• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ruby Here

Ruby and Sydney here,

Mom and Dad have stepped out so we'll be quick.

Cathy

Thank you and yes we have traveled a lot. I hear there is a topic in one of the other chat rooms about all the places you humans have traveled. :drivecar: After we are done here, maybe we can go find it and do a synopsis of all the places we've been. Of course, we haven't traveled nearly as much as Dad but then if it weren't for his job and travels he wouldn't have found us in Ireland and brought us home. Spring will soon be here and our travels will begin once again. Stay tuned and let us know if there are any places you would like to see us go.

Barb

That's so exciting and its good to see your grasp of Virginia geography is better than our grasp of Minnesota/Michigan geography. :D We go to Charlottesville a lot. My human big sister graduated from the University of Virginia so we've been there a lot. I think once the weather warms up that will be one of our first Spring trips. It is a very pretty campus and like you said was designed by Thomas Jefferson. And of course, what would a trip to Charlottesville be without a trip to Monticello. And we'll even toast to your health over lunch at the Boar's Head Inn. So stay tuned and keep checking back because we will post pictures as soon as we get back. Hopefully, like Cathy and Annapolis, we'll bring back good memories. Any requests for specific pictures?

Maxxs_Mummy

Glad you liked our pictures of Pennsylvania. Mom and Dad got our coats last year at a local pet boutique. They are made by a company called Foggy Mountain Dog Coats. We like them a lot because they slip over our heads and then are secured with a Velcro belt around our stomachs. They are really warm and we can stay out a long time even in the coldest of weather. You can find them at www.dogcoat.com so log on and make sure you get lots for your fur babies.

Gotta run cause we hear the key in the door. Another post coming tonight after Mom and Dad go to bed.

Ruby and Sydney in Virginia :paw:

Dear Ruby and Sydney,

Oh course, I should have known that two such clever girls as yourselves would be well acquainted with The University. I would be so thrilled to see a special photo of you on the Lawn. I was a poor college student at the time, so ate dinner only once at The Boar's Head. But a good education puts you on the path to a well paying job, which puts you on the path to adding a Cavalier to the family, so things have worked out well.

When did I earn my B.A. and M.A. you ask? Well, some people refer to that time as "back before the crust of the earth cooled," but then, those people would be rude, wouldn't they? It was probably only a few decades before your older sister went there. Gosh.

So far, Star's longest trip has been to the mailbox. But she is most excited to start her travels and perhaps even find something worth taking a picture of, and then posting for you. She is still a ways from adding typing to her repertoire though, as she now regards a keyboard as a fine chew toy.

We look forward to spring, and a resumption of your travels.

Your friends, Barb and Star

Ruby and Sydney here,

Sydney and I apologize for not posting recently but it snowed and sleeted here in Virginia and we haven't gotten to travel anywhere exciting. But of course that doesn't mean we weren't busy and as a result we find ourselves here to relate another one of our adventures.

Naturally, after it snowed we were allowed to go outside and play and we had so much fun sliding around on the snow. The most fun was when Mom put an empty plastic Coke bottle on the snow. Both Sydney and I would chase it and knock it across the snow and it would go spinning away and we'd chase it and we'd go spinning. If you've never let your Cavalier try it, next time it snows let them out with a plastic bottle and watch them have some fun. Soon Mom and Dad got tired and went inside to take a little nap.

For those of you who have been following our posts, you probably already know that leaving us alone to our own devices only leads to more misadventures and this is another case where you'd be right. Sydney and I were looking around for something new to do when we saw a neighbor shoveling the snow off their driveway and sidewalk. Of course, knowing how helpful we can be around the house, we raced over to the shed and pulled out the snow shovel with the intent of helping Dad keep our driveway clean. Both of us wanted to help but we couldn't decide who would go first, so we tossed a coin to decide . . . . . . and promptly lost the quarter in the snow.

100_1164.jpg

We must have dug for an hour looking for that quarter and when we found it, it was heads and I had won. Of course, I thought the shovel was a little large for such a small girl like me, and looked for one slightly smaller but quickly realized our "Dad" shovel was all we had, so we had to make do.

