• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

how much was your cavalier?

Mattie was 250 pounds in1991? he came from a puppy farm which until later I did not find out but he was quite ill but I would not send him back there
Rocky was 300 pounds in 1998 again from soneoneI knew
Barney came from a friend and was 325 pounds.
Aileen

Wesley was $795. He was "discounted" from the original $1400 because he was older when we got him (6 months) and also had extreme kennel cough. We had to take him to get nebulized twice a day for two weeks (no fun). We haven't had any health problems with him since and he is almost three. He is healthy as a horse!

Cody was free because he was a gift from my mother in law. The best present EVER!!

Jeremy was $650 AUS. About standard for where I live. Got him from a reputable breeder and he is just great. Am thinking of getting another one next year.

Worth every penny...

I was sitting the other day with both dogs on my lap, and was thinking, whoa, I have about $3500 worth of dog sitting on my lap right now. Charlie was about $1500, but he was a present, and my little Darla Doodle was, gulp, $1800. I can't believe I paid that much... Oh well, she's worth it!!

Bailey was £350 in April this year.

I was not suspicious at the time but my vet informed me he was from a puppy farm as he reconised the address on his vaccination form.

My only regret is that I might have funded an unscrupulous breeder.

Hops was $750 AUS. We bought him from a fantastic breeder with full papers etc.
I can easily say that I don't know how we ever managed without our baby :)

Well, I think I *win when it comes to what's been paid for the dogs! Bentley and Clancy were each $2,000. :yikes
It may be a dubious honor! icon_whistling

However, they are both worth each and every cent! I do feel as though their breeder earns it. She does so much in the way of testing and research.

BarbMazz said:
Well, I think I *win when it comes to what's been paid for the dogs! Bentley and Clancy were each $2,000. :yikes
It may be a dubious honor! icon_whistling

However, they are both worth each and every cent! I do feel as though their breeder earns it. She does so much in the way of testing and research.

I too have two thousand for a pet cavalier-- He is wonderful and his breeder is a good friend and a mentor.

I'm paying £550 for my ruby next week. I'm trying to knock her down as it turns out he has a minor umbilical hernia and may need an operation.

I paid £350 for my old Cavalier in 1994 (RIP)

I'm in the $2,000 club, too. I decided to pay that only because Mia has good bloodlines and parents, grandparents are healthy and have won championships, etc., blah, blah, blah... I just wanted a healthy girl and she's been worth every penny!!

Her breeder sent me pictures of her sisters, one from her litter and one from a previous litter. They all look identical--so cute!!

Geeez....here in Northeast US, most good breeders are asking $2500 - 3000. It is also unfortunately why so many people go to BYB/puppy millers where the price is so much cheaper. They don't know all the horrors and just want a pup without breaking the budget.

Every breeder I have asked so far has been in the $2,000-$3,000 range. Since Im still hunting around for a breeder I have been contacting mostly breeders listed on the CKCSC.org breeder list but I agree with Molly that it might just because we live in the Northeast and everything is more expensive in this area. Still Id rather pay more to get the healthiest puppy from a good respectable breeder then a sick cheaper puppy from a puppy farm

Here in So Cal the going price is minimum $2000. You're right...the price is what causes many people who want a Cavalier to go to a BYB. Unfortunate but true. Also unfortunate that most likely the dog will cost them much more than that financially and emotionally in the long run.

in addition to the price, or even independent of the price, there are some other reasons for buying from backyard breeders or breeders who aren't strict on health tests. A high price certainly does not guarantee a "reputable breeder" in the sense of strict health testing and careful breeding. There are lots of disreputable breeders charging top dollar, and people willing to pay, thinking that paying such a price is what will guarantee a quality dog. Lots of people think that they are buying from a reputable source, just out of being innocently naive.

Speaking from my experience, the learning curve about how to buy a cavalier is steep and it's a lot to absorb. Before getting a cavalier, i had gotten my dogs from the pound or similar sources, and just chose a dog because i liked the dog, simply, and not even thinking about health issues.

It was really more than i could grasp when, during my search for a cavalier, someone counseled me on how to buy a dog from a reputable breeder and said it might take a year or two. I desperately wanted to share my life with a dog and I really could not compute that part, the part about not having a dog to come home to and go places with for some indefinite amount of time with no guarantees.

intellectually i could understand the importance of health testing, but even though i had an initial knowledge about that, it was superficial. I didnt' really grasp what it meant to do this for the good of the breed for some time after being introduced to the idea and imagining that i understood it.

In the beginning i knew nothing about distinctions between brokers, byb and reputable breeders, although i did know about puppy mills, having seen a TV documentary about them years before, so was permanently turned off to buying a dog from a pet store. But other than that, i thought the obvious thing was to look on the web and find someone to buy a dog from. It was just a fluke that i ended up learning more than that, learning about what it meant to buy from a reputable breeder, before i got a dog, i could've easily not encountered the person who educated me about that, i mean, i'm sure there are plenty of people who have the kind of frame of mind i had before meeting that person, and who buy dogs innocently because they think it would be wonderful to have a dog and don't know about what to be cautious about.

The broker i got Zack from sold dogs for one breeder in another state, she was a stay at home mom with three little kids, a big spacious yard, lots of happy dogs of all ages running around, the back door open, dogs running in and out of the house, a warm friendly environment, good supervision of dogs and kids, well socialized puppies learning about house training, nice sincere woman, her home always open for visits. For someone so new to the cavalier issues, it wasn't that easy to grasp the problem.

i know there are a lot of people who are willing to spend a lot and believe a high price will guarantee a quality dog. Just today, i had to have the ISP cable guy come because of internet problems. He liked Zack, was petting him, i asked him if he had a dog, he said yes, a Pomeranian that weighs 6 pounds. He said it was an expensive dog. He volunteered that it cost $2300. I asked if that breed had any health issues. He said no. I dont' know if they do. But i suspect that he didn't look into it because he answered vaguely, as if it were an odd question i was asking.

