• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tips to Make Sadie's Coat Thicker?

Sadie is doing fantastic. Her scratching is on the decline, and is now really only directed at her side (not her neck), so I'm not as concerned about the possibility of SM. She's a much happier dog than when she first arrived and her whole body shakes when she wags her tail!

So, with major concerns aside, I'd like to turn to the more superficial stuff. Sadie's coat needs some work. She doesn't seem to be shedding as much as when we got her, but I've also been brushing her out every other day. There are no real bald patches, but she doesn't have the longer tufts of fur on her feet, legs, chest and tail. With her coloring, she looks a little too much like a beagle from far away. I've been putting a little bit of olive oil on her food and am in the process of switching to Innova food. I know that her coat has to change from the "inside out". Is there anything else I can do to help her appearance?

Hi, I cannot remember Sadie's age or how long you've had her, but when I first saw her photo I thought perhaps she had her hair trimmed by a groomer. If that is the case, her coat will grow in over the next several months, and you won't have to do anything except keep her brushed so she doesn't get matts.

Fish oil might be a better thing for her coat (and joints) than olive oil, for the omega (fatty acids).

Glad to hear she's happier! :flwr:

If I'm right you haven't had her long have you? With a decent diet and maybe some omega 3's like Cathy has suggested, her coat should soon come in. Don't forget it can take a while to come back. We had Charlie on 7th November last year and his coat and general condition was appalling - now his coat is thick (but extremely scruffy :roll: ) and he is in much better condition. In the right environment they seem to thrive (providing of course they are not sick...).

Doing Great!

Sadie has been on Nutro for the past three weeks and she loves it. I've also been giving her Omega 3s and adding a bit of olive oil or peanut butter to the Nutro once or twice a week. On top of it, she has a lot of energy and her coat has gotten both smoother and thicker. You can tell that some of the "fringe" on her legs and tail is starting to really fill in.

Even more remarkable is the evolution of her personality. When she came to us, she seemed extremely shy and lethargic. She would scratch a lot too. Now, she couldn't be more affectionate and is starting to seem much more confident. When we come home, she "sings" for us because she's so happy to see us come through the door! Her tail is constantly wagging and she has a little strut when she walks/runs. She's still very well behaved and well housetrained (only one accident, which was our fault not hers). She barely scratches at all anymore.

We're taking her to get her teeth cleaned today. I can't wait for the vet to see how far she's come in just a month! :D :lol:

Ohhh, she sounds like an angel! *ng*l

It sounds like you love her as much as she loves you! :lotsaluv:

Sounds like she's really come a long way. That's wonderful! A big hearty pat on the back to you!

Back