• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ruby Here

Ruby and Sydney here,

Why thank you very much for the compliment. It was very nice and let us just say you are quite the good looker yourself. After seeing your post, Sydney and I were having a serious discussion last night about which one of us you were referring to. Duncan got tired of the discussion and only wanted to go to sleep, so we have agreed you were probably talking about both of us. Duncan is in the other room and he said he didn't think you were referring to him since, as a big strong male, he can't be pretty. Handsome, dashing, debonair and the most interesting dog in the world for sure, but never pretty.
:xctly:

We are off to our next big adventure. Duncan came across some pictures of the two of us when we were mere pups and he is wanting to post some of them. Oh, and he will include more of his sage advice and Cavalier guidance on preparing to live with a new Cavalier puppy. We admire him for doing it because he's a little bummed. Turns out, since he only came to live with us when he was about 2, Mom and Dad don't have any pictures of him as a puppy. So he has agreed to live vicariously through us and include the very first picture Mom and Dad took of him despite him being about 2 at the time and no longer technically a puppy. See you soon!

Ruby, Sydney, and Duncan in Virginia :paw: :paw: :paw:

Last edited:
Duncan here,

The other night I was downstairs recovering our Iditarod photo’s. As I sat there watching the little green light on the hard drive blinking away I had time to think “What is some really good Cavalier advice I could provide to humans.” Then it came to me. Many of you seem to really love us when we are puppies. So, having been a puppy myself at one time, I thought I could provide a little invaluable insight. Insight to those who don’t have a puppy but are wondering what life would be like if they were to ever acquire one. Like to practice before making a huge commitment, because it is a huge commitment? A commitment that, if you are very fortunate, can go for 10, 11, 12, or even more years. If you think you are ready, here are few tips to help you prepare. Oh, and I’ve included a few photo’s to keep you focused on the task at hand. Pictures of my sisters Sydney and Ruby when they were puppies. I’d include pictures of me, but I was adopted when I was 2 and therefore am afraid I lack pictures of myself as a very young pup. So let us begin your preparation for a puppy:

- Pour cold apple juice on the carpet in several places and walk around barefoot in the dark.
- Wear a sock to work that has had the toes shredded by a blender.
- Immediately upon waking, stand outside in the rain and dark saying, "Be a good puppy, go potty now -hurry up - come on, lets go!"

Here is Sydney shortly after starting her life with Mom and Dad. Notice she is already looking down the road and thinking, "When will Ruby and Duncan get here so we can start our adventures?" Always a forward thinker our little Sydney.

6255708451_14c493cb36_z.jpg

- Cover all your best suits with dog hair. Dark suits must use white hair, and light suits must use dark hair.
- Also float some hair in your first cup of coffee in the morning.
- Play catch with a wet slimy tennis ball.
- Run out in the snow in your bare feet in the middle of the night to close the gate.

Here's Sydney being forced to pose with some pumpkins by Mom and Dad. She wasn't real pleased because she didn't like Mom and Dad taking her picture. She prefers those spontaneous shots taken by either me or Ruby.

6255708225_ff17852e7c_z.jpg

- Tip over a basket of clean laundry, scatter clothing all over the floor. Extra points if you can get some muddy with tiny paw prints.
- Leave your underwear on the living room floor, because that's where the dog will drag it anyway. (Especially when you have company.)
- Jump out of your chair shortly before the end of your favorite TV program and run to the door shouting, "No no! Do that OUTSIDE!" Miss the end of the program.

Here's a shot of Ruby. Mom and Dad tell her this was how she was delivered to their doorstep. She's highly skeptical.

258974224_f032ef1f12_z.jpg

- Put chocolate pudding on the carpet in the morning, and don't try to clean it up until you return from work that evening.
- Gouge the leg of the dinning room table several times with a screwdriver – no really, go and do it now, I'll wait - it's going to get chewed on anyway.

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT AND CRITICAL PUPPY ATTRIBUTE OF THEM ALL AND MAKING IT ALL WORTHWHILE?

