• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

question about ticks

jill

my friends little shih tzu had a tick on her neck this morning and they tried to pull it off, but i'm not sure they got it all. this isnt the first ticks she has gotten as where they live there seems to be an abundance of them. even though they religiously use the frontline and regularly groom her she seems to get a tick every few months.

usually if we use the tweezers and massage the area around the tick it releases itself and the entire thing comes out, but this time seemed different. the area around where it was attached was very red and irritated.

she has an appointment with the vet tomorrow morning and they said they would do a blood test to check for lyme disease, and also discuss the lyme disease vaccination with them.

just wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences.

thank you!

Yup, Maxx once came in absolutely plastered in ticks all over his face :yikes . He'd been making friends with a visiting hedgehog in the garden :roll:

Never, ever pull a tick as you can leave part of the head in the skin and it can become infected and go all horrible :yuk:

I stronghold my boys but I also use a variety of things to remove ticks. Neat vodka works wonderfully well. Just dip a cotton bud in the vodka and then dab onto the tick - it should fall off within a minute :lol:

Another good way is to use a headlice comb and comb it out if it's only just gotten on the dog.

OR you can use petroleum jelly, a blob on the top of the tick - enough to cover it and the tick will fall off within a couple of hours - this suffocates it :lol:

I loathe ticks they are gross things :yuk: My friend's hubby once had one get in his belly when he was out on manouvres (in the armed forces). he didn't find it until it had been there about a week. He ended up in hospital having it surgically removed as it had gone into his skin & was actually in the flesh :yikes :yuk:

my last dog (a daschund named ally) she once had a tick and that night i noticed her to be pretty weak and not as playful as usual ..so i was just rubbing her when i felt a bump - it was a tick...thankfully i got it out in time and she as totally fine after that!

well my friend has had an experience too (unfortunately)..

she had this beautiful Maltese dog and very friendly/obedient VERY cute dog..and he's had a number of ticks but they have always managed to find it in time....but one day they didnt see it and the next day he was dead with massive bloated tick on him :( :( it was sooo sad...about 2 years before that she lost another dog thanks to her neighbours stupidity so it was very hard for her but it was easier this time because she also had another dog at the time who she felt comforted by..

because of this i am always scared of ticks around here (very common in this area) but thankfully my two have had no tick experience...

Ticks..... :sl*p:

When Merlin was only about 6 months old he got a tick, only when I spotted it - it looked like a grain of rice. I rang mum in a panick as we'd only had rice a few days before...... I was convinced a grain of rice had fallen on Merlin and his skin had grown over it ( daft I know :lol: ).

It was a tick, only it hadn't fed yet so was not purple ( like I had seen once or twice on mum's dogs)

Anyways - she put some herbal stuff on it and it fell off after a couple of hours...

I've got one of those mikki tick tweezers now - I'm hoping because I have it I will never need to use it ( bit like insurance!)

I was looking at photos of ticks on the Internet last night after reading this. They look really disgusting when they're engorged! :yuk:

Are the dogs safe from them during the winter (below freezing)?

But don't go overboard with removal. i heard of an old woman , who went to the vet, because her dog wouldn't keep still for her to remove a tick from his underside.--- It was his nipple-she didn't think boy dogs had them. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bet the poor dog was happy once she stopped :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are the dogs safe from them during the winter (below freezing)?
oh definitely safe!!! tick's are usually only out in summer time when it is very warm...a warm spring can bring them out early too...its usually only the warm seasons they come out in

But don't go overboard with removal. i heard of an old woman , who went to the vet, because her dog wouldn't keep still for her to remove a tick from his underside.--- It was his nipple-she didn't think boy dogs had them.
:lol: :lol: that is hilariouS!!!! but im sure the dog hated it! ive heard from people that ticks come off if vaseline is smeared all on them..is this true?? because ive also heard that vaseline makes it worse so i hve noo clue what to believe...i think i went a tad overboard with the removal thing...i was sure that monty had a tick once and he wouldnt stay still long enough for me to remove it with tweezers so i basically (this is before i heard the other side) smothered his skin all around the tick within the radius of between 5 - 10 cms with vaseline!! a bit of an over-reaction! icon_whistling

EWWWW!!! I had never seen a tick before so I did a google image search and I want to vomit!!!!! What a disgusting little vermin!!!! :yuk: Thank goodness I have never had to deal with one before. I feel as though I am pretty lucky living in Florida and never even have seen one. Now that is the stuff nightmares are made of!!

Someone once told me to put surgical spirit on a tick & when that didnt work they said try to burn it off :shock: I didnt take their advice :roll:

If you are going to manually remove a tick, you should "unscrew" it by turning it anti clockwise with a tick remover tool. They should never just be pulled straight out because the head etc can be left behind and cause infection.

Also, as has been said, you should never touch the tick with your bare hands as they can cause you to get Lymes disease.

Alison

Back