100_1161.jpg

So I promptly went to work, shoveling snow and ice. After just a short time I had worked up a sweat and decided shoveling snow was as difficult at stringing Christmas lights on the Christmas tree (See my Christmas posts). It wasn't long before I was pooped, so I quickly looked around and over my shoulder for Sydney and of course found her playing with a stick and having a lot more fun than I was.

100_1172.jpg

Okay Sydney, its your turn to shovel so I can play. She dropped her stick, looked up and said, "I'm watching to make sure a squirrel doesn't sneak in and steal our snow, keep going and I'll protect you". Yeah right, snow stealing squirrels.

100_1180.jpg

So like the little trooper that marks me as a true Cavalier, I went ahead and finished the driveway, the sidewalk, and most of the street, and when it was all said and done, I think I did a bang up job, but I was exhausted. I proceeded to head into the house and jumped up in the big comfy rocking chair by the window to admire my front yard handiwork.

100_1179.jpg

After Sydney came back inside, we both went upstairs where Mom and Dad were taking a nap and none the wiser to my little shoveling antics. Oh, the neighbors called later in the afternoon and told them they saw Sydney and I out shoveling, but Mom and Dad just thought they were crazy and had been drinking again. We just smiled and Sydney curled up in Dad's lap while I curled up next to Mom. As we drifted off in peaceful slumber we knew that once again our secret talents were still safe from Mom and Dad and every other human. All humans that is except for you, the readers on Cavalier Talk. But you're all sworn to secrecy, right?

100_1181.jpg

100_1187.jpg

Bark On!

Last edited:
Bark on! I love it.

Ruby and Sydney you've given me some great ideas. I can't wait to take a soda bottle on the snow with Tucker, we've got lots of it in our yard. Shoveling, who knew! Tucker won't have to sneak my shovel out of the shed, I'll be strapping it to his paws!! Great to hear from you again.

Ruby here,

Sydney and I apologize for not writing more over the Winter, but Dad has been traveling a lot for his job and he always takes his laptop. He has a cool job and travels all over the world and this time we begged and pleaded for him to take us with him. However, all the pleading and dreaded Cavalier pity looks were unsuccessful and we were left home with Mom. I guess in the long run it was probably better that we didn't go because we got to stay home with Mom and enjoyed long walks and laying around in our own back yard until he got back. However, Winter is over, Spring is here, Dad is back home, and Sydney and I are once again ready to start back on our road trips traveling all over the US.

In order to kick off our Spring/Summer/Fall travel adventures, we have decided we should always begin locally so Sydney and I took some pictures of each other in our back yard one day when Mom was gone.

000_0003_00-2.jpg

000_0021-3.jpg

000_0006-1.jpg

000_0013_00-2.jpg

000_0013-3.jpg

000_0019_00.jpg

As you can see, I have grown some since the last time you saw me and I weigh almost as much as Sydney now. It won't be long before I'll be able to drive and Sydney will have to operate the gas and brake pedals during one of our late night runs to the doggie treat store while Mom and Dad are asleep. That would be neat and maybe I can wear Sydney's driving hat and sunglasses.

Anyway, I think our first real road trip of the year will be next weekend. Although we haven't decided where Mom and Dad should take us, we are leaning towards either Jamestown or Charlottesville in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I think it may be Jamestown because they are celebrating the 400th anniversary of its founding. Queen Elizabeth is coming to Virginia on Thursday to help Virginia celebrate, so maybe we can talk Mom and Dad into taking us to Richmond to meet her too. Just in case, Sydney and I have been practicing our curtseys. I pretty much have mine mastered, but Sydney keeps falling over when she tries to put one paw behind the other. It must be the skirt. Meeting the Queen would be so cool. Wherever we go, we will be sure to take lots of pictures and share them with you when we get back. Oh, aren't travel pictures so much fun. It's good to be back.

Bark On!

Ruby and Sydney in Virginia

Last edited:
Boy have I missed you!! So glad you're back after that long long winter. Your backyard pictures are gorgeous...aren't you the lucky gals to have such a gorgeous backyard. Keep practicing those curtsies...you may need them!! How cool would it be to meet THE queen?!!

