• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

how much was your cavalier?

Nothing , we found our first cavalier as a stray & my others where rescues I kept.

Thats about average I think....they all vary a little bit....with bigger fluctuations for show quality etc.

Just PLEASE all ... don't ever be tempted with a cheeper Puppy Farm/Mill puppy, or those in Free Ads etc or those with Mobile phone numbers offering delivery... :( Walk the other way even if your heart strings are pulling.... :(

Alison, Wilts, U.k.

I didn't pay anywhere near what he has meant to me over the last 7 years :lotsaluv:

Charlie was free as he was a rescue that they were having problems rehoming but he's cost me a darned sight more than buying a couple of pups ever since hahahaha - he's worth it though and I wouldn't be without him. Especially when like this morning, he jumped on my bed, kissed my nose twice and then rolled over to have his belly tickled :lol: - when he first came here no one could get near him and he'd most certainly never have willingly come and kissed us :(

Abbey was free, she was a rescue of sorts--some friends of friends looking for a good home for her and we we're looking for a Cavalier so it worked out perfect! :lotsaluv:

How much? LOTS, but I've gotten more in return.
My first (m, b&t) was $1500. I thought I'd done my research, but was duped by a byb pro. (The breeder is listed on the second post in this thread: http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=414 )Her scam was busted and she was convicted, but that didn't help me any. Rainbow Bridge.

My second (m, b&t) was $1800 and from a very reputable breeder who travels to shows all over the US. Rainbow Bridge.

My third (f, r) joined our family when she was 10 months as an owner surrender/rescue. Didn't cost me a dime.

My fourth (m, b&t) cost $1400 from another reputable breeder who also shows and is very active in ckcs club rescue.

Monty was £180 , 10 years ago-cheap

Izzy was £230. 9 years ago-very cheap considering his sire-1st time breeder

Joly was £350 3 years ago -same breeder

Teddy £500 , 3 years ago. More than the breeder would have charged but to keep the pups she had to pay the breeding terms owner the going rate for her sales, He is champion sired and the breeding terms person is a top breeder.

Toby was £300, 4 years ago
Chloe was from a rescue home - fee was £60 plus we gave £40 donation :flwr:

Corgan was a steal in the US - $850. Of course, now I realize that his breeder wasn't up to par and next time I want a puppy I'll be more scrutinizing of breeders before selecting a puppy. Of course, the next Cav I get will probably be a rescue - which is what we wanted this time, but didn't have the right resources to find places like Lucky Star, etc!! We love our little guy to pieces though, and wouldn't trade him for the world!!

I paid $1,200.00 for Berna in August and I have absolutely no regrets about it-- I love her and she's worth every penny! :)

When i first saw Zack i was told he was $1250. I had been interested in another pup they had, a blenheim female who was $1500, and i didn't decide right away.

Also, i was trying to arrange with another person to see a blenheim male, trying to arrange a time with the breeder when i could come see him, and she didn't quote a price but made clear that it would be over $2000, she said she couldn't remember what they had decided, the pup's parents, grandparents and great grandparents were all clear of early onset MVD, only one of them, a 10 year old grandparent, had a very mild murmur, the puppy had an undescended testicle.

But of all the pups i saw, which included others besides those i mentioned, and were all in the $1500 to $2000 plus range, while they were all cute and most were sweet, only Zack really captured my heart, and when i went back to see him a second time, still not fully decided, i was told they decided to change the price to $900 because he has non-standard or not desireable markings.

While i don't love spending any more money than i have to, so in a way that was a good thing that they lowered the price, it actually caused me to hesitate more before buying him. I was informed that a cavalier should cost at least $2000, anything less would not be from a reputable source, although price alone, no matter how high, was no guarantee that the source was reputable.

So, although i don't love spending so much money, i felt that a lower price was a strike against a dog. And i kept looking. But i loved Zack, i kind of resisted and fought the urge to get him for all the right reasons, and tried to find another dog, but finally bought him for $900.

I was so reluctant to buy a cavalier who didn't meet high standards that i made a trip out to where zack was (pretty long drive) with the cash in my pocket, played with him, continued to love him, but still walked away that day without buying him, for all the right reasons, i never mentioned to the woman that i had the money on me and i told her i was still thinking about it. But I did buy him, about three days later, for $900, and then spent another $1100 on vet bills the first month :?

It was veterinary misdiagnosis rather than having bought a "cheap" cavalier that was the cause of the medical bills though. He had a very benign common easily and cheaply treatable condition that was not caught by several vets for over a month. In fact, the woman i got him from told me the first day what was wrong with him and sent me medication to cure it, but i ended up choosing to trust the vets instead.

My daughter's cavalier, Belle, who i consider to be "my" cavalier too in a way, cost $2000.

How's this for inflation over the years:

My puppies:

Misty £85 in 1987
Cracker £220 in 1992 but show quality
Cailean £300 in 2000 very inbred, hence low price

Pre-owned:

Declan £100 in 2001 2/12 years old
Bradley £110 in 2006 Many Tears Rescue
Topsy N/A in 2006 permanent foster dog

woohoo - can't believe I've had the pleasure of owning all these Cavi's.

Can't believe I've got 3 now either :) :) :)

Bertie was £350 in September this year. He's not KC registered or anything and unfortunately, no health checks were done by the breeder so I have yet to see if he develops any of the nasties that some suffer from.

I am suspicious as to whether there might have been some puppy farming going on at some stage where I got him from, have heard things since getting him though it certainly didn't seem like a puppy farm when I visited.

My only regret is that I might have funded an unscrupulous breeder but as for Bertie, not one single regret, he's the best thing that's happened to me in a long time.

Alison

How much was your cav

Katy was £300 in 1999. Emma was £350 in 2002. Both came from the same breeder. I got her name from the UK CKCS club. Both dogs are KC registered and came with puppy insurance. She does all health checks and is very caring and responsible. She keeps in touch with all her puppy owners and both dogs receive a card from her each year on their birthdays. Judging by what others have paid my two girls were a steal! I am very happy with this breeder and if I wanted another Cavalier I would go to her without hesitation.

Janine

The puppy I will be getting will be $1500, plus about $200 for me to fly to Ohio and get him. From everything I can find so far, she is a reputable breeder.

We paid $1300 for Bella, she was my birthday present from DH.

Best birthday present I've ever received! :luv:

Cupcake was $1300 and was my Christmas gift from the husband last year. Nacho, on the other hand, was "free" and was given to us by Cupcake's breeder as payment for all her medical costs. We in turn gave Nacho to my parents and he is now their favorite child. :lol:

Merlin was £500 in 2005, Oakley £600 in 2006 - both from the same breeder - they have the same doggy mummy.

Back