to the top of a mountain called Everest, so we figured we had to do the same since I'm sure these two mountains are about the same height. Notice Duncan being the gentleman and blocking the wind from mussing up the girls hair.

2888974174_b2b85a4fce_z.jpg

Once we had successfully summited Mt Washington, we were off to Massachusetts for a little Revolutionary War history. Our first stop was in Lexington, right outside Boston. According to our history lessons, there seemed to be a small disagreement between our American humans and their British cousins a long, long time ago. From what we Cavaliers can deduce, some of the biggest arguments between humans always seem to occur between family members. Seems like such a shame but we Cavaliers liken it to a disagreement over a bone, so we understand. It got to be so unfriendly that on April 19, 1775, Paul Revere and William Dawes rode out of Boston to warn the people of Massachusetts that British regulars were coming to confiscate militia weapons, gunpowder, and supplies from the village of Concord. In response, the Minutemen of Lexington, so named because they could be ready to fight in as little as a minute, gathered at Buckman Tavern to await the British arrival. We marked this historic site (no Duncan did not mark it in a boy Cavalier way - but he thought about it) with this photo of us in front of Buchman Tavern. Notice, I am more interested in a passing bird and Duncan just needs a nap. Sydney was pretty indifferent to the whole history lesson.

2888128311_f0d6276c7a_z.jpg

As the British marched into town, the American Minutemen left Buckman Tavern and marched onto the Lexington Common in order to block the British advance and this is where the story gets ugly. Seems everyone had guns and someone, no one knows whether they were British or American, fired a shot. This caused the British regulars to fire. No matter the dispute over who actually fired first, when it was over 8 Americans were killed and 10 wounded. One British soldier was wounded. While the British regulars marched on to Concord, the people of Lexington began to gather their dead. Today, the Lexington Green is a lot more peaceful and just a perfect place for a little Cavalier to rest her weary feet. I like how Duncan is always on the lookout for trouble and makes sure no one starts any.

2888946628_c58976d229_z.jpg

Before leaving, we made one last stop at a statue to the Minutemen of Lexington and then . . . . .

2888951050_090f8fa834_z.jpg

Car is coming. Gotta run for now. You all know the reason why if you've kept up with the narratives of our trips. Next we are on to Concord and it has nothing to do with grapes or grape juice, just another history lesson. Can't wait.

Ruby, Sydney (recovering nicely thank you), and Duncan in Virginia. :paw:

Last edited:
Ruby, those are great pics!! I teach 3rd grade and we are just learning about Paul Revere's Ride and the Revolutionary War. I wonder, if I PM you my email address, would you send me some of the pics you took there so I can show my students? They LOVE my Cavaliers and they would love to see pcitures of you in front of the places they are learning about! I bet they would find history much more interesting if it included Cavaliers.

It's fantastic to have you back, we're really missed your adventures and wonderful photos!

Sorry to hear that Sydney was so ill, sounds very scary, off to read that thread.

Holly,

We would be pleased to send you copies of any of our photo's. Anything to help those young human students learn about history. Sydney does most of our editorial work and is our creative designer, so if you send us your email address and what you would like to see, we will have her get right on it. Boy, oh boy, if Mom and Dad ever find out what we're doing here, we are in really big trouble. Our little secret.

Ruby, Sydney, and Duncan in Virginia

Hi Ruby, my name is Claire, and I just got done reading your, Sydney and Duncans great adventures. Let me back up a bit.

My mom has been hanging out on CT for about 9 months now. And generally I'm not interested. But the last day she has been laughing and showing me pictures of 2 cute Cavalier girls, and most recently making over that cute redhead Duncan. Well yep, that got my attention, as he sure is a handsome dude (btw I'm a redhead too!).

Anyway, mom is busy getting ready to go to a football game, and I took the opportunity to pop on and say hello (while she wasn't looking, of course, have to keep the Cavalier 'powers' secret). But most important, I wanted to say how sorry I am over the tough go you've all had with Sydney. I'm just glad she is better. Give her a gentle hug from me.

Okay, need to run......mom is on a mission, and I don't want her to notice I was using the iPad.

Talk again soon, and I'll be sure to check out 'Human Talk'. I bet we could write a book about all we know about humans.....

Lol!

This is the funniest thread i have ever read!

I have been cracking up going through it! Love the photos and love hearing the adventures :):lotsaluv:

Hi Sydney, Ruby and Duncan,

Charlie and Ruby here!

This thread started before we were born soo we have been reading this over the last couple of nights! We think you are very funny!

Charlie really likes Ruby, he thinks you are very beautiful......... oh hang on....... \Charlie here!!! I just said she was very pretty and reminded me of you! You said that Duncan is very handsome!!!

Ok ok get off you little scamp! Anyway, mummy used to take me on lots of adentures, ive been on Steam trains and everything! Charlie has never been on an adveture as mummy is on her own now but she promised to take us on holiday next year!

Hi Kokoda here!

I love reading about your travels. You lucky dogs to go so many places!

My mummy was looking into getting a car seat for my travels and I love the look of yours.
What is it?