- Take a warm and cuddly blanket out of the dryer and immediately wrap it around yourself on the coldest day of the year. This is the feeling you will get when your puppy falls asleep on your lap

6304682282_e0ba364909_z.jpg

Now get out there and get that puppy and see what love is all about.

Ruby, Sydney, and Duncan in Virginia. :paw: :paw: :paw:

Last edited:
Ruby here,

The three of us are often light hearted and fun loving but we wanted to share something very serious and special with you. This is the ultimate story of the love between a young soldier and his military working dog, Corporal Kory Wiens and Cooper. Both were killed together in Iraq and were buried together in Cpl Wiens hometown in Oregon. Read the UK Daily Mail story attached and then watch the Youtube video below. No matter what, as dog lovers this story should help remind everyone to remember ALL those in harm's way, even if they have four legs. We think that's what Cpl Wiens would have wanted.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2055235/Army-honours-fallen-soldier-Kory-Wiens-military-dog-Cooper-killed-Afghanistan.html
#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=R_jWCM2VSdg

Rudy, Sydney and Duncan:

Thanks so much for all your wonderful posts this Fall. BudBud and I always enjoy them and so do our Clumber girls. Keep them coming.

Love the stories of all you guys' travels!! Can't wait to see more pictures of your adventures :D

I'm wondering... could you please post one entry describing how all the 3 of you travel around in the car? Did your mom and dad install an extra seat at the back for Duncan? Do the hotels etc. allow 3 dogs? How about when you travel somewhere that you have to fly to? Do all 3 of you tag along or do you go to a boarding place/dog sitter's home?

Love the stories of all you guys' travels!! Can't wait to see more pictures of your adventures :D

I'm wondering... could you please post one entry describing how all the 3 of you travel around in the car? Did your mom and dad install an extra seat at the back for Duncan? Do the hotels etc. allow 3 dogs? How about when you travel somewhere that you have to fly to? Do all 3 of you tag along or do you go to a boarding place/dog sitter's home?

Ruby here,

We'd love to explain the logistics of our trips. However, did you want to know how we travel with Mom and Dad on how we travel on our own like our trip to Alaska? Tell you what, we'll gather some photo's to illustrate both. Give us some time and we'll be right back in a few days with a story on how you humans can travel with your pets safely and comfortably. And as a special treat we will also try something we often don't do. We will copy one of our postings from "Human Talk" on the unique way we travel without our Mom and Dad, incognito of course:cool:. All your Cavalier's get a big kick out of reading about these trips we post on the web site. And for those humans who don't keep a close eye on their little ones AT ALL TIMES, many of them have replicated our treat store trips on their own. Hope you've been keeping an eye on the odometer. We'll be back with an explanation very soon!

Last edited:
Ruby here,

We'd love to explain the logistics of our trips. However, did you want to know how we travel with Mom and Dad on how we travel on our own like our trip to Alaska? Tell you what, we'll gather some photo's to illustrate both. Give us some time and we'll be right back in a few days with a story on how you humans can travel with your pets safely and comfortably. And as a special treat we will also try something we often don't do. We will copy one of our postings from "Human Talk" on the unique way we travel without our Mom and Dad, incognito of course:cool:. All your Cavalier's get a big kick out of reading about these trips we post on the web site. And for those humans who don't keep a close eye on their little ones AT ALL TIMES, many of them have replicated our treat store trips on their own. Hope you've been keeping an eye on the odometer. We'll be back with an explanation very soon!

That's great!! I would love to hear about how you travel with mom and dad AND how you guys went all the way to Alaska on your own. I'm having trouble figuring out how to transport Cadence and Lyra in the car without having to use crates (Lyra hates being in the crate while we're in the car). Plus the crates are bulky and really hard to fit into my small Mazda. It'll be good to know how to strap the dogs in safely so that they don't try to wrestle in the car while I'm driving!

