• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ruby Here

Me, Woody and Oz missed this the first time, Sydney and Ruby you have had us giggling -mum always keeps the laptop on the large table but we are going to try and stand on each other to get it :lol: - good luck in keeping the laptop usage secret icon_whistling We aren't going to tell your mum and dad cos we like your adventures so much..

FINALLY, Ruby and Sydney here,

Before we begin, we both want to tell you how much fun this American tradition of Thanksgiving can be. Today was our first experience with this holiday and we think it is our most favorite because, as you would probably expect, it involves food, lots and lots of food. Yummy Yummy. While Mom and Dad didn't spoil us with too much food, (they said we had to watch our girly figures), we did notice our bowls had significantly more on this day than yesterday. After our big meal we took the best nap in front of the fireplace that I think either of us have ever had. Mom and Dad's bowls must have had lots and lots too because they soon joined us in doggy slumber. At least we think they napped because when we went to sleep there they were, in our dreams with us, playing and running and even barking just like us.

Of course, we've been dying to get back on line, but with the holiday, we couldn't get a moment just to ourselves until today. We've had the strangest weekend I think ever and we are hoping maybe someone out there can help us understand it all. Let me explain. Normally we wake Mom and Dad up with lots and lots of licks to their faces, but this weekend, they woke us up. After our regular morning walk, Dad bundled us up and put us into our car seats:

As you can see, they're great seats which allow us to see out the windows while at the same time, we are safely harnessed into the seat belt which keeps us snug and safe. Anyway, I digress. We kept asking and asking and asking but Mom and Dad weren't about to give up the goods and reveal where were we going. So, just to amuse ourselves, Sydney and I engaged in one of our favorite traveling past times, the notorious message signs. Let us give you a little example. While Mom and Dad aren't looking, we pull out some paper and a marker and before you know it, we have little Cavvie signs. Next step is to wait until we come up to a stop light and when some humans pull up next to us, this is what they see:

I think my sign is better but what do you think? Problem is Sidney usually gets more treats than I do which I never understand. Maybe one day I can get a little peek-a-boo at that sign of hers.

After a few more miles and many more signs, we arrived in the mountains of the Shenandoah Valley and Mom and Dad got us out of the car and we were in heaven. For as far as we could see it was nothing but tree after tree after tree. Mom and Dad said something about a holiday called Christmas and something about a Christmas tree. We don't know what this holiday is and so far it didn't involve oodles of food, but we were outside and running. Anyway, we spent several hours walking among all the trees and even I was getting tired when all of a sudden, Mom and Dad stopped, saying something about what a beautiful tree.

Perplexed as we were, nothing prepared for what happened next. Dad dropped to his knees and cut that sucker down and THEN started dragging it down the mountain. After arriving at a house at the bottom of the mountain, Mom and Dad went in to pay for the tree, but even as we watched them walk away, we knew they would be back.

When they left, they didn't say anything, so Sydney and I just naturally assumed anything so important had to be guarded with insane jealousy, so we struck our most vicious poses to protect it from any marauding deer or wild bears. Sydney really had a serious look but it was probably because she had seen a squirrel. Leave it to Sydney to leave the hard work to me.

It worked because not one bear stole that tree. Sydney and I thought we were going to leave that tree but the next thing I know is Dad is loading that tree onto the TOP OF THE CAR. He then put us back in our car seats, and we drove home. I am so confused, WE HAVE NEVER DRIVEN A TREE HOME BEFORE! I'm not sure what we are going to do with it, but hopefully, once we find out more information, we can provide some answers in our next post. I've rambled on way too long so until next time.

Ruby and Sydney in Virginia
:paw:

Last edited:
Gorgeous pictures. If I were in the Maine Office of Tourism, I'd want to use them on brochures. Sydney and Ruby, please come visit me the next time you're in New England. I need a tutorial!

Edited - After I left my Maine comment, the rest of your pictures loaded. Sydney and Ruby you are well traveled ladies. I look forward to more of your adventures.

You are riding in style. Where did you buy your car seats? I would like one too, I have to stand up in the back seat to look out the window in my car.

LOL. Sydney and Ruby I loved your new adventure and your window signs had me cracking up! Can't wait until you write to Santa.

