Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog door flaps?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dog door flaps?

Hi everyone, I havn't been on for a while but things are going ok with charlie although he did have to spend a night at the vets to cut a long story short he had E coli but is absolutely fine now .
    We have been away and he stayed with my nan for a week needless to say he was spoilt rotten and was even allowed to sleep on nans bed , has tried cocking his leg to go to wee and has really come on with the house training which leeds me to my question!!
    Dog door flaps? does anyone use them? I'm thinking of getting the one where Charlie would wear a little fob on his collar so the flap will only open for him.
    We live in a 3 storey town house, the front room & kitchen are on the 1st floor so this is where we are most of the time and it's not easy to tell when he needs to go out as we need to go downstairs through 1 door and into my daughters bedroom to get to the back door! He could be downstairs for a little while before someone notices that he maybe needs to go!!.
    So I thought maybe a dog flap then he can let himself in & out without having to wait for us!!
    He's doing really well so far and I don't want to hinder him in any way, if we could easily see the back door and when he was stood waiting this wouldn't be a problem
    Thanks everyone

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi estelle,

Sound like your house is very similar to mine - we have to go through the cellar to get to the back door.

I've put some poochiebells on the cellar door which is in the kitchen, each time we go "potty" I get hold of Oakley's paw and tap the bells.

He hasn't caught on yet fully as he is only 11 weeks but Merlin has started to hit them with his bum when he wants to go out........
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

In this climate of dog thefts, I wouldn't consider a facility which let my ddog go out, even in my garden ,alone. Having said that, mine oftenget the back door left open, but I'm not far from it, we have a very clanky tall metal gate and my boys are very vocal, if someonme approaches. A puppy is a different matter, because it is too friendly and trusting, being likely to not make a sound , if lifted.

This sounds scaremongering, but that's how things are nowadays. Since Josh, the ruby boy, went missing a few miles from me, mine won't even be let off the lead, unless there's only one dog with me, doing obedience, so on instant recall.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see where your coming from but fortunately there's no way that anyone can get to our back garden

Post Thanks / Like

Our yard is fenced in, but we still go out with the dogs just to make sure they do their job...and so we can be sure to pick it up. I hate stepping in poo in my own yard, it makes me crazy! Plus, it's my chance to see that they're healthy, no loose stools, etc. Also, Gus ate a mouse a few weeks back, and had I not been there to see it, I wouldn't have know to treat him for posion.

and, where there's a will there's a way....if someone wants something bad enough they'll get in.
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like

Estelle,

First off, sorry to hear that charlie had e.coli!! What an awful thing to have to go through.!! It seems like he's had a lot of things going on with him!! Poor little guy.

Secondly, can I ask how old Charlie is? Reason being is right now Kosmo is 9 months old. He doesn't have accident in the house.. EVER. Reason being though, and I am totally convinced, is because I take him out and WATCH him while he goes. That way I know when he's gone, what he's done, and I have a better understanding of when he'll have to go again. I also feel better to know nothing's happened like Jen had happen to her. Doggie doors work well for some people, but I know a few people who installed them and they were rendered useless except for when the post man or company came.
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It is a good idea to still go out with them even when they are older - apparantley you tell a lot from poo! I must admit - it often gets discussed between me and the grannies! I like to know how many and what they were like after they have been at Grans while I'm at work... just in case...
    Kirsty

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 doggy doors. One to a fenced area that they can use anytime. The other is in my deck screen door and is only open when I open the sliding glass door.

The dog doors I have purchased for regular doors, always come with a cover, so that you can chose to close off the dog flap when you don't want the dogs to use it. I generally only use this closure when there is a very windy rainstorm. I close it then or else the wind blows the rain in. For normal rainstorms, there is no problem.

My dogs sleep in my bedroom with me and my bedroom door is closed. So they aren't going out in the middle of the night. However I leave the dog door available all the time. The dogs go out whenever they need to. My big problem is that Merry loves to bark. She'll go outside for that purpose too.
    Charleen and Cav's: Pippin (ruby male), Merry (b&t female), Luke (blenheim male) & Jolly (tri male puppy)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merlinsmum
    It is a good idea to still go out with them even when they are older - apparantley you tell a lot from poo! I must admit - it often gets discussed between me and the grannies! I like to know how many and what they were like after they have been at Grans while I'm at work... just in case...
    What about the Englishman's reputation for discussing the weather ?
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Who wants to talk about the weather when you have a cavalier? In fact, why would you want to talk about anything else
    Kirsty