Ruby here,

We are finally back but we have definitely not been idle. As requested by Lyra and Cadence (through their human we're sure) we've taken the time while we've been away to gather some information and pictures on how we travel about from one interesting adventure to the other. Now we are back to share some of our valuable insights and tips for you humans who wish to travel more in the company of your beloved pack.

Where to begin . . . . . Let us start with our really long trips with Mom and Dad where we go somewhere for several days .

For long trips, Mom and Dad had to find a way to keep us securely fastened so we couldn't wander around the car or be hurt if we were in an accident. We know that many humans transport their Cavaliers in crates as your first choice. While this is a totally acceptable way of moving us from one point to another safely and securely, it is really beneath Sydney and Duncan and I. Being confined to a crate - never. So we convinced Mom and Dad that a crate was not our preferred method of travel for long road trips. We suggested they purchase us nice comfortable warm car seats that would keep us safe and secure in the event of an accident, while at the same allowing us to watch the scenery as it whizzed by the back seat windows. After a rather arduous search, Mom and Dad came across a company called Snoozer Pet Car Seats. Yes, of course we found it for them after a little late night web surfing. We left the web site up on their computer so they would know about these seats. Sometimes we think our Mom and Dad can be a little helpless. Here is the web site for those who might be interested:

www.snoozerpetproducts.com

They purchased each of us a medium Lookout II car seat. You could probably get away with using a small if your Cavvie is small but we like to really stretch out when we travel. All three fit perfectly in the back seat of the car and its the perfect size for a Cavalier and allows us to stand up, turn around, and lay back down. It also prevents us from playing together in the back seat and being a distraction. They have a simulated lambs wool lining that can be removed and washed and even has a hidden drawer underneath the seat to keep our leashes, toys, etc. Here is a photo:

6496325183_530480dd69_z.jpg

Each seat is held securely and firmly in place with the seat belts which loop across the back of the seat.

6496324253_9062588374_z.jpg

And now for the most important part of all. We are held securely in place by a web belt with a hook that loops around the secured seat belt and then connects to the buckle on our harness. This prevents us from jumping from one car seat to the other or get into other mischief. We are never allowed to roam about the car unbelted whenever the car is moving and we hope you do the same for your Cavvies. Our parents never hold us in their arms while the car is moving because if we have an accident the air bags could hurt us our even worse. So we stay buckled into our seats using this strap. (Oh, and ALWAYS take our leads off once we are buckled in. You don't want to leave the lead connected to our harness and accidently leave part of it hanging out the car door to catch on something as you are driving.)

6496323345_e0b24e44c8_z.jpg

Now to put it all together, I've asked Duncan to jump up in the car seat and model how it all fits together. Duncan is a little reluctant. Turns out he feels it is not very masculine to be asked to model something. He doesn't think a big strong strapping boy should ever have to "model" anything. He's also afraid this picture will show up on "Human Talk" and the other male Cavaliers will laugh at him. We promised we would not post it except on Cavalier Talk so he was a good sport this one time and agreed.

6496326039_8d12d19467_z.jpg

So now you can see how we travel long distances. But what about short trips around town and where to stay and eat? That will be in the next posting along with some everyday travel tips for you and your pet. After that we'll explain how we travel without Mom and Dad. You don't want to miss that one. Especially the photo's of our luggage. Duncan will explain, but when he tells you about my suitcase, make sure he has pictures to prove what he says. He says I pack a lot for our trips, but I don't think so. Be back soon with more travel tips and more photo's.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! That's very helpful :D I'll go out and try to look for some of these car seats.. the ones I've seen at the stores don't look as nice as yours though, :(

Ruby here,

We'll get back soon with some more of our travel advice, but we realized it's almost Christmas and we haven't given you our Christmas update. Normally this is where we relate how we go get Mom and Dad's tree, decorate it, wrap presents for them, or just get into some normal Cavalier mischief that leave Mom and Dad scratching their head. However, Sydney and Duncan and I were on our way to the mall the other night to do a little Christmas shopping for a gift for Mom and Dad and on the way, Duncan made us realize something a little sad. We know that all the Cavalier owners on this web site live around the world in many, many different countries. The readers of our adventure know how much the three of us love to travel. What made us a little sad is the fact we would probably never get the opportunity to travel to see where you celebrate your Christmas. So, since we will probably never see where you live and celebrate Christmas, we would like to give you a little Christmas gift by showing you where we celebrate our Christmas. Enjoy and we hope wherever you celebrate Christmas with your Cavaliers, it is a joyful and happy day.

