• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How could you?

*Jenný*

When I was a puppy I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I was "bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?" - but then you'd relent and roll me over for a bellyrub.

My housetraining took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed, listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect. We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs," you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love.

She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" - still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy. Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love."

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch - because your touch was now so infrequent - and I would have defended them with my life if need be.

I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams. Together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway. There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being "your dog" to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family.

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog or cat, even one with "papers." You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life. You gave me a goodbye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too.

After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you - that you had changed your mind - that this was all a bad dream...or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me. When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited.

I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table, rubbed my ears and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days. As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood.

She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself - a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place. With my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not meant for her. It was you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of. I will think of you and wait for you forever.

May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.

The End

:(

sniff, sniff :(
I've read this before, but it still makes me cry.

*All Dogs go to Heaven*

Jenny,

You gotta issue a kleenex warning with that stuff!! I am at work crying my eyes out!! I started crying halfway through and of course, I couldn't stop reading. What a sad story.. ;(

I've readed this like ten times, but I allways start to cry. :(

I second my vow on the other threat, If I will ever move to a place where there are this kind of shelter, I swear I will go and save one old dog. I will take him home and give him few last years of love and kindness.

:cry*ing: That is so heartbreaking!
I agree, "How could you?", how could anyone do that to thier beloved pet? I promise that any animal that is in my care will never suffer such a fate. I would never do something so terrible. Riley is safe with us for the rest of his life. :lotsaluv: I promise!!

This is too sad, I just can't believe how cruel the human can be and how so many dogs and other animals have to end their lifes :cry*ing:

:( I personally could never move without my babies. I prefer them to lots of people and in fact, only this morning Amy (Blue Star) and I were talking about how can people 'get rid' of their older dogs? I love the oldies, with all their experience and wiles ;)

I dread the day I lose mine to The Bridge and get really upset if they have to go to the Vets - I worry more about them than the human kids :roll: :lol:

I've read that 'story' so many times before, Jenny but it still upsets me :(

Definitely a Kleenex warning.
*sniffs* This sounds familiar, but I don't think I've read it before.

How could you

That really made me cry, its so sad that people can just disregard their pets in such a cruel way, Holly is 10 months and one day I would like another cavailer, I had thought of giving a home to an older dog and giving it so much love, this has made me really want to do it. :(

I heard of this one before and still could not understand how anyone would do this I cry and worry my self sick when my dogs go to the vets ----Aileen

omg! omg ! sniff sniff sniff!!! and i had soo much to do on my computer, now i cant do anything through the tears. :(

This totally had me crying at work! Note to self: don't read poems on this board while at work!!!

It is really sad to know that people out there treat their dogs as a matter of convience instead of one of the family. I can't even imagine doing this.

Krista

I've read this before and was sobbing, now I can't even bring myself to read it cos it upsets me so much. You can really imagine the dog feeling those feelings and wondering what the hell it did wrong.

Alison

Definitely a kleenex warning . I have tears flowing down my cheeks as I am writing this . Going to cuddle my 2 girls now .
Mimi

Wow, if that doesn't bring the tears you'd better check your pulse.

Thanks so much, I know just who to forward this to. We know a couple who we've been friends with for years. They have two adult black Labs they've had since puppies but are now considering giving them up for adoption because they want to move into a Condominium that doesn't permit dogs.

We were shocked and appalled when we learned of their intention and argued against their point that the dogs were well cared for and shouldn't be a problem finding a new home. Our point was of course that it's not the physical health of the animal that's critical here, rather it's the emotional damage done to the heart and the soul. It's our (my wife's and mine) opinion that once you damage the spirit, the deterioration of the physical health will follow.

If you can raise them, then look into their eyes later and have no problem walking away, you were never a dog person to begin with IMHO.

Oh dear that was toooo sad I couldn't finish reading it once I knew what was happening. I was hoping for the happy ending. That one definitely should have come with a warning. :cry*ing: :cry*ing: :cry*ing:
Julie and the girls

Doggydad said:
If you can raise them, then look into their eyes later and have no problem walking away, you were never a dog person to begin with IMHO.

DoggyDad,

I couldn't agree more with that sentiment. It fair broke my heart when I had to let my last foster girl go. I'd rather live in a tent with my dogs than give them up to anyone.

Hubby and I always used to joke that in the event we should divorce we'd fight over who had the kids - each making the other take them but we'd both want to keep the dogs :badgrin: :lol:

Doggydad said:

So, so true... It was one of the most diffucult things I have done in my life to say good-bye to Bono and Nóra :(
I cryed, not just tears, but I was sobbing in the car on the way to the airport for an hour! I cryed more when I left my furry babies than my grandparents! :oops: But how could I not? The way they looked at me, theire eyes saying: "What? Are you going in the car? And I'm not coming with you!?" Oh, that just broke my heart :( :( :(

Back