Ruby here,

Mom is upstairs cleaning :v*cuum: and Sydney and I are laying here watching Animal Planet this morning because they are showing a special on Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Pretty interesting about our ancestors. Anyway, Mom and Dad got us our car seats at a local pet shop. They are called Lookout II car seats and you can find them on line. Anytime we are in the car we ride in our car seats and they are ever so nice because we are always belted in but we can still stand up, turn around, and sleep. If you'll notice, I have my harness on while Sydney has her Puppia on. Mom and Dad buy Sydney harnesses but she has a bad habit of chewing her way out icon_devil and ruining the harness, so she is relegated to wearing only her Puppia. I prefer a harness to my Puppia, guess I like to reveal a little more skin so I leave my harness alone. Also, we've been on another road trip :drivecar: which we will tell everyone about soon. Until then here is a little clue to where we were:

000_0008_00.jpg

Gotta run for now, because you know that tree we brought home on top of the car? Mom and Dad have dragged that big green monster into the house now. This Christmas holiday is a little bewildering to us Cavaliers and I can't quite figure it out. :? We'll post some pictures soon and you can see what I mean.
Trees in the living room. You humans crack me up sometimes. :rotfl:

Ruby and Sydney in Virginia :paw:

I just love it !!!!

Ruby and Sydney go to Washington. Now maybe we'll turn some things around.

Ruby and Sydney, my niece Elizabeth and I have been taking turns reading your adventure stories outloud to each other. I really think you should publish a children's book, or actually since I'm adult and I love these adventures, the book could be for everyone. Now I'm giving Elizabeth a chance to type and make her own comments, and ask her own questions. She is a very smart six year old girl.

my names elizabeth and i wanted to know if your pearents waer (were) dogs or hyoumens (humans) and if they waer (were) dogs how you get your car. i like all your advedchore (adventure) stories. well bye my dog tucker says hi and bye too. i hope i haer another story of yours byebyebye everyone

(Elizabeth comprehends and reads words that she can't always spell.)

Ruby and Sydney here,

What a nice note Elizabeth. Sydney and I hope you love Cavaliers as much as our Mom and Dad love us. However, you must promise us you will never ever tell our Mom and Dad about everything you have read about us. icon_whistling They don't know about our special talents. They think we are simply two regular run of the mill Cavaliers who must be continually pampered and spoiled. If they ever find out we can do so many things on our own, they might stop driving us around and insist we drive them. Wouldn't that be funny. Two Cavaliers in the front seat of the car with one driving and the other reading the road map and navigating and, in the back seat, would be two humans with their heads out the windows, ears blowing in the wind, tongues hanging out.

As for your questions, Sydney and I have human parents now but were born to two wonderful Cavalier King Charles Spaniels near Dublin Ireland. (Although neither of us have the same parents, which means we are not true sisters, we have grown to love each other just like sisters. :hug: ) Dad used to work in Ireland and knew some breeders and when the time was right to own a Cavalier, he flew over with Mom and bought Sydney from a man who was a good friend and more important, a reputable breeder, and then flew back home to America with her. About six months later, another breeder called because they knew Mom and Dad wanted a sister for Sydney and particularly a Ruby Cavalier. He just happened to have a stunningly beautiful little Ruby Cavalier who was solid red "ME, ME, ME". Mom and Dad flew back to Ireland and I got my first chance to meet my new human Mom and Dad. It was then my adventure with my human parents began. I was so excited because I could tell my parents would treat us with so much love and I have been right. Sydney and I love our new human parents and they love us as you can see from our pictures and all the places we go together.

As for the car, well technically we don't own a car. We sometimes run out of dog treats and just can't wait for Mom to take us, so we have to borrow one and the most convenient one belongs to Mom and Dad. So when it gets dark, Sydney grabs Dad's coat, a driving hat, sunglasses, 8) and the car keys, and we are off for the treat store.