Sydney & Ruby, not only are you both extremely good looking, but you are both so clever. Try eBay when mum & dad are sleeping. You'd be amazed what you can get. Don't let a little thing like a password stop you. Humans are quite predictable so it's possible they've used your names as passwords. Failing that, just start up your own accounts. I am sure mum & dad have left their credit cards laying around somewhere.
:*bay:

Sydney and Ruby so good to see you back and posting. We can't wait to hear and see about your upcoming adventures. They are always so exciting.

Ruby and Sydney Here,

More on our weekend trip to Richmond and Jamestown to see the Queen coming up but that will have to wait for now. Right now, we wanted to pass on some really exciting news for all of our human Cavalier owners out there. You know how you humans are always creating new rules and then insisting, nay, demanding that we follow them. It seems every time we turn around, we are provided a new opportunity to mind. You know what we're talking about, "Stop that digging", "Get off that couch/bed", "Don't chew on that", "Get down, you're dirty", and the notorious, "No, No, not on the carpet. Do that outside". Well, we've noticed that sometimes you humans misbehave so it's about time you learned some Cavalier rules.

For the last several months we have been running a poll on the :cool: secret Cavalier web site "Human Talk" to determine the rules that Cavaliers would levy on humans if we could only reveal our talents. Cavaliers from around the world have been contributing what they feel are important rules and after much discussion, the list has been whittled down to those that we all agreed are indispensable in our efforts to make you humans a little more manageable around the house and in public. Now that the list is compiled, Sydney and I have been asked by all our fellow Cavaliers to present it to you. Just so it doesn't appear as if we are lecturing you and to make it a little more entertaining, Sydney and I have posted a few illustrative photographs to help clarify. Without further ado, I present to you.......

RULES FOR CAVALIER OWNERS

I will not bathe my dog after he bathes himself in the mud puddle.
I will not push my dog away when she wants a hug after playing in a mud puddle.

Good example: I don't need a bath, I need a hug. So hug me already you big goof!

100_1196.jpg

I will not drag my dog away from the interesting sniffing spots.
I will drop whatever I'm doing and take my dog out as soon as he/she asks me to.
I will not tell my dog to hurry up already when he's looking for just the right spot to take care of business.
I will not stare while my dog is doing his business.
I will not feed the cat before I feed my dog.
I will get rid of that cat.
I will not bring home any more cats.
I will never eat until my dog has tasted what I have and approved it for me.
I will share everything I eat with my dog.
I will not confuse my dog by throwing snowballs for him to fetch.
I will not ask my dog to play fetch with a boomerang.
I will not whine and complain "My arm is tired" after only throwing the ball 127 times.

Good Example: Come on, get up and throw this ball again, you big baby!

000_0002_02.jpg

I will set up the kiddie pool every day it's hot - even in December.
I will not leave my dog at home any time I go in the car.
I will allow my dog on the couch.
I will not hide my dog's ball in a place where I know he couldn't possibly retrieve it and then ask him to go get it.
I will not take shredded, soggy, yummy tennis balls away from my dog.
I will not sneak around the backyard wearing funny clothes to test whether my dog is a good watchdog.
I will stop referring to my dog's necklace as her "collar."
I will not cut my dog's nails.
I will not abandon my dog for trivial reasons like "going to work".
I will not wake my dog when I come home from work.
I will not come home from work and feel the sofa/bed to see if it is still warm from where my dog was sleeping "illegally".
Bad weather is no excuse for not walking my dog.
I will open the back door as soon as my dog sits by it.
I will not laugh at my dog for being confused over not being able to find the lump of ice that he buried earlier.
I will not run out of treats.......ever!
I will always carry cookies and treats.
I will not make my dog pose for pictures with some fat stranger in a red suit.
I will try much harder to understand my dog's language.

Okay, got it. If after reviewing this list you find that you've violated some of these rules, don't feel badly.:eek: We still love you madly :luv: and you probably just didn't know better. So just like we must be trained to go outdoors, we have taken it upon ourselves to train our humans. Please post these in your home and promise you will follow each and every one from now on. And for all you Cavaliers who see these rules posted on the refrigerator, you're welcome and lets get back to work on our next list.

Bark On!

