• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ruby Here

Welcome Libby

Ruby here,

Hello once again from Virginia. The gang is once again back and going as strong as ever....Yes, another day and another rescue and now we are FOUR!

Ruby, Sydney, and Duncan .....and now Libby too in Virginia.:paw: :paw: :paw: :paw:

So good to hear from you Ruby. Welcome to Libby. BudBud and I are looking forward to hearing her story.

Duncan here,

Let me see . . . . where to start? Oh yes, I remember, exciting news. Right. As many of you who are regular followers of our adventures know so well, our little family originated with Sydney. Shortly after Sydney came to live with Mom and Dad, it was decided that Cavaliers are like the advertisement for Lay’s Potato Chips – “Bet you can’t eat just one” and therefore no home is complete with only one Cavalier. Therefore, to fill the void, Ruby came to join the little traveling menagerie. The girls came to settle in to a rather mundane and staid existence of road trips, late night trips to the treat store, pranks on Mom and Dad, etc., when Mom and Dad surprised them with the introduction of none other than yours truly. Oh, what a day of excitement that was when Mom and Dad announced that instead of being a foster, I was being made a permanent member of the family. I will, to the day I cross over that Rainbow Bridge, remember the feeling of being loved and finally having a permanent home where I would be loved and spoiled instead of kept in a cramped pen and mistreated.

9070604489_8b92e16126.jpg

So, having experienced that feeling myself, I am always looking for any other Cavalier that is in a similar condition and that I can help in some fashion to experience that same kind of love. Therefore, it is with the greatest excitement that I turn over the keyboard to someone very, very special:

Libby here,

Not sure how this computer thing works but I’m willing to give it a go. Hi, my name is Libby

9070675431_c28700c979.jpg

A few months ago I was found abandoned and alone along a lonely rural road in Virginia. Dirty, matted and unloved, my previous owners had used me to breed many, many litters of puppies. I’m not sure how I ended up on this road. Was I simply abandoned and dumped because I didn’t please my previous owner or because I could no longer produce enough puppies? How I got to that road side in Virginia is really not important now, but the local animal shelter found me and brought me in. Unfortunately, this shelter was a lot like so many other shelters in that my so called “shelter" was only temporary. Temporary in that they only gave me a week to either be found by my owner or adopted. If neither occurred . . . well, let me say my life did not have much value and I would be put to sleep.

9070675509_06336c28b0.jpg

Never in my wildest imagination would I have ever thought such places existed and now that I was caught up in this place, it frightened me greatly. How could I endure so much in my life and have it end this way? I love and adore every single human I meet, and warmly greet them with kisses, tail wagging, and cuddle very close. How can it be that so many in my life had not returned that love. So I snuggled and licked the shelter workers so much whenever they came around, despite the fact they were going to put me down, hoping maybe they would reconsider. After all I had been through, I so wanted to live in a real home with humans who would love me, but maybe it just wasn’t meant to be. My days were numbered and time was running out. I resigned myself to the fact my life would soon be over . . . .

To be continued.

Libby

Last edited:
Libby here,

When I left off, I was locked in a pen at a kill shelter and my time was quickly coming to an end. However, unknown to me, there was a local group of animal lovers, much like you, who actually love us enough to make a difference in our lives. They had started a rescue group to save as many of us as they could from these awful places. Luckily they came through and discovered me during a weekly trip to the shelter before it was too late and offered to take me in and find me a home. Although they had never had a Cavalier before, they fell in love with my sweet personality and how I loved everyone who stopped by my pen. I overheard them tell the shelter, "How could you possibly do harm to such a beautiful spirit", as they took me from that horrible place.

9108034543_a316519e7a_c.jpg

They took me out and immediately posted my profile on Pet Finder and, as I came to find out later, that's how Duncan found me. You remember Duncan’s story (pages 14 and 15 of this thread). He too is a rescue from a bad situation. It seems ever since Ruby and Sydney found Duncan and his sisters on Pet Finder, Duncan has taken it upon himself to review Pet Finder every day. Mom and Dad love Duncan so much that he wants to ensure any Cavalier in Virginia, who is lost or needs a home like he did, could be brought to Mom and Dad’s attention so they could help. So, Duncan left my picture up on Pet Finder and sure enough Dad discovered it. To my good fortune, Dad immediately offered to adopt me right away to free up space for the rescue group to save more lost souls.

