Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruby Here

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, thanks so much for the update and the travelogue. When you stay away too long we all miss you!
    Phyllis in West Virginia USA with two Clumbers and a Cavalier Named Buddy

Post Thanks / Like

What beautiful places you've been!!! The Von Trapp place is gorgeous!! And that moose??!! Oh my gosh...he's huge!!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Ruby here,

As they said in the movie Poltergeist, "They're back." That's right, we are back. I know, I know. You are thinking, "Where have you three little scamps been and what trouble could you have possibly gotten into that would prevent you from writing us for so long." Let me just say that it is a long and almost tragic story and we will catch everyone up in our next post. In the meantime, the trio is back and ready to once again give you a glimpse into our sometimes wacky but always adventurous universe. So for now sit back, enjoy, and we will catch you up in no time at all.

Ruby, Sydney and Duncan in Virginia
    Last edited by Sydney; 19th June 2013 at 12:13 AM.

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back Can't wait to hear your next post!
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I have a Sydney too, he's 11 yrs old. I'm looking forward to reading about all your old adventures and then the new ones. can't wait to get to know you all.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, neighbors from across the mountains in Ol' Virginia. Over here in West Virginia we have been wondering and worrying a little about what you all have been up to and where you have been. Looking forward to an update soon!
    Phyllis in West Virginia USA with two Clumbers and a Cavalier Named Buddy

Post Thanks / Like

Ruby here,

It is so good to be back. For those of you who have been following our post and are curious about our absence, Duncan has posted a note in the General Cavalier Health forum on the reason why. Let me just say that we almost lost Sydney due to a severe case of meningitis but she is now recovering and progressing nicely. In response and to celebrate, we are back to bring you more of our crazy travel Cavalier adventures.

When we last left you we were in Vermont. Sydney and Duncan had met a friendly moose and we were considering options on getting it into the car to take home. Our plans changed when we saw that moose go to the bathroom. We do not have a poo bag nearly big enough to clean that up so we decided to leave mr. moose right where we found it and we were off to New Hampshire and the top of Mt Washington. This mountain is the third highest peak East of the Mississippi River, with the tallest being Mt Mitchell and Clingmans Dome in North Carolina. Mount Washington once held the world record for directly measured surface wind speed, at 231 mph (372 km/h), recorded on the afternoon of April 12, 1934. Although this record was surpassed by Cyclone Olivia in 1996, Mt Washington still holds the Northern Hemisphere and Western Hemisphere record. The winds get so strong on this mountain, the observation house is actually chained down with logging chains to keep it from blowing away. Talk about a wind that would blow your Cavalier ears back, I think that would be it.

Of course confronted with such a challenging mountain, we had to climb it. So after a rigorous climb to the top (while asleep on the back seat of the car), we naturally had to take this photo of us successfully summiting the peak. We got the idea from watching humans climb to the top of a mountain called Everest, so we figured we had to do the same since I'm sure these two mountains are about the same height. Notice Duncan being the gentleman and blocking the wind from mussing up the girls hair.

Once we had successfully summited Mt Washington, we were off to Massachusetts for a little Revolutionary War history. Our first stop was in Lexington, right outside Boston. According to our history lessons, there seemed to be a small disagreement between our American humans and their British cousins a long, long time ago. From what we Cavaliers can deduce, some of the biggest arguments between humans always seem to occur between family members. Seems like such a shame but we Cavaliers liken it to a disagreement over a bone, so we understand. It got to be so unfriendly that on April 19, 1775, Paul Revere and William Dawes rode out of Boston to warn the people of Massachusetts that British regulars were coming to confiscate militia weapons, gunpowder, and supplies from the village of Concord. In response, the Minutemen of Lexington, so named because they could be ready to fight in as little as a minute, gathered at Buckman Tavern to await the British arrival. We marked this historic site (no Duncan did not mark it in a boy Cavalier way - but he thought about it) with this photo of us in front of Buchman Tavern. Notice, I am more interested in a passing bird and Duncan just needs a nap. Sydney was pretty indifferent to the whole history lesson.

As the British marched into town, the American Minutemen left Buckman Tavern and marched onto the Lexington Common in order to block the British advance and this is where the story gets ugly. Seems everyone had guns and someone, no one knows whether they were British or American, fired a shot. This caused the British regulars to fire. No matter the dispute over who actually fired first, when it was over 8 Americans were killed and 10 wounded. One British soldier was wounded. While the British regulars marched on to Concord, the people of Lexington began to gather their dead. Today, the Lexington Green is a lot more peaceful and just a perfect place for a little Cavalier to rest her weary feet. I like how Duncan is always on the lookout for trouble and makes sure no one starts any.

Before leaving, we made one last stop at a statue to the Minutemen of Lexington and then . . . . .

Car is coming. Gotta run for now. You all know the reason why if you've kept up with the narratives of our trips. Next we are on to Concord and it has nothing to do with grapes or grape juice, just another history lesson. Can't wait.

Ruby, Sydney (recovering nicely thank you), and Duncan in Virginia.
    Last edited by Sydney; 19th June 2013 at 12:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ruby, those are great pics!! I teach 3rd grade and we are just learning about Paul Revere's Ride and the Revolutionary War. I wonder, if I PM you my email address, would you send me some of the pics you took there so I can show my students? They LOVE my Cavaliers and they would love to see pcitures of you in front of the places they are learning about! I bet they would find history much more interesting if it included Cavaliers.
    Holly, Oliver, Rosalita, and Scarlett

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's fantastic to have you back, we're really missed your adventures and wonderful photos!

Sorry to hear that Sydney was so ill, sounds very scary, off to read that thread.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Holly,

We would be pleased to send you copies of any of our photo's. Anything to help those young human students learn about history. Sydney does most of our editorial work and is our creative designer, so if you send us your email address and what you would like to see, we will have her get right on it. Boy, oh boy, if Mom and Dad ever find out what we're doing here, we are in really big trouble. Our little secret.

Ruby, Sydney, and Duncan in Virginia