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?...kin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

Ruby, Sydney, and Duncan in Virginia

Duncan here,

Now that I've modeled our car seats for you, I hope you don't tell any of your Cavaliers, especially your males. Sydney and Ruby promised me the previous post will never see the light of day on "Human Talk" so other Cavaliers could see me. I would appreciate it if you didn't let your "boys" know. I'd never live it down if you do. Anyway, back to traveling.
So now you can see how we travel long distances. But what about short trips around town. With a simple modification we are ready to go. First we remove the car seats and spread a nice soft warm blanket on the seats. We leave the seat belts connected and the car seat web belt connected.

6496327861_3d6f0704d1_z.jpg

Now we are ready to go. We clamber in to our spots and Mom and Dad connect our harnesses to the web belt connected to the car seat belt. Here is Sydney in her spot all buckled in and ready to travel:

6496326997_b1fafd2b40_z.jpg

Here I am in my spot to illustrate again how we are strapped in. I like to travel with at least one toy whenever I go somewhere in the car. This photo taken by Sydney gives you a better view of my harness and how it connects to the seatbelt:

6496322585_73600c81a8_z.jpg

As you can see, using either of these methods (car seats or not) keeps your Cavaliers or other pets safely separated and keeps them from playing, fighting, etc.

But where do we stay when we travel? We use several online travel sites and pre-plan all our trips before we leave the house. Some of the sites Mom and Dad use include:

www.petswelcome.com
www.dogfriendly.com
www.letsgopets.com
www.bringfido.com

Finally, although not a complete list by any means, we've also included just a few useful tips we find beneficial whenever you're traveling with your Cavalier:

If your Cavalier is not used to being in the car or if you are planning on driving long distances, acclimate your pet by taking short trips and gradually lengthening them until he/she is comfortable in the car.
Never allow us to ride with our heads out the window. Although we really, really enjoy it, we could get hurt by flying debris, or develop lung infections or inner ear damage.
Never, ever leave us alone in a parked car. Even on seemingly cool days, temperatures can rise quickly posing a serious threat to us even if the window is left slightly open. Of course, there is also the danger of tempting a pet thief.
Use a harness, rather than a collar if you are belting us in and not using a crate and always remove the lead when we are in the car. You don't want to leave it attached and accidentally have it catch on something as you are driving. When you stop, always re-attach the lead before releasing our restraint. That way if we see something interesting and make a dash for it, you have us under control at all times.
Make sure we are microchipped and also have our permanent ID tag attached to our harness or some other way to identify who we belong to and where we live. Also use a temporary tag attached with your cell phone number when you travel. Include the hotel name/residence address and telephone number where you are staying each night and any other pertinent information. Bring a photograph of us to help identify us.
Make a list of several veterinary hospitals that are easily accessible from your route, preferably within one hour’s drive from any given point. Check that they will be open during your travel. This tip saved Ruby's life on one of our trips. We'll have to tell you about that one day. It scared us all.
Be sensitive to where the sun is in relation to our location in the car and high temperatures. When driving for long times in one direction, shifting us to the shady side of the seat can make a big difference.
Do allow your Cavalier "pit" stops frequently, and a little exercise is good for all of us. Personally, Mom and Dad avoid using highway rest stops and designated pet areas because of all the unknown pets that have used the area and we can't be sure pesticides or other toxins may be present. We leave the highway to find our rest stops.
Do not feed us in a moving car. Plan on stopping to eat. Remember to give us plenty of water during your travels.
Don't forget our health certificate and other required documentation as well as any medicine, vitamins or specific food or treats we may need. It's best not to change diet too abruptly so maybe bringing along enough food and water for part of your trip is a good idea.
Bring food and water bowls (portable bowls are very convenient), a scoop or plastic bags, baby wipes and a first aid kit with tweezers. Flashlights are helpful for late night strolls around the grounds. Bring grooming utensils, a favorite toy and bedding material or favorite pillow for a sense of security.

