• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ruby Here

hey Duncan!

How'd your Christmas go with your forever home?

Merls and Oaks

P.S - say hi to Ruby and Sydney for us

Duncan here,

I'll give everyone an update and post some photos on my first holiday in my forever home soon. Mom is here and I can't type right now. Can't wait to tell everyone about my adventure with Ruby and Sydney and our trip to get a Christmas tree.

Ruby and Sydney and Duncan in Virginia :paw:

Duncan here,

Ho! Ho! Ho!. My first real Christmas has come and gone and thanks to my new forever family, it was better than I ever could have imagined. Ruby and Sydney told me all about their Christmas last year and, like you, I could even review their adventures on this thread, so I was really anxious to get started. Anyway, one day right after Thanksgiving, Ruby and Sydney woke me up very very early. They said this year they were going to save Mom and Dad the trouble of going to get a Christmas tree by going to get one for them. Since I have never experienced a human Christmas before, I really didn't understand, but I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, and rolled out of my bed, careful not to wake Mom and Dad. While Mom and Dad slept, we all bundled up in our winter coats, grabbed the car keys, quietly slipped out the front door, and silently drove away. Arriving in the woods while still dark, Ruby and Sydney were a little afraid. But having already spent the first two years of my life living in the dark woods in a trailer, I wasn't afraid and so grabbed their paws, and led them into the dark. At first it was a little difficult finding the appropriate tree in the woods, but after a diligent and exhaustive search, we finally came to a unanimous decision on the perfect specimen. We also had to hurry because it was starting to get light and we had to get home. Before we cut it down, Ruby said Mom and Dad liked to take a picture standing in front of it, so I had Ruby and Sydney stand by the tree and I snapped this picture.

100_1476.jpg

Sydney wanted to get a picture of all of us together as a new family, so when a raccoon happened to wander by, we asked her if she would kindly mind snapping a photo of us. She obliged and of course, wouldn't you know it, just as she snapped the picture Sydney looked down and, thinking she saw a treat, screamed "oh goody, someone lost a chewie!" Turns out it was just a dead leaf but it made Ruby look and so, well here's the result. That's me on the right. Notice, how attentive I am. When you are in the woods, you can't be distracted by fake chewies. Thank goodness I was there to protect these girls.

100_1478.jpg

As you can see, the sun was starting to some up, and we were way behind schedule.

100_1480.jpg

If we didn't hurry, Mom and Dad would be awake when we drove up and that would not be a good thing. So we hurriedly cut that tree down and pulled and pushed that tree all the way back to the car. After quickly securing it to the top of the car, we were off for home and not a moment too soon. As soon as we got the tree in the house and crawled back into bed, Mom and Dad started to stir. Of course, to them we had been sound asleep all night, so we dutifully stretched and yawned like good little sleepy Cavaliers. Of course, when Dad walked down the stairs the last thing he expected was a tree in the doorway and darn if he didn't tumble right over it. Of course the three of us stood at the top of the stairs and giggled and gave each other "high five" paws on another successful Cavalier adventure. Dad struggled to his feet and stood there for the longest time scratching his head and wondering how this magical Christmas tree got all the way home on its own. :confused: Mom swore she didn't do it and of course three small Cavaliers could never have pulled off such a feat, could they. icon_whistling Of course, the three of us will never tell. I think I'm going to fit in here just fine. More on my Christmas adventure tomorrow and how Ruby and I waited up for Santa. Good night all!

Last edited:
Ruby, Sydney and, of course,Duncan:

Thanks for sharing the story and photos of your adventures. We had a wonderful Christmas on the other side of the mountains. Of course, I was my usual laid-back self, even just "staring" for treats, while Hadley, my Clumber Spaniel sister, went bonkers over a fake talking bird named Squawker McCaw Parrot. She is still stalking it while I take lap naps on the sofa. (When she barks it barks back at her so why bother?) Looking forward to Chapter Two of Christmas 2007 at your house!