Lots of Licks,
Kokoda

Duncan here,

After leaving Lexington, like the British soldiers on April 19, 1775, we marched on to the village of Concord. Unlike 235 years ago, we went by car, my prefered method of travel. As the British marched out of Lexington, word spread quickly about what had happened and, like disturbing a hornet's nest, local American militia had quickly begun to gather from far and wide near Concord. When the British arrived in Concord, they split up, with some searching the village. Others marched out of town to search a local farm where arms and ammunition were thought to be stored. It was this group that met the militias at the North Bridge over the Concord River. It was here at the North Bridge that we stopped and grabbed a photo - but sadly, without us.

These two forces now confronted each other at the North Bridge. Before long a shot rang out, and this time there is certainty from depositions taken from men on both sides afterwards that it came from the British ranks. It was likely a warning shot fired by a panicked, exhausted British soldier from the 43rd Regiment of Foot, according to the British commander Capt Walter Laurie's letter to his commander after the fight. Two other regulars then fired immediately after that, shots splashing in the river, and then the narrow group up front, possibly thinking the order to fire had been given, fired a ragged volley before Laurie could stop them.

Two of the Minutemen, Private Abner Hosmer and Captain Isaac Davis, who were at the head of the line marching to the bridge, were hit and killed instantly. Four more men were wounded, but the militia only halted when Major Buttrick yelled "Fire, for God's sake, fellow soldiers, fire!" At this point the lines were separated by the Concord River and the bridge, and were only 50 yards apart. The few front rows of colonists, bound by the road, and blocked from forming a line of fire, managed to fire over each others' heads and shoulders at the regulars massed across the bridge. Four of the eight British officers and sergeants, who were leading from the front of their troops, were wounded by the volley of musket fire. At least three privates (Thomas Smith, Patrick Gray and James Hall, all from the 4th) were killed or mortally wounded, and nine were wounded. Today one of the British soldiers is buried in Concord and two are still buried here at the North Bridge.

This photo shows us playing the British soldiers and facing the American militia. The obelisk in the background is where the British actually stood all that time ago. Sydney was afraid someone was going to fire a musket again, so she was keeping an eye peeled just in case the British came back and fired another shot. Ruby kept looking off in the direction the American's marched from in 1775 and was screaming, "They're coming. They're coming." This just freaked Sydney out even more. As for me, I couldn't get the timer on the camera to work and could never get back and pose in time before the stupid thing went off. This is the best shot out of about 50 that I tried.

Of course, equal time for the American militia, so we turned around and faced the way the American's were looking, towards the bridge, during the battle. The statue behind us was erected in 1875 on the 100th anniversary of the battle and represents a farmer who leaves his plow and picks up his musket to defend his land and liberty.

The British quickly retreated and, in their long march back to Boston, had to battle the militias the entire way suffering significant casualties. So, the die was cast. What might have been was no more. The American Revolution had begun. A famous American poet made this battle famous 50 years later when he wrote a poem called the Concord Hymn. The most famous portion I'll recite here and which appears on the statue at the North Bridge:

By the rude bridge that arched the flood,
Their flag to April’s breeze unfurled,
Here once the embattled farmers stood,
And fired the shot heard round the world.

From Concord, we made our way back to Virginia and one more trip was complete. We have lots more stories to tell and we still haven't shown you any pictures of Boston which we took while we were there. Maybe in a future post we will show you Boston from our perspective. Just a hint of what's to come. I've been working diligently in the basement to try and recover any photographic proof of our victory in the Iditarod Dog Sled Race and I think - - - I think I might have been successful. Stay tuned and I will let you know and hopefully show you. Right now I have to run. Hope you learned something today. I know I have.

Ruby, Sydney, and Duncan in Virginia :paw:

Oh Duncan, finally, I was worrying something had happened. I can't type long, but certainly appreciate the history lesson! I am young, and haven't learned much of that.

Hope things are going well, and looking forward to your next adventure. And of course, we never caught up on the Hamptons, and Boston. So I'll be waiting patiently, or not so patiently, as my mom said I am NOT patient.......oh gotta run, here comes mom.

Claire

False alarm, it was just the silly cat.

When I was talking about being young, and not knowing all that, well, my mom has never told me all those stories.....I think she must have been sleeping that day in history class.

Heh, is your human dad a history professor or something? He takes you all this historical places, and has even worked along the way......I was just curious.

Ruby here,

Remember our post on how we won the Iditarod Dog Sled Race in Alaska and they denied us the win. Turns out it wouldn't look too good if three Cavaliers won the most difficult sled dog race in the world over so many other dog teams. If you also remember, they took the memory card from our camera so we wouldn't have any evidence. Weeelllll, it turns out they didn't get all our pictures after all. Duncan was down in the basement the other day running some serious forensics on our memory card and he was able to recover a few pictures. So, without further adieu, we present the proof:

During the race, whenever we got too far ahead of the rest of the teams, we would stop and take a little break to let everyone catch up. Here's Sydney enjoying a little respite in the howling Alaska snow:

Of course, as soon as the snow storms rolled in, Sydney got back on the sled and I had to pull the sled for the next 60-70 miles. It wasn't easy as you can see:

Duncan found pictures of us on the winners stand after we crossed the finish line way ahead of the other dog sled teams. We are watching with great anticipation as they brought the trophy in from the right side of the stage to present to us. Notice we still have a ton of snow stuck to our fur illustrating this was no picnic and we are one tough Cavalier dog sled team:

And, since I'm writing this post, a little close up of me:

It was about that time the judges came in from the left to inform us that they weren't going to present the trophy to us because . . . well you know the rest of the story. Notice our look of shock and astonishment:

The saddest part is the look on Sydney's face after they took our trophy away. She worked so hard to get us across the finish line and I know it just crushed her little heart for them to take it all away for such a silly reason. Duncan however was just looking for where we parked the car so we could get back on the road and get home to Mom and Dad.

