• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ear Infections?

Lani

I was just wondering if any of you have had ear infections with your dogs?

When I took Lucky to the vet last weekend the vet did an analysis of the gunk in his ears and diagnosed him with a yeast infection. So we have to clean his ears weekly, put some drops in twice a day and take him back next weekend to check them.

I'm somewhat glad that she diagnosed the ear infection truth be told because I had noticed him scratching a bit and couldn't figure out why - now it seems to make a bit more sense. I think that ear has just been bothering him and he's been scratching to try to make it feel better.

I had a Llasa in the past that had this problem also because of the floppy ears. I haven't seen any postings on this since I joined so I wondered if it is a chronic problem that all Cavs have or if Lucky is just (extra) special. :)

:dogwlk:

Maxx had an ear infection when he was about 10mths old (he's 7 now!) but he has PSOM which is common in Cavaliers :roll: All my fosters have come with ear infections and mites but they do clean up very quickly with the antibiotics or solutions. The best thing I've found is to use Epi-Otic to clean the ears and Surolan drops to treat the infection if you can get them from your Vet over there?

India had a yeast infection in her ears before. We had to put ear drops in her ears for a week.

We use Epi-otic to clean their ears. :flwr:

Cupcake just got over having an ear infection, which the vet believed was either caused by allergies or a bit of water getting into her ear. The poor thing was scratching at her ear and they had a horrible odor. She was on some prescription ear drops for 7 - 10 days, which took care of the problem. The only problem with the medicine was the small amount of steroids in it caused her to have loose stool ( :yuk: ) so you may want to watch out for that if your little one is sensitive to such things.

Since then I've started to put cotton in her ears during bath time and every couple weeks clean her ears out with a different ear cleaning product that doesn't have a steroid in it.

hi

molly had an ear infection a couple of weeks ago she had drops which cleared the infection when i took her back they said she still had gunk at the bottom of her ears and wanted to put her out to clean them i couldnt get them done and so far they seem fine so i think the drops do the job , i just check everyday now to make sure there clean...

Had an interesting one this week with my 2 year old CKC. She was scratching her right ear a lot. I was about to take her to the vet to get checked out, when I noticed that the nail on her right "thumb" paw was growing in almost a 3/4 of a circle shape and causing the nail tip to dig back ino her paw !!!
She was trying to scratch her paw, not, in fact, her ear. I trimmed the end of the nail and now she hunkey dorey. One to watch out for perhaps?

Spencer had a terrible ear infection about a month ago. It was even caking outside of his ear!!! :yikes Of course I felt like a terrible mother because I hadn't noticed it :( I would regularly clean his ears after a bath with some disinfecting ear wipes, but obviously that was not enough!

We did the whole vet drops thing for 2 weeks and took him back and they cleared him to stop doing the antibiotic drops. But they sent me home with some fast-drying ear cleaner that I do once a week, and so far, so good. His ears don't even stink anymore! :D

My vet attributed the infection to Spencer's long ears (which is one reason why I think that Izzy never has problems...she has short little ears), but she also said it could have to do with the time of the year. His ear flared up when the weather began to change, and the vet said that it could be allergy based and that I might expect it and be on the look out for infection when the seasons change.

Luckily an ear infection is easy to clear up and the dogs respond quickly to the medication. Spencer actually likes it when I clean his ears. I think he thinks he is getting a spa treatment :roll: :lol:

COCO said:
Had an interesting one this week with my 2 year old CKC. She was scratching her right ear a lot. I was about to take her to the vet to get checked out, when I noticed that the nail on her right "thumb" paw was growing in almost a 3/4 of a circle shape and causing the nail tip to dig back ino her paw !!!
She was trying to scratch her paw, not, in fact, her ear. I trimmed the end of the nail and now she hunkey dorey. One to watch out for perhaps?
The dew claws needs to be trimmed regularly, just like the other nails. I trim nails on all 3 of my dogs every 2 weeks or so.

Back