Last edited:
Ruby and Sydney Here,

We're back but we have to make it quick, because Mom and Dad are out unloading the car! That's right, we were away on a little road trip. We went to Savannah, Georgia and Charleston, South Carolina on a little holiday. Well, for Mom and the two of us it was a little holiday, but for Dad it was work. He was invited to speak at a conference in Savannah and so he took Mom and us along to enjoy the trip. Our first stop was Savannah. Savannah is really a pretty city that was founded in 1733 by an Englishman named James Oglethorpe. It seems all the people he brought with him all had something called debt. Not sure what debt is but if it means getting to live in Savannah, we would like to have some debt too. After sailing up the Savannah River, Oglethorpe pitched his tent on his first night at the top of the bluff overlooking the Savannah River and today that spot is marked with this really cool bench where Sydney and I took our first picture:

100_1240.jpg

Anyway, Savannah has a big park about every two blocks. This is us in one of the parks with a statue of Oglethorpe. This is also the Square where they filmed Forrest Gump.

100_1224.jpg

We must have walked all over the city. But we didn't walk everywhere. We took a carriage ride and really enjoyed having those big horses pull us all over town. They did pretty much everything we told them to do and after our ride we took our picture in front of them to celebrate our mastery of the equine breed.

000_0005_02.jpg

Notice them hanging their head in shame. We also ate at some really good restaurants including some really good Southern food at Lady and Sons owned by Paula Dean. Not sure who she is but supposedly she is on TV. Of course, Sydney and I couldn't go in but we did get to eat at another famous restaurant that was by far our best stop on the entire trip. Like to know why it was our favorite place? We knew it was our favorite when the minute we drove up. What do you think? I think the name sums it up, huh?

100_1244.jpg

We must have walked and walked and walked all over town and we really got tired by the end of our first day. Sydney even passed out asleep on the sidewalk when Mom and Dad stopped for a little snack.

100_1203.jpg

I, however, lasted until we got back to the hotel room where I couldn't hold out any longer and promptly fell asleep in Mom's arms.

100_1205.jpg

Sydney soon joined Mom and I on the bed and we all quickly dozed off. I hope we left room for Dad on the bed, but if not, then I hope he scooted us over.

100_1207.jpg

Better run now because Mom and Dad are coming back in the house now with our suitcases. I'll log back in later and give you some more updates on our trip. You'll want to check back in because I ran into an alligator the next day and we have a picture to prove it. Besides we still have pretty pictures of Savannah to show you, tell you about Charleston, and a really funny story about us driving Mom and Dad while they slept. See you soon.

Bark on!

Last edited:
Oh I am so jealous!! I would love to do all of the sightseeing you all get to do. Savannah and Charleston are two of the places I would most like to visit. Looks like you all had a great time and were quite tuckered out by day's end. Can't wait to hear about your alligator encounter :eek: I love that your stories tell us so much about history too!

Ruby and Sydney, Delighted you ladies are back online. I love to hear all about your adventures. Looking forward to the next installment. :D

Ruby and Sydney here,

I've got to hurry, because Mom is downstairs and I still have to tell you more about Savannah and Charleston. When I last left you, I had mentioned a little run in with an alligator. It all happened when we drove out to see Fort Pulaski on Cockspur Island right outside Savannah. Fort Pulaski was an Army fort that was Robert E. Lee's first engineering project as a Lieutenant right of West Point. It was started in 1820 and finished in 1847. During the Civil War, it was taken by the Confederate Army and was thought to be invincible. However, Union artillery nearly destroyed the fort with a new invention called rifled cannons which could hit the fort from several miles away. On April 11, 1862, after only thirty hours of bombardment and with one corner of the fort gone, Confederate troops inside Fort Pulaski surrendered to Union forces on Tybee Island.

Here we are next to one of the big Confederate cannons inside the fort.