Dictated by Bud Bud to his secretary (and human Mom)

Ruby here,

Just a little update on our Christmas adventure with our new brother Duncan. Christmas was fast approaching and we all had to get ready. Just like last year, we made our Christmas list's and showed Duncan how to do his. He said he didn't need any presents because he had already gotten the best Christmas gift any Cavalier could have and that was a permanent home with parent who loved him desperately. But we convinced him that was really a cool gift and everything, but he should really ask for some cool gifts. So he made a list and we all mailed them off to Santa just like last year. Only this year we made sure Mom and Dad were gone just to avoid a scare like we got last Christmas, remember? Since Sydney made her list first, she agreed to keep watch while Duncan and I did our lists. Sydney kept watch by the door

DSC_0037.jpg

and occasionally she would see a car coming and yell "Car coming! Car coming!"

DSC_0039.jpg

and we would drop our pen's and scamper to our bed's, only to find out it was a false alarm and it really wasn't them.

Anyway, Christmas Eve was upon us before we knew it and we all collectively decided that this year we were all going to work together to stay awake and catch Santa as he came down the chimney. As you can see, we were all very attentive.

Sydney watched the back door:

DSC_0003.jpg

And Duncan watched the front door:

DSC_0059.jpg

After I told Duncan that Santa always comes down the chimney, he joined me on the couch in front of the fireplace. Mom said she would keep us company and help us watch. We diligently watched that fireplace as if the devil himself were going to steal it. We both had our eye's wide open eager with anticipation and excitement.

100_1461.jpg

It wasn't long before I lost Duncan. Those boys can never stay awake can they girls?

100_1463.jpg

And I guess it wasn't long after that I dozed off

100_1468.jpg

But we knew Sydney would keep an eye out for Santa so we weren't too worried. Little did we know that over on the other couch this was what Santa saw when he came down the chimney:

DSC_0047.jpg

Well, so much for catching Santa sliding down our chimney this year. The next morning we all woke up to some wonderful toys and treats. In the next post, we'll show you what we got and the special presents we ordered for Mom and Dad online.

What an exciting Holiday the three of you had, along with Mom and Dad of course. I can't wait to see pictures of your presents.

She has the most adorable face! And those big eyes.. No wonder they have us wrapped around their little paws!:)

Duncan here,

As you could see from Ruby's post, we had a really good Christmas. We woke up very, very early and licked Mom and Dad until they got up. Once awake and on their feet, we ran down the stairs and immediately saw that Santa had come. We got a new bed, new chewies, and lots and lots of new stuffed toys. I couldn't resist and I had to take this picture of Ruby in our new bed surrounded by some of our gifts and toys. Notice she got a really good kneecap to chew on and, take my word for it, boy are they yummy, yum, yum.

100_1506-1.jpg

Of course, Ruby looked away and before she knew it, Sydney had dashed in and stolen her kneecap (the chewie toy, not HER kneecap). I snapped this picture of Sydney with the chewie. I've never seen somone so miffed as Ruby when she discovered what Sydney had done. I now know what the saying "(You know what) hath no fury like a woman scorned" means. You can be sure I'm never going to make either of them mad. Notice our toy basket behind Sydney? As you can tell that despite getting lots and lots of new toys for Christmas, we really weren't wanting for anymore, eh?

100_1507.jpg

Of course, I got lots of really good gifts too. But despite getting lots of really good toys and chewies, Ruby and Sydney and I weren't about to forget our Mom and Dad and so we all chipped in our treat money. We got Mom and Dad two Cavalier calendars, a Cavalier appointment book, a Cavalier leash holder, and a book "My Life with George" by Judith Summers which tells the story of life with one of us Cavaliers. But despite getting Mom and Dad lots of really good Cavalier stuff, I knew I had to do something really special for both of them. So wanting to keep it a secret, (I didn't even tell Ruby and Sydney), I saved all my treat money for the last three months. Because of everything they have done for me and helping to save me and my sisters, I got them a very special gift - the boxed set of books by Barbara Garnett-Wilson, "The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel in Fact and Fancy" and The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - A Tribute in Art". Here I am pulling them out from under the tree just as Mom and Dad thought there were no more gifts. To say they were surprised would be an understatement.