As you can see, traveling with us takes a lot of pre-planning and a lot of work. However, sad to say, sometimes Mom and Dad can't always take us everywhere they go. In those cases, we certainly aren't left alone; we have a puppy sitter. Mom and Dad use a local pet sitting service - Doodlebug Dog Walkers. They have a service where a person comes and stays the night with us here in our own home. The young lady who is our regular sitter is named Amanda. Amanda arrives at 7:00 PM and leaves at 7:00 AM. We get at least two walks while she is here and we get our dinner and even some treats. She always leaves detailed notes each morning on how we did and behaved so we are always on our best behavior. We like her a lot and when she's in the house we get a lot of internet time to update you with our adventures. During the day when Amanda isn't here, we have a family member come and stay with us until Amanda gets back so we are never alone.

So, I've rambled on enough on a serious topic and now its time to get back to our regular zany stories. Look for our next story where we share with you one of our postings from "Human Talk". We don't often give you a view into the conversations that occur between Cavaliers on our web site but we will give you an ever so slight peek behind the curtain just this one time. Check back to see.

Last edited:
Hi,
would you please ask your mom if she uses car safety harness from Snoozer? I am interested in the car seat you have and also need a new harness for my boy, Bee, a 3yrs old Blenheim.
thanks
kitty

Duncan here,

Okay, we have never done this before and this will probably be the only time we do it, but we promised you a little peek into “Human Talk” so let’s get busy. We are going to break this up into two separate postings because we don’t want this to get too long.

If you remember, “Human Talk” is much like “Cavalier Talk” but for Cavaliers only. Most of YOUR Cavaliers, who will remain anonymous, are regular contributors to this site and post some really funny stories and pictures of our human owners. But you can’t tell any of your Cavaliers about THIS post on Cavalier Talk. If other Cavaliers find out we are discussing “Human Talk” with humans, we may be banned from the Cavalier family and “Human Talk”, so mum’s the word. Ready? Here we go:

From a posting on 3 September in the forum “Traveling Solo” (A forum which is devoted to techniques utilized by Cavaliers to travel incognito without their owners):

J*** and S*****, I know what you mean about traveling “Light”. As for your questions on packing a suitcase, we both know us male Cavvies travel light, right? Although we read “Cavalier Talk” we haven’t found a forum on proper packing techniques for luggage, so we can’t make a comparison. But for Cavvies, no matter how short the trip, even if it’s a quick trip to the treat store, the Cavvie female has to pack EVERYTHING! Look, let me give you an example and all you Cavvie males who live with Cavvie females can confirm. Let’s just say we are going for a simple overnight trip to the Christmas tree farm to get Mom and Dad’s Christmas tree out in the Shenandoah Mountains. When a Cavvie male packs, we throw an extra harnesses, a wrench just in case the car breaks, a map, maybe a toy, and probably a little treat in the bag just to munch on down the road. Ruby and Sydney however, pack everything to include the kitchen sink (why they take the sink is still beyond me). And to carry all that stuff . . . . well, let me show you just so you can shake your head and say “Yes Duncan, we know.”

As an example, this is me and my bag. It’s probably the biggest suitcase a Cavvie male would use, right?

6687461027_2b871ddbb2_z.jpg

However, notice Sydney. Big enough bag?

In this bag she had managed to squeeze in 17 harnesses, 8 coats, 7 pairs of driving gloves, 36 pairs of booties (girls like their shoes, huh?), 4 boxes of squirrels (a baker’s dozen in each box), 18 days worth of treats, 9 toys, a dog bed, 3 scarves, 27 hair ribbons, 14 magazines, and . . . . oh, I’ve lost track of what else but she managed to get it all into this bag. Amazing, but she did.