100_1216.jpg

Now the alligator. As we were leaving, we crossed the moat that runs around the outside of the fort and Sydney looked down and saw a creature in the water. She called down to it and said, "What are you?" and the creature said, "I'm a giant brown-green squirrel. "Why don't you jump in here and try to get me."�

100_1217.jpg

Now you tell me whether you believe this is a giant squirrel? But, as many of you know, Sydney loves to chase squirrels. All she had to hear was the word squirrel and she started to leap into the water to chase it into any trees that might happen to be close by. Luckily I stopped her just in the nick of time by grabbing her tail just as she started to leap over the edge and said, "Now Sydney :swear: , when was the last time you ever saw a squirrel that was brown-green, swimming in the water? And oh, by the way, how many squirrels have you ever seen with teeth like that one, and with scaly skin?"� Of course, it caused her to pause for a moment and it was then that we overheard a Park Ranger tell Mom and Dad about alligators and how they eat things; things like Sydney if they could. Sydney looked at me. I looked at Sydney. Needless to say, we merely laughed at that old conniving alligator who tried to fool Sydney and I. That old alligator trick might have worked on a fish or a turtle, but you can't fool two intelligent Cavaliers like us, well at least not one intelligent red head Cavalier. Thank goodness I was there. Sydney owes me one of her treats. Someone's coming I think. I'll be right back.

Last edited:
Whew....it's a good thing you are way smarter than that nasty old alligator!! And a good thing your sissy was looking out for you.

Ruby and Sydney Here,

Hey, hey everyone. Sorry about that last little delay, but I came as close to being caught as ever. As you are aware, I was telling you about our adventure with the alligator at Fort Pulaski and I was typing away and Mom walked in on me. I had to think fast and luckily I had one of my squeaky toys right next to the laptop. So I quickly grabbed it and jumped down and gave her my best Cavalier pity stare. I made her think I had just climbed into the chair to get my toy. Good thing she didn't notice the computer was on and I was logged onto Cavalier Talk but that was a little too close for comfort for me. From now on either Sydney or I wall have to keep a lookout while one of us is on the computer.

However, I digress so back to my updates on our most recent trip. After Fort Pulaski, we drove back into Savannah. Savannah was the first settlement in the new colony of Georgia and served as the capital for a very long time before the capital was permanently moved to Augusta in 1786. Here we are in front of the old capital building, now City Hall, at the end of Bull Street. Sounds like the perfect street for politicians.

530731978_62a9819074.jpg

Savannah is located right on the Savannah River and was famous for exporting cotton during the 18th and 19th century. We stopped for a short break while touring along River Street, where most of the old cotton warehouses have now been turned into shops and restaurants and snapped this picture while we watched the cargo ships come into port.

530732056_d35d955ec5.jpg

While we were on River Street, we came across this statue called "The Waving Girl".

530732016_ee04cc0b91.jpg

Why's it called the waving girl? Simple. It's because she's waving silly. No not really. Here's the story.

Just after the Civil War in 1868, a girl was born at Cockspur Island near Savannah. The child was named Florence Martus, the daughter of an ordnance sergeant at Fort Pulaski. From an old stone pier on the north shore of Cockspur Island young Florence first saw the passing ships coming and going to Savannah with cargoes to and from the farthest corners of the globe. The small child was fascinated by these ships and waved her handkerchief as they passed by. Sailors on the ships often waved back.

A few years later Florence went to live with her brother, a light keeper, in a small cottage close by the riverbank, about five miles up river from Fort Pulaski. From this time on she waved at every ship that passed with her dog at her side "a table cloth or towel by day, a lantern by night". (Note: Although the dog in the statue isn't a Cavalier, we think her dog was one of us. After all, only a Cavalier would so joyously welcome every visitor every day for so many years.) For more than 44 years she never missed a ship, and each ship, as it passed, returned her salute with three blasts of the whistle. Many stories were told of this small girl, who finally grew to be a white-haired old lady. Florence Martus passed away in 1943, but her efforts live on in the stories and legends of the Waving Girl of Savannah and a statue was erected to her memory on River Street in Savannah.

After leaving River Street, we then walked through the old Colonial Park Cemetery. During the American Civil War, Union troops camped out in the cemetery and removed some of the headstones. After the war, no one knew where the headstones belonged so they simply stacked them up along the wall at the back of the cemetery. Seems a little sad to Sydney and me:

530732070_a8eb56b400.jpg

Anyway, Savannah was beautiful with lots of pretty houses and beautiful parks and we hope you can all visit here one day. All the trees had lots and lots of Spanish Moss hanging from their limbs which was pretty like this driveway to a nearby plantation.