To console her, I quickly rushed over and gave her a great big hug and we slowly walked back to the car. Just to let you know, we quickly rebounded on the trip home because in our hearts we know we won the race fair and square and now we even have the photo's to prove it. Oh, and Duncan rebounded on the way home because we also stopped off in Laramie, Wyoming just so Duncan could . . . . . we'll, let's just say we stopped in Laramie. (Read our Iditarod post. You'll get it.)

P.S. Winter is just around the corner. Hope you have your coats all warmed up and ready to go.

Duncan here,

Okay, after the rather serious story of our trials on the Iditarod, its time for a little humor. So without further delay:

Whatever human said "LET SLEEPING DOGS LIE" evidently sleeps with Cavaliers.

Many of you have your Cavaliers sleep in a crate at night which, by the way, is a topic of great interest on the Cavalier web site “Human Talk”. We won’t go into detail here about how we feel about this issue here, but while putting us in a crate is totally appropriate and probably should be encouraged, we want you to know that Cavaliers love nothing more than to sleep with our beloved humans at night. But before you allow this to occur, we feel it is necessary to warn humans beforehand that our “pack” instincts, which we really can’t control, can lead to some interesting sleeping arrangements, or at least interesting to you humans. You see, when you brought us into your lives, you unwittingly entered into a pack arrangement with us. This arrangement is as ironclad and unbreakable as any contract you will ever enter into. So, before you bring one (or more if you dare) Cavaliers into your bed, be aware of the following “rules”:

Rule Number One: The deeper the sleep the heavier the Cavalier.

The first thing you humans discover when you bring us onto your bed is the striking difference in weight between an alert, awake Cavalier and a Cavalier at rest. Many humans develop spinal deformities rather than rent the heavy equipment necessary to move their snoring cavaliers to a more appropriate part of the bed. Humans who sleep with Cavaliers most often spend the entire night contorting themselves into ever stranger positions whenever we stir during the night, not so much in order to ensure our peace and tranquility, but merely to keep from having to move us. In case you have your doubts, just look at Sydney and Ruby while they sleep. Look heavy don't they?

Rule Number Two: Cavaliers possess superhuman strength while on a bed.

Cunning “cavvies” can steal precious space in tiny increments until we have achieved the center position on the bed - with all the covers carefully tucked under us for safekeeping of course. We’ve learned the “stretch and roll” method is a very effective technique in gaining this precious additional territory. Sometimes less subtle tactics are sometimes preferred. Then there are a few of us more jealous cavaliers who can worm his/her way between a sleeping couple and with the proper spring action from all four legs, shove a sleeping human to the floor. That one is a good one. We like that one if for nothing more than the look on your face as you reappear at the edge of the bed. It makes us laugh. Here's a shot of me looking at Dad sprawled on the floor late one night after giving him an accidental shove.

Rule Number Three: The deeper the sleep, the louder the Cavalier.

As humans invariably cling to the edge of the bed, wishing they had covers, some of us may in fact begin to snore at a volume you would not have thought possible. Once that quiets down, the Cavalier dreams begin. Yipping, growling, running, kicking. Your bed becomes a battlefield and playground of canine fantasy. It starts out with a bit of "sleep running", lots of eye movement and then, suddenly, a shrieking howl blasted through the night like a banshee wail. The horror of this wake-up call haunts you for years. It's particularly devastating when we insist on sleeping curled around your head like a demented Daniel Boone cap.

Rule Number Four: When the Cavalier wakes - you wake.

The night creeps on and you fall asleep in the 3 inches of bed not claimed by us. The single Cavalier dreams on quietly now and if you have more than one, then the entire heap of Cavalier flesh sleeps on - breathing heavily and occasionally kicking. Then, too soon, it's dawn and the pack stirs. You must understand that whichever Cavalier awakens first, they have a duty and responsibility to wake the pack and each Cavalier has a distinctive but normally unpleasant method of accomplishing this task. One may position itself centimeters from a face and stare until you wake. The clever Cavalier obtains excellent results by simply sneezing on your face. Others merely romp all over your sleeping bodies, usually coming to rest on your head. Of course, our favorites are those Cavaliers who love to wake their humans with the ever-loving insertion of a tongue on your face or in an unsuspecting ear.

So, why do we put up with this? There's no sane reason. Perhaps it's just that when we come into your home, we're a pack and a pack sleeps together at night - safe, contented, heavy and loud.

Last edited:
Back