• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

how much was your cavalier?

Im not sure mishmosh My only speculative guess is that they arent as common in the US as in England where I hear they are the number 1 toy breed. In the US they are still not that popular so there are less breeders breeding. Im not really sure but thats just a guess :p

When I got Dudley I paid $1200.00 Cdn when I bought Darby from the same breeder he was $1400.00 Cdn.

I once asked my breeder why they are so expensive in the US and she said that the demand was much higher therefore the breeders could ask more for them.

I paid $1600 for Daisy. That's a lot for a pet quality, restricted registration IMO, but I feel very good about the breeder. She gave me all the eye and heart checks on the mother and father, as well as OFA info of related dogs. The sire's owner is a well-known breeder who I saw written up in a national magazine as doing lots of work with MVD in the breed. I checked the pedigree back as far as I could, finding several long-lived heart-clear dogs. SM, of course, is still a crap shoot, and I worry about that all the time.

My dh thought I was literally insane for paying that, but I just couldn't risk getting a dog, falling in love with it and then having it develop severe health problems and/or dying before its time and breaking my heart and my kids'. I also knew that if there were health problems, those would be expensive to deal with, so it was a little bit of "pay now or pay later" rationalization, too. And the absolute last thing I would ever want to do is put any money into the pockets of anyone who was being cruel to these sweet little dogs (e.g., puppy millers).

I wish this breed didn't have the double whammy of having significant health problems AND being so expensive. It definitely weeds out the non-committed. I had my heart set on a Cavalier for so long, and waited for so long for the right time that I just decided I wasn't going to settle for anything else. I know I would love any dog I got, but I didn't want to look at a sweet little doggie and think "...if only you were a Cavalier..." :D

Wow... i cant believe how expensive they are over in the US. Here in Aus the average for a pet puppy is around the $500AUD... of course goes up to around the $800AUD

We only paid $650 for Jorja who has her main register etc and even though her parents are not Champions, all her grandparents are.

But when it comes down to it, 15yrs of joy from a Cav is worth much much more than even $2000USD if you ask me :)

So if, well, when I decide to get another Cav, what are the possibilities for someone in the USA to get one from overseas??? Yes, everyone is right, they aren't as popular here. not yet anyways....

It's funny you say that because that's what my husband said we should do -- get a plane ticket to England, buy a Cavalier and bring them back with us. I don't know what the quarantine issues would be, if any. It seems like it would almost be cost-feasible to do that. Or if you had a friend who was coming to the U.S. have them bring one with them! :)

Daisy's Mom said:
It's funny you say that because that's what my husband said we should do -- get a plane ticket to England, buy a Cavalier and bring them back with us. I don't know what the quarantine issues would be, if any. It seems like it would almost be cost-feasible to do that. Or if you had a friend who was coming to the U.S. have them bring one with them! :)

Tickets to England over two years ago-791.00 each rt
A week in London, visit crufts and Devon -- Don't ask $$-- Hotels are expensive and food is twice what it cost here (at the store even).
Pick up pup -- priceless Well actually I figured the cost (groan)--- and THEY do charge you to bring the pup on the plane.

You can bring IN a dog to the states-- It is more difficult to bring a dog TO England __ they don't have rabies problems there.

You have to find a reputable breeder -- sometimes health testing isn't done --- you would have much of the same issues.

Okay, so maybe I will stick to just getting my babes here in the US! Flying over and all the expenses, no way can I afford that! Anyone coming to Florida? :)

Im About $100.00 shy of the 2 grand club~
:yikes

But Ill tell you, an healthy, happy Puppy who brings more joy than one can imagine......and the rest I get knowing there will be no $ 3000.00 Surgerys for Lux Pat....Priceless.
:D

cavimom said:
Okay, so maybe I will stick to just getting my babes here in the US! Flying over and all the expenses, no way can I afford that! Anyone coming to Florida? :)

It would be an excuse to go to England or Ireland, though! I loved it there and I'd happily use a puppy as an excuse to go back, ANYtime!

BarbMazz said:
cavimom said:

It would be an excuse to go to England or Ireland, though! I loved it there and I'd happily use a puppy as an excuse to go back, ANYtime!

That is why we decided to go-- but renting a car (ouch) gas (ok, I won't grip about US gas prices again) driving on the wrong side of the road, driving in downtown London and going thru the congestion zone without a tag (OUCH)-- I just missed my home and dogs sooooo bad. We got to the room - looked at each other and said " I just want to be home". We decided right then and there we were homebodies who LOVE their home, family, dogs. That was the last time we left for longer than a weekend.

I have always dreamed of going to Ireland. And the company I work for is called Finbar - named after St. Finbarre's - and is owned by an Irish man. (Also, my mother's significant other) So, maybe one day we can make a "company trip" and I can get me another Cav!

cavimom said:
I have always dreamed of going to Ireland. And the company I work for is called Finbar - named after St. Finbarre's - and is owned by an Irish man. (Also, my mother's significant other) So, maybe one day we can make a "company trip" and I can get me another Cav!

I vote that you go for it! Hubby and I took a driving trip through Ireland, staying at B & B's along the way. The countryside is beautiful and the people we met were very, very friendly. More than a few times we were joined by locals in pubs at lunch or dinner. Very good conversation..we felt very welcome. I have indelible memories of our time there.

Back