• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Should I take him to the vet?

KingstonsMom

Kingston is sick with diarrhea, but I'm not sure if I should take him to the vet or wait it out. His poo was fine yesterday morning but by the afternoon he had diarrhea. He messed on the floor twice during the night and still has diarrhea today, although the amount of stool is decreasing. His personality is fine, he still wants to jump and play. I took away his kibble today, fasted him for 12 hours, and then fed him rice. I'm planning on mixing in some plain chicken tomorrow. He's almost 6 months old and has had all his vaccinations so that shouldn't be a problem. The only major concern I have is that I took him to the dog park on Saturday. I hope he didn't pick something up!

Should I take him to the vet? Do dogs need to see a vet everytime they have diarrhea?

Is Kingston drinking normally?

If I changed kosmo to only chicken and rice abruptly he will guaranteed get the runs. I can't change any food on him cold turkey like that. Does Kingston act dehydrated/lethargic at all?

If you're concerned about dehydration I would definately get it checked out as it's better to be safe than sorry and these little guys can dehydrate very quickly. Just because they have had all of their vaccinations doesn't mean you're guaranteed that they will not catch anything. ;(

Good luck, maybe someone else can shed some more light for you! :flwr:

I am so not qualified to give advice on this! Personally...I would see how he does tonight. But that said...let's see what someone a little more knowledgeable on this can suggest. Be sure he is getting plenty of fluids though. When Jakey would get an upset tummy I would be sure to let him lick some ice cubes to be sure he got fluids. Diahhrea can be very dehydrating.

He's drinking normally (I even had to refill his bottle today) and he is his happy, playful self. If he doesn't improve tomorrow, I will definitely take him to the doctor on Thursday. I just didn't know if diarrhea is ALWAYS a cause for major concern.

KingstonsMom said:
I just didn't know if diarrhea is ALWAYS a cause for major concern.

Not necessarily. My guys still get it on occasion...usually after too much excitement. The concern is the toll it can take on puppies. If he's drinking okay and his energy level is good I wouldn't worry about it tonight. But if it continues into tomorrow I would take him in in case he's caught a bug. Jake had coccidea and it wouldn't have cleared up on its own.

Lucky's had his bouts with it. The first time I was terrified because I had let him out on a few occassions and thought I'd exposed him to Parvo or something! He'd had 3 sets of immunizations but because of his age he was still at risk.

Lucky was even a bit less playful than usual (but later I realized it was a hot day and the A/C wasn't on .... realized that after I turned on the A/C and he perked up!!!)

I called the emergency vet here and the advice they gave me was to to watch him and give him the chicken/rice as you are doing. They also suggested I take his temperature - which I did. Walked to the pharmacy & got a super fast digital thermometer that takes an accurate temp in 9 seconds and some vasoline. The vet told me the "normal" temp for a puppy and Lucky was normal. I called the vet's office (this was 9pm or so at night), and they didn't think I needed to bring him in but see how he was the next day.

The next day he got better, and then it came back a week later and we've had bouts of it on and off ever since. He's usually been good on the rice & chicken baby food, but when we ween him off that his stools got loose again. He's had 3 fecals in the last few weeks - all negative for parasites.

Finally, the vet gave him a prescription diet. Eukanuba Low Residue Puppy. It is supposed to be for puppies with sensitive digestive tracks, and I am happy to report it is working for Lucky. I'd like to have him on a higher quality food with no animal bi-products, but for now, I'm happy that his stools are firm so apparently for Lucky it was just a food sensitivity.

I did a post on Sensitive Stomach diets, and it seems Lucky and Kingston aren't the only ones with runny poo - how bad is the diarrhea? Can you call your emergency vet in your area for advice about whether you need to bring him in?

In any case, if it does not clear up, you might want to talk to your vet - if he's otherwise healthy maybe the vet can test for parasites and if those are negative, then perhaps it is just a diet issue.

Good Luck :)

I'd imagine he just picked up a bug or ate something in the park that disagreed with him. The latter happened with Jaspar at about the same age -- vets said just to do what you are doing -- withhold all food for 12 hours or so then give small meals of just chicken and boiled rice and see how he does. You can also give a little bit of pepto bismol -- I give mine about a fourth of one of those tablets.

