I had a very awkward conversation tonight when I took Kosmo in with me to buy paint. The lady in the store was in total love with him and then she started talking about her dog. This progressed further to what kind of human food the dogs like. This lady was bragging about how she loved to feed her dog grapes. I kindly tried my best to tell her that I've read about the ill effects of grapes, and she basically said "well I have a big dog and she likes them."
Just last week my other neighbor was telling me that she loves using grapes for training treats. It seems to me that not a lot of people are aware that grapes are POISON for dog's kidneys.
This has prompted me to start a thread about common foods which are allergic to dogs and what exactly the effects of these things are.
Taken from http://www.veganrepresent.com/forums...hp?t-1223.htmlThe database showed that dogs who ate the grapes and raisins typically vomited within a few hours of ingestion. Most of the time, partially digested grapes and raisins could be seen in the vomit, fecal material, or both. At this point, some dogs would stop eating (anorexia), and develop diarrhea. The dogs often became quiet and lethargic, and showed signs of abdominal pain. These clinical signs lasted for several days -- sometimes even weeks.
When medical care was sought, blood chemistry panels showed consistent patterns. Hypercalcemia (elevated blood calcium levels) was frequently present, as well as elevated levels of blood urea nitrogen, creatinine and phosphorous (substances that reflect kidney function). These chemistries began to increase anywhere from 24 hours to several days after the dogs ate the fruit. As the kidney damage developed, the dogs would produce little urine. When they could no longer produce urine, death occurred. In some cases, dogs who received timely veterinary care still had to be euthanized.
The ingredient in chocolate that dogs are allergic to is called methylxanthine. This is what it does;
from http://www.avma.org/careforanimals/a...poisoninfo.aspFortunately, the animal frequently vomits soon after which reduces the amount of poison in the stomach available to act on the body and decreases the toxicity somewhat. If clinical signs are seen, these can include vomiting, excessive urination, hyperactivity, fast breathing, weakness and seizures. While rare, death can occur, usually due to the adverse action of methylxanthines on the heart.
Onions and Garlic:
from: http://<a href="http://www.peteducat...cleid=2414</a>In dogs and cats, garlic and onion can cause Heinz body anemia, resulting in a breakdown of the red blood cells and anemia. The very small amounts of garlic that are present in some commercial pet foods have not be shown to cause any problems.
The bulbs, bulbets, flowers, and stems of the garlic and onion are all poisonous.
Signs: Vomiting, diarrhea, anemia, discolored urine, weakness, liver damage, allergic reactions, asthmatic attacks, and in case of skin exposure, contact dermatitis
I thought I would throw in these two as it is important to keep your pill bottles up, locked, and off of the floor:
(human tylenol) I didn't know this was as severe as it is:
Taken from: http://www.avma.org/careforanimals/a...poisoninfo.aspDogs (particularly small dogs) are also susceptible to significant tissue damage from as little as two regular strength Tylenol and repeated doses increase the risk significantly. Signs develop quickly and can include salivation, vomiting, weakness and abdominal pain.
NSAIDs: Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Phenylbutazone, Naproxen - X,
from: http://www.avma.org/careforanimals/a...poisoninfo.aspThe pain relievers discussed here are known as NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) and are widely prescribed with caution by veterinarians to relieve pain from arthritis and other conditions. Animal dosages, however, are much lower than human dosages. Use of NSAIDs can significantly increase the risk for development of stomach or intestinal ulcers, particularly in a sick patient, or one receiving other medications. These pain relievers cause signs of poisoning by decreasing the mucous production in the stomach.
I know there are many more common things out there so please feel free to add to this list!!! I think it's important for us to know!