9108441534_a7bf4c8000_c.jpg

That Sunday, Dad and Mom drove down and met the rescue lady. I was riding in the rescue lady’s car and remember driving up and stopping. I was in the front seat taking a long nap, which I was doing a lot of since I left the shelter because I was so, so tired. I didn't get much sleep in the shelter because it was so stressful. When we stopped, my head immediately popped up as it does anytime I think I’m going to get to meet a human. Looking around, I saw what would become my new Mom and Dad for the first time. I was skin and bones from lack of food, and had my hair cut really short while I was in the shelter so I didn't look anything like I do now. But Dad still took me in his arms, and held me so close, which was really special since I didn’t get much love in the past. He gently put a harness on me and laid me on a nice clean soft blanket in the back seat of their car and we started the journey to my new forever home. Somehow I knew that my life had finally changed for the better and I was forever safe and free.

9108441458_71d218bc55_c.jpg

Gotta run for now, but don't worry. I'll be back to tell you about my first trip to see a doggy doctor. I think I heard Mom and Dad call him a vegetarian, but that may not be right. You'll be surprised by what he found. Be back soon.

Ruby, Sydney, Duncan, and Libby in Virginia. :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw:

Last edited:
Libby here,

That first week after I arrived, I was taken to meet what I thought was a vegetarian, which I thought very strange indeed. Turns out it was my new Veterinarian, or as he liked to be called, a Vet. I don't remember ever going to such a person before. He was so nice and so gentle. He examined me closely and found me fairly healthy and estimated me to be between 6 or 7 years old. After my initial check-up, Mom scheduled me for my spaying and some badly needed dental work. Turns out I had never been given proper dental cleanings my entire life so my teeth were pretty bad. Most of my teeth just needed cleaning, but a few were really bad and they were causing me a LOT of pain. But despite that, I could still be counted on to continually lick human faces and wag my tail non-stop. I guess it’s just my nature.

9108441600_6ddc05e450_c.jpg

The day of my surgery arrived finally. The procedure started and it was during my surgery that the Vet discovered I had many, many, many litters of puppies during my lifetime. It was also during my dental cleaning that the Vet took an x-ray. He sadly discovered I had suffered a broken jaw a long time ago and no one had even bothered to take me to the Doctor to get it fixed. I guess I remember now how painful my jaw was when it happened, and how hard it was to eat, but I just can’t remember how it happened. I’m sorry. The surgery turned out successfully and I only lost a couple of teeth and my right lower canine tooth was broken off. Maybe that happened when my jaw was broken, but I can't remember. Two of my front lower teeth were removed so now sometimes when I go to sleep, a little bit of my tongue sticks out, but that’s okay because my mouth is no longer sore and painful and I can eat like a champion now. I don't look too bad do I?

9108428884_9932129a7f_c.jpg

When I came home and got out of the car, Duncan was the first to race out to the car to greet me, see how I did, and welcome me home.

9108441662_ac2bdcf2cb_c.jpg

I really love my new brother. He treats me so nice but it's probably because we had to endure so much before we got to our new forever home with our new Mom and Dad. We have a lot in common.

9022313314_395ebbd3dc_c.jpg

So that’s my story. I am so happy with my new Mom and Dad. And I have never had a brother and sister’s before so Ruby, Sydney, and Duncan have been teaching me wonderful new skills. I'm learning to type on the computer, drive a car and, oh yeah, I've taken my very first late night run to the treat store with my sister's and brother. I'm still giggling about that one. Stay tuned for a posting on my first road trip with Mom and Dad. I'm very happy to meet all you and look forward to telling you new stories about our trips instead of sad stories like the last few postings. But those days are long gone and my road ahead is bright for however amount of time I have left before I cross that Rainbow Bridge.

9022313538_97d931dc66_c.jpg

Ruby, Sydney, Duncan, and Libby in Virginia. :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw:

Back