I operate the gas pedals and brakes and Sydney just yells out "GAS" Ruby and then "BRAKES" Ruby whenever she wants to go and stop. We are pretty good and are careful not to get any police tickets. People look at us at stop lights but Sydney never makes eye contact and when the light turns green, Sydney yells "GAS" Ruby and off we go, tires smoking because I sometimes don't know my own strength. At the treat store Sydney stands on my shoulders and passes a note telling the clerk what we want and then we charge it on Dad's credit card.

Well, I'd better go now Elizabeth. I've talked way too much and Sydney and I are all tuckered out from all this writing as you can see.

By the way, tell Tucker hello for us and keep your eye on him especially when he thinks you are asleep. We aren't the only Cavaliers that have special talents out there.

Last edited:
Thank you. I've left a message for Elizabeth with her mother so they can check your post tomorrow.

Good night Ruby, Good night Sydney.

dear sydney and ruby,

elizabeth here i got your post today i think
your veryvery clever dogs also very smart dogs too you'll haveto
make a scrapbook your like my cousin tucker hes very smart like
you you shoud be on americas funniest home videos i wish i could
meet you in human i mean dog haha dog friends haha again your so
funny do you do stand up comedy.hahahaha

elizabeth and tucker bye bye

Boy do I love you guys!!! My fiancee thinks I am nuts but I am dying laughing and trying to explain this post is impossible, you just have to read it for yourself. You guys are better travelled than I am!!! Lucky girls!!

Ruby and Sydney here,

You know that big tree that I told you about in my last online post? Remember me telling you about Dad dragging it INTO the house? I was really afraid my Mom and Dad were quickly accelerating straight to the looney bin when they set it up in the corner of the living room. So to ease my mind, I went online to the Cavalier King Charles web site (sorry the URL is available only to us Cavaliers) and went to the chat room we Cavaliers call "General Discussion on Quirky Human Traits" and posted a question on this holiday called Christmas. Luckily some other Cavaliers who had been around for a few years (and who shall remain nameless for obvious reasons) quickly responded and explained everything we wanted to know about Christmas. Of course, like everything online you have to careful about the information you get. Some Cavalier told us that a giant rabbit brought Christmas presents and left them under the human pillows. We thought that was a little strange until a well seasoned Cavalier told us that was wrong and that Cavalier had mixed up two completely different holidays with something you humans refer to as the tooth fairy. Anyway, we have the right information and now it is all making perfect sense and I don't have to worry about Mom and Dad going crazy. So Sydney and I are going to pitch in tonight when Mom and Dad are asleep and you know what we are going to do? That's right.....we are both going to sneak down and decorate that tree for them. This is going to be great because Mom and Dad are going to come down stairs tomorrow morning with us at their feet and the tree is going to be all decorated. :yikes They won't have the slightest clue it was us. Maybe Sydney and I will leave a Cavalier Sign (like we do in the car) leaning up against the tree that says Santa's elves were here and they decorated that tree. This is going to be hilarious. I wish you could be here to see their faces in the morning. I'm almost rolling on the floor now I'm laughing so hard just thinking about it. :rotfl: We'll take pictures while we work and post them sometime this week. :snap: Anyway, while Sydney and I are decorating, why don't you listen to a little Christmas carol video that I put together. I'm getting gooooood at this computer stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooc5eJc5SHA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:
I LOVED the carol video! One of my favorite Christmas songs of all time :D I can't wait to see your handy work ladies!! Won't mommie and daddie be surprised!! icon_whistling

Ruby and Sydney

Mom and Dad are fast asleep now and we have slipped out of bed and have started decorating this big tree in the living room. Thank goodness Dad got the boxes of decorations out of the basement before he went to bed. Although we both could have carried the boxes upstairs, why go to all that trouble when you can let Dad do it for us. Kind of like driving.

Where do I start. Some Cavaliers sent us pictures of their owners trees from last year so we have an impression of what we are supposed to do. First, we have assigned tasks. Sydney is responsible for getting the step ladder out of the closet while I am busy getting all the lights ready. I think I should have taken the job of getting the step ladder out. These lights are really frustrating me. First, they are all tangled and I have lights everywhere.

Secondly, I plugged the lights in and I have several bulbs burnt out. Then I have to somehow get to the top of the tree and start wrapping the lights round and round and round. This is going to mean I will have to stand on Sydney's shoulders like she does when we go to the treat store. I never thought this could be that hard but talking to some other Cavaliers online, we have been told that you humans sometimes get really frustrated with lights too so we will soldier on.

