Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to convince friend to crate train her pup

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin
    If you are using the crate in this way, I'm curious why are you then using puppy pads? If you train to pads, then you have to housetrain a whole second time to going outside; twice the work! The point of using a crate is usually to hasten training overall. Most puppies will automatically use a pad even if it is inside a large pen, as they tend to like going on a soft surface such as a pad. I'd be working to have the puppy go outside. At 16 weeks you'd usually want to be moving a puppy off pads anyway.

On the friend's cavalier: Point out that leaving a cavalier of her's age alone at home is like leaving a 4 year old alone at home -- dangerous, prone to accidents, and just wouldn't be done and shouldn't be done. The dog is too young.
    Who said anything about outside potty training? I surely didn't. And, by the way, my pup has been trained since 10 weeks and does very well on the pads-- proud of her.
    P.S. Of course a puppy will use a pad in an enclosed area, the point is to make it where he/she will use it period, no matter where you place it. And that, my friend, is what I've succeeded in doing. Thanks for your input, anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think the main point to this post is that however you choose to potty train your dog it takes time, patience and commitment from the owner, without this the dog does not have any boundaries as to what he should and shouldn't do wether it be inside or out.....
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly!

Post Thanks / Like

HIya Gudrun,

I've had lots of dogs in my house to potty train and I've never ever used a crate. In fact, I don't possess a crate full stop!

I've just kept an extremely watchful eye on all my pups and dogs ( quite a few foster rescues, all unhousebroken) and kept them downstairs until they are fully housebroken. If I've had to go out anywhere without them I've usually made usre they weed outside before I went and then left some newspaper on the kitchen floor for them.

The only one I have EVER had a problem with has been Charlie but then Charlie had an awful lot of issues when he came to live with us. He's getting a lot better now but it's been a year of extremely hard work

I've never really found it difficult to potty train a dog and Cavaliers are such intelligent little furries that it should be relatively easy anyway - it's just a case of consistency and watching them intensely!

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used a crate either.....I've had dogs all my life, and even now, with the crate being popular with some people, I don't use a crate.... I have had good luck with the puppy pads and just taking them outside on the leash. It's just whatever works for the individual and the puppy I guess.
    ~Renee, Bentley & Bailey & Maddie