6687464855_07f6ca72a6_z.jpg

But wait. You haven’t seen anything yet? You think that was an impressive job of packing. I walked around the corner looking for Ruby because we had to get on the road if we intended to get back before first light. Just as we were getting ready to walk out the door without waking Mom and Dad, this is what I was confronted with:

6687455165_c5776fa45a_z.jpg

6687453211_636b27a1ec_z.jpg

Seems Ruby had packed four times what Sydney had packed and was having trouble getting her suitcase closed. She looked at me with those big brown eyes and asked me to “pretty please help me get my suitcase closed.” Of course I wanted to know why she need so much stuff for one overnight, but her only response was it was all necessary and being a boy I wouldn’t understand. So, I shrugged and jumped up on her suitcase and didn’t have a single problem getting that oversized suitcase closed.

It’s getting closer:

6687457795_1f8ab77173_z.jpg

Done and closed.

6687800193_7c314209c2_z.jpg

And this is Ruby dragging her suitcase out to the car. Well, partway to the car. It was too heavy for her and I had to carry it and get it in the back of the car.

6687803157_1bf1526002_z.jpg

You should read the rest of the postings to this forum. It was probably one of our more controversial subjects. All the girls wrote in to tell us boys how wrong we were and besides, they truly needed all those things to travel with. All the boys wrote in talking of their sore muscles from having to help tote around all this luggage. Guess this is just one of the reasons us boys like to travel with Mom and Dad more than we do solo. After all, the girls can't take their luggage on these trips, huh?

In our next posting we'll wrap up some highlights from "Human Talk" and then start preparing you for our spring and summer travel season. Maybe you can vote on where you would like us to go this year. Maybe Key West or Miami Florida. Maybe somewhere else exotic, but help us decide.

Ruby, Sydney and Duncan in Virginia :paw: :paw: :paw:

Last edited:
Ruby here,

Happy Thanksgiving from Virginia. Hope everyone ate lots and lots of food and have let their pants out. Sorry we've been away for so long but we've been ever so busy. We really want to update everyone on our adventures while we've been away but we also have something to tell everyone about our little gang of three. Duncan will be back soon to tell you some really exciting news . . . well exciting for us. Mom and Dad aren't so sure about this news but now that its happened, they'll just have to get used to the NEW normal around here. We'll be back soon with the news and some photo's.

Ruby, Sydney.and Duncan in Virginia :paw: :paw: :paw:

Ruby here,

Hello once again from Virginia. The gang is once again back and going as strong as ever. We've been amazingly busy but a little bit slower, now that we're getting older, with a bit fewer trips. Yes, even I can admit we are getting older but we are no less ready for a wee little adventure and have we had some adventure while you were away. A lot of driving, a lot of mischief, a few close calls with Mom and Dad, but never been caught. But we really wanted to get back and tell you about something much, much better. In our last post, we told you about some exciting news . . . . So without further ado, let me introduce you to the newest member of our adventurous little band of merry wanderers!

LIBBY

9022313054_c281f0eb97.jpg

9022251310_9ebba091a0.jpg

Yes, another day and another rescue and now we are FOUR! Where do I begin telling Libby's story. Hhhmmmmmmm, yes, let Libby tell her story. She can tell it so much better the I can. Her story will most likely bring a tear to your eye but, being smart humans, you can probably already surmise that it has a very happy ending. Now that we have whetted your appetite, we'll be back soon with Libby's tale . . . . . and of course some more photo's.

Ruby, Sydney, and Duncan .....and now Libby too in Virginia.:paw: :paw: :paw: :paw:

Last edited:
Hi Ruby. Thanks for the update! Libby is a beautiful girl -cant wait to read her story. Tell her she sleeps just like my Trapoer -with the tip of her tongue peeping out.

Back