Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 month Blenheim dog at M/T Wales U.K.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 9 month Blenheim dog at M/T Wales U.K.

Seems he has a few "Food issues" and finds himself in here because of it....what a shame, could easily have been avoided.
    Fine with other dogs etc, lovely looking little lad...needs time and some work.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh what a little loverly fellow we are going on Friday to drop off some items so maybe will see him there? ---Aileen
    cavaliers at the bridge Mattie and Rocky & Sam & Jake
    Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of man's indifference. Saving just one dog won't change the world but it surely will change the world for that one dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh bless him. They obviously didn't care enough to try and help him along did they?

Alison, you know what Charlie's like with food and that's why we put a lead on him and hook it over the door handle when we feed them both. They then get fed at separate ends of the kitchen. It's either that or Maxx would get nothing but a bite from Charlie for his dinner

When he's hungry he now sits and barks at his 'food lead' to tell me he wants it on and his dinner in the dish

Treats used to be a nightmare but we've almost cured that problem too & now they only have the rare spat.

I guess I'm posting this to let anyone who might be interested in giving this little one a home, know that food aggression is not a totally incurable or insurmountable problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxs_Mummy
    I guess I'm posting this to let anyone who might be interested in giving this little one a home, know that food aggression is not a totally incurable or insurmountable problem.
    Absolutely. I had terrible food aggression problems with Jake and Shelby (towards each other...never towards me) and solved it by feeding them in their crates. I remember my first trainer telling me that there are some behaviors you will never curb you just have to learn how to manage them. So now...we manage them!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

I crate feed Teddy and Joly. Izzy is as low eater and growls if any dog, except Monty approaches his bowl. Monty is a pushover, so needs to be free to eat in peace. Teddy and Joly are greedy and would not only eat too much , if free, but would challenge eachother over the spoils. If I can sort three, surely someone could have dealt with one.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

I know Barbara,

it's an awful excuse to use to re-home a Cavalier with.....

but thats the down side to rescue...

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Post Thanks / Like

The up side for this little one is some one will take him on and manage it---Aileen
    cavaliers at the bridge Mattie and Rocky & Sam & Jake
    Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of man's indifference. Saving just one dog won't change the world but it surely will change the world for that one dog.

Post Thanks / Like

This is really sad for me because Kosmo is also 9 months old. That's so young to be food aggressive, and something that could have been easily avoided. Since Kos was tiny I used "can I have it?" and I will take whatever it is from him. If he's eating his favoritist of favorite treats I can still take it from his mouth as he's chewing it (not that i do it often, but it's good to know that he won't snap) It's just awful becaues it could have been so easily avoided. Donna - I am glad you found a way to work through that. I wouldn't have had the brains to think of doing something like that, hehe

Hopefully this boy can get a wonderful home with understanding owners that can help to make this problem disappear.
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

Sara,

It's Auntie Alison who had the brains to think of putting him on a lead. I was just sitting on the kitchen floor in between them both and when his lordship had finished I had to prevent him from getting to Maxx. Alison had a brainwave of putting Charlie on a lead to eat and it worked

Post Thanks / Like

Donna,

Try now leaving the lead on but not hooked over the door so often, lay it on the floor beside him...then if he remains in the kitchen and eats without bothering Maxx you can remove it.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.