• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Picky eater

murphy's mum

My 8 month old pup is a bit of a picky eater. When we got him from the breeder he was on Bakers, but our vet told us to change this, and that Science was the best. He loved this for about 2 months, then refused to eat it. I got worried and picked up a tin of Science meat, again he loved this for another couple of months. Same thing happened, so we changed it again to Wainwright's he couldn't get enough. Now he wont eat that either! Would eat any amount of our cats biscuits though if we'd let him. What can I do, am I just being soft with him? He doesn't get any treats if he's like this. Help he's my 1st pup, I hate it when he's like this.

Oh dear, another typical Cavalier! The best thing to do is to leave his food down for ten minutes and then if it's not gone, pick it up. Keep doing this at mealtimes until he realises that you are the boss and not him.

He'll eat when he's hungry. Sounds cruel but it's not.

I must admit that I do vary the flavours at mealtimes as I wouldn't want to eat the same thing for every meal.

Maxx had Pork and potato Burns for tea and tomorrow he's having duck and rice for breakfast (I think that's what I bought anyway :lol: ) .

Charlie had chicken and tripe Butchers food and tomorrow he'll get beef and tripe :yuk: I think varying the flavours keeps them interested icon_whistling

Heard it all before. :lol:

Some people say stick with one thing when you know it suits and do the taking away if not eating thing. This has to be done if your dog's tum gets upset.

However mine are ironguts, so I indulge by ringing the changes. When we finish a sack of dried , we have a few weeks on tinned, usually Butchers. That's Izzy's favourite , anyway.

Picky Izzy will readily eat Butchers, Pal (usually) and Chum. Dried he likes Pero Gold (mainly the pasta part), Pedigree, but only for a few days and Vitalin ( can't remember whether Supreme or Premum, but the one shops don't stock, so it comes from shows).

I feel glad i'm not the only one with a fussy eater! My vet was no help, just said stick with Science its the best quality would hear of me feeding him something like Pedigree, but as long as he enjoys his food I don't think i'm bothered. I know what you mean about eating the same thing all the time it MUST be boring.

You're in good company!! Cupcake is a horribly fussy eater and a few months ago pretty much refused to eat her kibble. I finally stumbled upon a brand she likes (Natural Balance) and bought two different flavors (original for the morning and sweet potato/fish for the evening). Thankfully that seems to work, but we'll see how it goes in the long run. On the other hand, she is NEVER picky about human food. In fact, I think she could have lived off the "bland" diet of chicken and rice when she was ill last month. :p

Don't give up, your little one will eat eventually. :)

:paw:

Kendra,

You know what's funny? When Maxx was small he'd refuse to eat anything unless it cost me a fortune. Now his favourite food comes from the leftovers on wrappers in the recycling bags :yuk: . Where we live they also like us to recycle kitchen foil, so when I've taken something from the oven I roll the foil up and put it in the bag. Maxx thinks this is the best thing ever and will try anything to get into the garage where the bags are kept and steal it :lol:

Gus was very fussy and then I started feeding him Innova Evo kibble with a little Innova canned mixed in... he has eaten consistantly for the last month no prob.

Barbara Nixon said:
Fussy eating tends to work in inverse proportion to number of dogs in household. :)

Barbara - do you mean the more dogs - the less the fussy eating? if so I couldn't agree more. Merlin was v. fussy ( still is to some extent) he will only eat his kibble, cheese, bits of steak/lamb/chicken/sauage/liver, whilst Oakley eats everything. Since Oakley's arrival Merlin has eaten Oakley's kibble, weetabix and generally eats much better at mealtime - even if they do share btween them!

merlinsmum said:
Barbara - do you mean the more dogs - the less the fussy eating? if so I couldn't agree more. Merlin was v. fussy ( still is to some extent) he will only eat his kibble, cheese, bits of steak/lamb/chicken/sauage/liver, whilst Oakley eats everything. Since Oakley's arrival Merlin has eaten Oakley's kibble, weetabix and generally eats much better at mealtime - even if they do share btween them!

That's right. When we had two, Monty would eat his fill and be satisfied and Izzy would happily leave his food for ages, knowing it would be untouched. He'd been known to go for two days on just a daily Bonio, even.

Joly made no difference, as he daren't challenge Iz, but come Teddy the Hoover, everybody does a silly dance at mealtimes and dishes are polished. The only exception is, if Izzy has a little extra Butchers, to finish off a can, he leaves a few bits of mixer for Monty, but only sometimes.

Hmm. I'll have to tell my other half that we definatly need another cavi, maybe a Tri this time. Just to help Murphy eat of course, nothing to do with the fact we'd both love another and are absolutly cavi crazy.

The bit about getting 1 just to help Murphy eat is, I stress a JOKE xx :yikes

Toby has never liked kibble of any sort, we have an assortment of barely used, left-over bags in the garage!
However, since I have changed to Burns, he eats every single scrap - a miracle. And as an added bonus, his coat is now very shiney!
He eats the Mini Bites, in fact all three of mine love it. :D
(the girls are pigs for their food, anyway!!!)
http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/store/erol.html#1x0&&

Back