• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Breeding your Cavalier?

Krista,

I would personally be very concerned about what happened with my dog during the pregnancy/delivery etc however I would be very tempted to have her MRI scanned before I threw the whole idea out of the window....

You have good health certificates and a strong family history together with what sounds like a good breeders experience behind you both....you obviously have a good healthy dog there with some strong genes in her which your breeder is aware of. I would want her to be a bit older though...3yrs+.

If you are interested why not find a solution which suits you best, discuss it with the breeder....draw up a contract to protect you both.
Have her MRI scanned and wait a while longer until she is 3+, let the breeder supervise the covering (mating) and have her returned to you afterwards until she is due. If she has a trouble free pregnancy and you have a vet that you trust on hand then let her have the pups with you. If you are not that confident then let her return to the breeder for the welping.

You have time on your side to research what you need about breeding. Try to attend a birth and find out more about the hard work involved with breeding, once spayed your chance has passed you by...really think hard.....especially and ONLY if your little girl is scanned SM CLEAR.

It's not as if you are being irresponsible here with this possible breeding Krista... you have your breeder with you all the way. Experience and knowledge is there behind you.
If you still feel deep down it's not for you and it holds more risks than you wish to take then say so now to your breeder and enjoy your little girl together. :)

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Is there an official guideline about how old parent dogs should be before breeding in terms of MVD? Is there an age prior to which it's too soon to be confident that the dogs would not carry early onset MVD, so that breeding should wait until after that age? Is there a particular age that defines early onset MVD? Or is this more of a fluctuating category without particular guidelines?

Cathy T said:
... I just fell in love with Jake and was so happy with him I bought Shelby basically without asking any questions.

They're a wonderful pair! i can see how you ended up with the two of them.
Are Jake and Shelby closely related?

Hello. Did you end up getting Willow from the breeder who wanted a contract? How did that work out?
Thanks
Pam

Back