More info on dosage:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&cat=1459&articleid=1456

A dog sensitive to aspirin can be given kaopectate instead.

I have found that pepto bismol does a good job of settling their stomach when needed.

It's reallyyoung puppies that can dehydrate dangerously if the runs are protracted (though any dog with diarrhea that is ongoing should see a vet of course). As long as he looks pretty good and is drinking I am sure he will be fine. If after 48 hours he isn't then vest usually suggest ringing them in. Remember you can always call your vet and ask, too; most vets (mine included) are happy to give advice on something like this.

Keep up the bland diet for a day or two after the trouble appears to have gone away. It will give his tum chance to recover. You can use white fish instead of chicken.

How is Kingston doing today?

So interesting I responded to your post yesterday because today Lucky's going to the vet ... I didn't give it a second thought ... his stool is firm finally but now he's got blood in it. :yikes That said, when I called to make the appointment they did not seem overly concerned ... they said maybe it is stress colitis (sp?) or maybe an obstruction or something ... I'm taking him in after work and they just told me to have him fast during the day today. I hope it is something not too serious for both our little guys. :xfngr:

I hope Lucky is okay! Last time Kingston had diarrhea it was determined to be collitis as well. Let me know what the vet says.

Kingston is still having runny poo but it's much less frequent and in much smaller amounts. I wonder if that means he's getting better????

I would wait it out, but not for too long. Cody eats EVERYTHING off of the ground and gets frequent diarrhea because of this. When he was younger he had it for three days and I was on my way to the vet and figured out what he had been doing: he kept finding the "presents" that my kitty had been leaving under the tree (mice...blegh!!). At that point I knew it wasn't an illness, but just that my brainless puppy was a carniverous vulture.

I found this great product that is sort of like pepto for dogs and it really helped Cody. It's called Lambert Kay Pectillin. Here is the Petco site and they also sell it in Pet Supermarket :
[/url]http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=1689&Nav=1&N=0&Ntt=diarrhea&sku=20362&familyID=4145&

Just don't use it too long in case you are covering up the problem instead of solving it. It is good that he is drinking regularly though. Hope he feels better!

I believe the Pectillin is more like the old style kaopectate--

Here is the change:
The active ingredient in Kaopectate has changed since its original creation.

* originally, kaolinite was used as the adsorbent and pectin as the emollient
* later, attapulgite clay replaced the kaolinite
* since the mid-2000s, pink bismuth subsalicylate is used

Now the new Kaopectate is very similar to pepto.

I truly hope Kingston is feeling much better by now. Sandy

Kingston is back to his old self. He had a bacterial build-up from eating something he wasn't supposed to. I hope this doesn't continue, because I can't afford to spend $100 dollars a month at the vet! (But I will if I have to...haha)

Since he was off his kibble for a few days and eating only chicken & plain white rice, I decided to take the opportunity to change his food. I've been mixing in Canidae Chicken & Rice with his Eukanuba Puppy. He loves the Canidae and will pick those pieces out before he'll start on the old stuff. His poo was a tiny bit soft tonight, but I'm hoping it's just from the food change.

Glad to hear Kingstons on the mend :D
With Tandie I think we are enjoying for the first time a diahrrea free household :lol: Both Rio and Aggie used to get awful bouts of it from time to time, with blood & mucus & everything :grnyuk: :grnyuk:
The vet at the time said that as long as it wasn't prolonged and they were their usual playful selves and drinking lots it should be ok. But it is always better to be safe!

How's Lucky doing?

Lucky is doing a lot better too ... :xfngr:

We're just trying to keep him on the prescription diet that the vet gave him which seems to be working. And making sure that we keep him focused during his walks so he's not munching stuff off the sidewalk. :roll:

We saw his vet tonight at the Howl-o-ween party and they had a big bowl of water with cut up hot-dogs at the bottom of the bowl (bobbing for hot-dogs ...). The vet said - "you may not want to have your guy do that ..." Lucky does have a sensitive tummy but seems to be doing well on his new diet and I sure hope he stays that way. I don't really mind paying to take him to the vet because it sure makes me feel better when she says he'll be okay ... and that said, I can think of lots of things I'd rather do with $100+ every two weeks ....

I hope Kingston continues to do better so his mommy can find better ways to spend her money too. ;)

Back