After I finally got all the lights up, I was so tired I could barely crawl out from under that tree. Next year, I'm gonna be responsible for the step ladder.

After stringing all the lights, we started hanging ornaments and it all went much quicker until Sydney found an ornament that looked a little like her. Of course, she had to parade it around the house but of course the only ones who could see it were Sydney and I. Sydney wanted to make sure it got hung in a place that everyone who walks in can see it right away. Once she got it hung from the tree she had to step back and admire her handy work .

. . . . . and admire her handiwork

. . . . . and admire her handiwork, sheesh get over it already!

Personally, I think it is a little crooked and would be much better looking with another color Cavalier on it, if you know what I mean. After it was all said and done, I think we did a pretty good job on that tree and so took some time to step back and take a few pictures of us while we admired our handiwork. Sydney was responsible for setting up the camera to take the next shot so you can see us admiring our work. Yeah, right. So much for me admiring our work. Next time I'll take the group shot.

After our work was done we had one more task left and that was to throw Mom and Dad off the trail the next morning. To keep them from thinking it was us that had decorated that tree, we had to make up some of our Cavalier signs, like we use when we are in the car, and leave them for Mom and Dad to see when they got up the next morning. Since I am the better speller, it fell to me to come up with the sign. Our plan was to make Mom and Dad think some elves came in during the night and decorated the tree while we ALL slept, so I went to work and here is my result. Think it will work to draw attention away from Sydney and I?

After I had finished my handiwork, we left it in a conspicuous location before slipping back up the stairs and back into bed.

The next morning Mom and Dad came downstairs and immediately stopped at the bottom of the stairs with the most priceless looks on their faces. I never knew humans could look so funny. I think their mouths must have been big enough to drive a truck into. Of course, Mom asked Dad why he decorated the tree during the night. He said he didn't decorate it so it meant Mom decorated it. Of course, Sydney pointed out our Cavalier sign which caused even funnier looks on their faces. They still haven't stopped talking about that decorated tree, how it got that way, and the elves. Of course, Sydney and I are still laughing so hard, we think we might have to use some puppy pads. :rotfl: If everyone remembers, in our last post online, I told you I would take a picture the next morning so you could see the expression on Mom and Dads face. While I was ready, I am afraid I was laughing so hard I wasn't paying attention and, as you can see, had my thumb in front of the lens.

Oh well, take my word for it, their expressions were priceless and Sydney and I will be talking about this adventure for the rest of our lives. I guess looking at the calendar, Christmas is getting closer. In our next post we will share with you our Christmas list and what we would like to get. We don't know who we are supposed to give the list to, so we are going back to the Cavalier Web site and post that question and see if any of our fellow Cavaliers know.

Hope your tree is up.

Last edited:
Hi Ruby and Sydney. This is Joanne and Elizabeth. I want to compliment you on the beautiful tree. You did a great job decorating it.

I have some information for you. The person you give your list to is named Santa Claus. He comes into your house on Christmas every year and he leaves boxes with gifts inside under the tree. I hope you get everything you want. I wrote many letters this year, and most of the things I want are electronic.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Lots of Love,
Joanne, Elizabeth and Tucker too :)

Oh what fun!! I hadn't checked this thread lately and didn't realize I had missed so much. Jake and Shelby sure wish they went on even half the adventures you gals do! While they didn't manage to decorate the tree themselves this year....they did a great job of assisting John and I. And Jake hasn't peed on any presents....yet!!

Can't wait to hear about your further adventures. Take lots of pics!!

Hi Ruby and Sydney,

Our mum tells us that the pressent get sent off to santa and then we have to be good boys to get them back :yikes Looking at our calender I don't think we'll have time to make up for our naughtiness.........................

Hope you two have been good so santa brings your pressies

Merlin & Oakley

hey Ruby and Sydney!!

You have been to two of my FAVORITE places!!!!

Williamsburg and Mt Vernon!

I bet Williamsburg was tons and tons of fun! Did you like all those mansions!

Well... keep us updated!

Back