• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bad behavior

MishathePooh

Misha, now 10, just moved in (PA to Ohio) with me this summer after me being away at university for 5 years. I noticed a recent behavior that is quite unfavorable. He acts aggressive (barking and unfriendly jumping up) towards people in the neighborhood that he doesn't know. He's fine when he's not in his neighborhood and he's a little better off-leash than on, but not much. He acts the same way when he visits my parents in PA (whom he lived with for the first 10 years) and with me in OH.

I have tried having people give him treats, but he takes the treat and as soon as he swallows he starts his barking/jumping again. This is a dog that did nursing home therapy when younger, went to dog shows, and is out and about every day! Like I said earlier, if I take him to the park or to a fair or anywhere out of the neighborhood, he's fine. This behavior started around the time of the move, not sure if it was before or after.

I guess my questions would be - any guesses as to why he's acting this way? What can I do to change the behavior?

I wonder whether age changes them. (I hate to think of 'age' as two of mine are 9, and 11 next month. )

The reason I say this is because Izzy, who's 9 and in end stage mvd (Don't think that's the cause) developed some alarming behaviour , earlier this year. He's never been too keen on Joly, but the incidents happened with Monty, too.

If either Joly or Monty squealed, albeit briefly, because of a claw caught in ear, twisted leg, being 'attacked' by a trailing wire, Izzy has gone in and attacked their ears. despite having few teeth he has held on like something demented, until distracted by various means, including water.
If the victim screamed, the more determined to hang on was he.

The vet found nothing wrong with him and said dogs sometimes start doing odd things like this.

Now we freeze, if there's a squeak, until Izzy is known to be out of the way or distracted. Onc ethe squeak has finished he's no longer interested. It's very odd and must be connected with the sound.

When we first got Ozzy, and he feel down some stairs Busta had a right go at him, not sure if it is the pack thing of attacking when a member is ill..... :?

Back