DSC_0100.jpg

Mom and Dad were so surprised but I feel it was the least I could do for them considering all they have done for me this year. They gave me such a big hug and even Ruby and Sydney were surprised and gave me a big paws up. I wish I could do more to tell them how much I appreciate them and how much I love them, but I guess lots of licks and kisses will have to do.

After Christmas was over and we had cleaned up all the paper and boxes and bows we spent the afternoon at Mount Vernon (yes, Mount Vernon was open on Christmas) and we managed to snap this picture of us with Mom. Isn't she pretty?

DSC_0110.jpg

Ooops, sorry but I had to edit the picture. We argued and argued about it but Ruby and Sydney told me I couldn't put any pictures of either of them on the web page because someone may recognize them,tell them about our very special abilities, and ruin it for all of us. So, as much as I would love to show you a picture of my new Mom and Dad, I love going to the treat store, driving the car, etc., so grudgingly have to agree with Ruby and Sydney. But at least you can have a Christmas picture of the three of us. I hope you enjoy it.

Before we knew it, the day was over. It was so exciting and Ruby, Sydney and I were so very tired but so very content. Soon it was late and after a little bite to eat, I gave Mom and Dad a lick goodnight and silently went up the stairs and climbed onto the bed. It wasn't long before I had dozed off and was quietly dreaming of my very special first Christmas in my new forever home.

DSC_0036.jpg

As I close out this posting, Ruby and Sydney and I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and wish you a very happy and prosperous New Year. We hope you have enjoyed our adventures this year and we feel so fortunate to be able to represent all Cavaliers out there and educate the humans on what life is really like from our perspective. I hope you stay tuned because soon we once again start our travel adventures and we all three will make sure to keep you well informed on where we go and what Cavalier mischief we can get into. And Cavalier mischief is exactly what it will be, and as long as Mom and Dad don't find out about our very special skills, let's just say it will be a very interesting year now that I am along for the ride. I can't wait.

Last edited:
Duncan:

I gave my human Phyllis the boxed set of Barbara Garnett-Wilson's "The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel in Fact and Fancy" and The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - A Tribute in Art"! Great minds think alike. My human aunt Kathy had to help me pick it out and order it since I am not as good on the computer as you guys are!

Looking forward to more of your adventures with Sydney and Rudy!!

Bud Bud as dictated to

It's been such a long time since we've heard, or saw, any posts from Sydney, Ruby and Ducan. Can't wait to read and see pictures of their spring and summer adventures. Also, we need updates on how Duncan is doing.

oh ruby is so fabulous. She is very like my ruby.

Hope you post some new photos soon.....:flwr:

just realised that photo was taken oct 2006? Is that right? Thats when that thread was put on.

Are you there ruby????

We would love up to date photo's.:)

just realised that photo was taken oct 2006? Is that right? Thats when that thread was put on.

Are you there ruby????

We would love up to date photo's.:)

Sydney, Ruby and now Duncan's posts are an ongoing project.....always updating with new adventures.

They must be very busy on new adventures as they haven't managed to sneek onto the 'puter in a good while.........

looks like the 3 of you had a good christmas, im glad that Duncan is settling in well with you, and you both showed him how to do his list to santa, you are good sisters to him

Ruby here,

Sydney, Duncan and I must really apologize for being a toodles bit lazy on keeping you up to speed on our adventures. We have been so very busy all winter what with the three of us sleeping, eating, winning the Alaskan Iditarod dog sled race (more to come on the win and the controversy after we crossed the finish line), sleeping, eating, putting a new kitchen addition on the back of Mom and Dad's house while they weren't looking, sleeping, eating, Duncan unearthing a large dinosaur bone in the back yard and trying to keep it secret because he loves dinosaur bones, and of course prepping for our upcoming travel season. We'll update everyone on these adventures and more this weekend. Oh, yes we'll have pictures too. Gotta run for now because we have a roof on the addition to install before noon and Duncan has his tool belt and hard hat on and he's raring to go. You know you can never keep those boys away from the tools. Ta Ta.

Ruby, Sydney, and Duncan in Virginia :paw:

Isn't it amazing that we've been a part of the adventures for so long? I always look forward to new stories from these guys. Now...go get that roof on!!!:)

Back