I've heard so many stories from people who bought cavaliers, thinking their breeder was reputable only to find out later that the high standards were not met, and lots of these people paid a lot for their puppies. There is just so much to learn and then, even after learning various facts, it's still a lot to grasp, and speaking for myself, for someone who came from a nonpurebred culture, who actually preferred mutts for their uniqueness, and other presumed or imagined qualities, much of it was really beyond my comprehension due to the foreigness from my preexisting experiences and mind set.

Even still, there's a lot i don't understand about breeding and the good of the breed and what is best for the health of the dogs in terms of breeding. There are some kinks in my understanding that need straightening out.

Lily was $700 from a Breeder in Alabama. I got a $50 discount for the overbite. Not that big a break if you ask me. Oh well. This seemed about an average range for the breed near me. I am in florida and could not find a breeder without having to travel. So we drove 5 hours north to Birmingham to get our precious girl!

I totally agree with you Judy in that an expensive dog doesnt necessary mean quality or a good breeder in anyway. I guess Im coming from a different perspective as I have always wanted a puppy but have never had one. Growing up my mom was and still is terrified of all creatures great and small so I lived a pet free existance for 25 years. So that gave me a lot of time to research and look into all different kind of dog breeds and figure out what was the best for me as well as where to buy one from. I have spent the last year contacting and trying to meet up with breeders within a 3 state radius of me. I knew from research that many breeders breed infrequently and so waiting lists are long and prices are high if you are looking into a good breeder who takes time to breed for health, temperment, and adherence to the breed standard. I knew I would be waiting for a pup and possibly traveling a great distance to obtain it but thats all been fine for me. Ive waited 25 years I can wait a little longer. In the end what Im hoping is to find a breeder that I feel comfortable with and who I know is a good breeder breeding for the breed's best interest. I hope to build a long term relationship with this breeder as I know I will be a life time Cavy owner and lover and learn from them. Since Im still young and my only family hasnt even begun I know this is just a look into the distant future but I do hope one day that maybe I can take all the knowledge and experience I have garnered throughout the years and take it to work toward the betterment of this lovely breed.

judy said:
in addition to the price, or even independent of the price, there are some other reasons for buying from backyard breeders or breeders who aren't strict on health tests.

Oh Judy, :flwr:

please re-think about this......with the health issues in the breed as they are with MVD & SM so widespread etc don't we owe it to these little guys to try and breed from health checked parents ALWAYS...after all who wants to see sick pups? it is well known that these type of breeders are more for the $&£ then the pups themselves....

Perhaps in the U.S your backyard breeders are different than in the U.K???....I know your Puppy Mills are the same as our Puppy Farms....AWFUL STINKING HOLES OF HELL....please don't ever buy from either, there are good breeders doing the very best in breeding...support them, they are trying so hard to care for this enchanting, beautiful breed.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Alison_Leighfield said:
..Oh Judy, :flwr:

please re-think about this......with the health issues in the breed as they are with MVD & SM so widespread etc don't we owe it to these little guys to try and breed from health checked parents ALWAYS...after all who wants to see sick pups? it is well known that these type of breeders are more for the $&£ then the pups themselves.......

yes, sorry, what i said was misleading--i don't mean i'm advocating buying from backyard breeders and brokers. I think enchanting dragon who wrote the post above provides the ideal example of how to buy a cavalier. I'm just saying that the reasons people don't buy a cavalier in that way, especially people new to the world of cavaliers, is a complex thing, and it's not always simply a matter of trying to get a lower price. I think a lot of people pay a high price to non-reputable sellers, and trusting in the quality of the dogs at least in part because of paying such a high price, and not unreasonably for the many of us out here who were not familiar with the world of the cavalier before deciding to get one. Even after researching, there is so much to absorb, there is a whole emotional side to it that when experienced, teaches the lesson of "the good of the breed" in a way that just words on paper can't.

Clearly, no cavalier should be bought from a seller who has not had parents health tested, and has waited past the point of early onset MVD to breed, and health histories of grandparents and great grandparents should be known and should be good, in order to breed a cavalier, as i understand with heartbreaking clarity now. SM screening practices are needed, MRIs are vital. Ideally puppy buyers would insist on these thing. It seems to be a matter of the information about cavalier breeding and health needing wider and wider dissemination.

Something i am fuzzy on is questions about inbreeding cavaliers to achieve a certain head shape or as once came up on these boards, to eliminate umbilical hernias--does this kind of reduction of the gene pool cause more likelihood of unanticipated genetic disease in these guys? Will they have to pay a heavy price in order to have a certain look or gait? Or to have "perfection" of various kinds? Or is breeding for appearance safe and without risk for the future of the breed as long as the known health problems are screened for and eliminated from breeding stock?

As Karlin has said elsewhere in discussing the problems of someone wanting to jump into breeding cavaliers without knowledge, this is such a complex and vast subject, and the more i try to learn, the more questions remain unanswered in my mind, it seems. Is breeding for perfection and purity safe? i've read in histories of the breed in the 20th century that it was breeding efforts to achieve a certain specific look that caused the now epidemic frequency of early onset MVD. Is that true?

If it is true, or partially true, then a solution would be to not breed just those dogs with MVD, while still trying to achieve the look with the apparently heart clear dogs. So even though the gene pool would still be being reduced, would that be safe? Or is that somethign that can be known in advance?

Back