530732124_8e721d7ef4.jpg

Or this park in Savannah.

530732112_2cf7c5db1c.jpg

Oh yeah, before I forget, here we are in front of the house made famous by the book, "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" and was also in the movie "Glory". Sydney and I haven't read the book but we'll have to now. We have seen the movie "Glory" though and in the movie the house was supposed to be in Boston. Have you ever seen such a beautiful big palm like the one by the front porch ever survive a Boston Winter?

530776240_d8fd385fb4.jpg

Dad's speech at the conference was over and we were off for home, but not before a little side trip to Charleston to see the sites and also buy some sweet grass baskets from a very special lady who'll we'll introduce you to in our next post. See you soon.

Bark On!

Last edited:
Great pictures! Savannah looks beautiful. Maybe one day I'll get there! Thanks for the posting of the picture of house from Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil....I just loved that movie!!

Rudy and Sydney,

As usual I always enjoy your posts. Thanks so much for sharing those great picture of Savannah with us.

Ruby Here,

Hmmmmmmmm. Let me see, where did I leave off. Oh, yes, we had just left Savannah and were heading to Charleston. We stopped in Charleston because Mom loves sweetgrass baskets and we have a very special friend that we want you to meet. But first you have to know something about sweetgrass baskets before you can truly appreciate our newest friend.

Sweetgrass baskets are made from a marsh grass that smells so fresh and sweet, people call it sweetgrass. Baskets are made by twisting sweetgrass into long ropes and then coilong them together into a basket. Making sweetgrass baskets has been part of the Charleston community of Mount Pleasant for more than 300 years. Brought to the area by slaves who came from West Africa, basket making is a traditional art form which has been passed on from generation to generation. Today, it is one of the oldest art forms of African origin in the United States.

Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, an old village and modern suburb on the north side of Charleston Harbor, enjoys the distinction of being the only place where this particular type of basket making is practiced. Here, the descendents of slaves from West Africa continue the tradition.

Here is a close up of one of these very beautiful baskets:

545030860_774777fc54.jpg

But the art form is in danger because sweetgrass is declining and disappearing due to the ever increasing private development of the coastal islands and marshlands where sweetgrass grows. And basket making is not easy. Rigorous craftsmanship and long hours of work are involved in making these baskets. Even for the most experienced basket maker, a simple design can take as long as twelve hours. A larger more complex design can take as long as two to three months. Because it takes so much work, young people are less and less interested in learning how to make these baskets and there is a danger this art form may disappear.

Now that you know something about these beautiful baskets, let Sydney and I introduce you to one of the basket makers. It was during one of Mom and Dad’s trips that they met a wonderful person by the name of Maebell Coakley. She has lived in Mount Pleasant all of her life and her and her family have been making baskets for a very long time. She is a very sweet lady and she has some of the prettiest baskets. It was our first time to meet her and since she is so sweet and treated us so well, we did something we have never done before. We let her in on our little secret about our special Cavalier talents and she was mightily impressed. At first she didn’t believe us so to prove we are truly as talented as we say we are, we waited until Mom and Dad were busy looking at baskets and then we asked Miss Coakley to pose and we snapped this picture of our new friend in front of some of her baskets in her basket stand. Of course only after she signed an oath to never divulge anything she learned about us to anyone, which caused her to laugh but she signed it anyway.

537316513_8d498bc371.jpg

And she returned the favor by snapping this picture of us as we stayed cool on the floor of her stand.

537316511_ac60e0c932.jpg

Here Miss Coakley is signing one of Mom’s baskets so Sydney took some time out and snapped a picture of me and our friend.

537339435_427d4c0cf2.jpg

We hope that you too can get to Mount Pleasant and visit with Miss Coakley and purchase one of her beautiful baskets to take home with you. Just don’t ask her about those two special Cavaliers who visited her stand and took her picture. She promised to never tell anyone about our talents. But we did promise to come and visit her again very soon.

After waving goodbye to Miss Coakley, we headed off back to Charleston. However, I've got to log off now because I got a little long winded on this post telling you about sweetgrass baskets and now my little paws hurt. In my next post we will share some pictures of Charleston.

Bark on!

Back