Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Common things dogs have allergies to:

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with pork is that it's hard to digest.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

How about tomatoes? I remember hearing they were poisonous to dogs but I cannot find anything to back it.. Anybody know anything about this?
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

I'm relieved that a little cooked onion in stew or casserole is ok- Holly has had it that way a handful of times (usually at my mums; I'm mean and feed her dried) with no ill effects. Oddly, I've noticed that sweetcorn- even cooked sweetcorn- does not seem to be well digested and in some cases even causes the runs.
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like

corn comes back out the way it goes in.. It makes dogs POOP lots too. Avi fed Kosmo about 1/4 of an ear of corn one night and I could have killed him as Kos pooped 3 times during that morning walk. A lot of "commercial" brand dog foods make dogs poop a LOT because the first few ingredients are corn corn corn (good filler, right?) wrong!
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would not purposely feed a dog onion under any circumstances. Why take a chance - onion is toxic to dogs!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Way back when, when I didn't know better, I would give my dogs (not my cavaliers) each a grape if I was eating a bunch. My one dog, a blue heeler mix would have so much fun tossing that grape around, playing with it almost like a toy. My other dog, a springer mix would snarf hers down so fast. They never got more than one or two at a time so I guess it was not enough to cause them any problems. A woman at a garden store was trying to convince me to plant some grape vines in my backyard. When I told her that I had dogs (my cavaliers) and I didn't want them eating the fruit because it was toxic, she was dumbfounded. She said her lab ate grapes in her backyard all the time without any problem. I don't know how well her luck has held out. Monty accidently got some chocolate covered raisins. He got sick to his stomach. He threw up a few times. I was out of town at the time. It wasn't until later that we discovered what he had eaten. Monty is his own worse enemy. I do my very best to keep bad things away from my pups.
    J.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just as a point of information: these are not actually things dogs are allergic to but rather things that are poisonous to dogs -- I think that is what you mean?

I have a link with lots of info in the Library section as well.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com