• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Potty training in the winter vs. the summer

SHANO

I will be getting my puppy in January and I'm in Chicago. Our winters can get quite cold and snowy. Has anyone found it more difficult to train a puppy in the winter? I'm kind of hoping that since that's all he'll know, that he'll just think that's the way things are outside.

I litter trained my puppies and my last puppy that I bought was litter trained. I hope your breeder also does that, , when you have frigid winters and a little baby I don't think I would do without it. It doesn't mean they ONLY use it, but it's good to have an alternative.

I emailed the breeder that I might be getting a puppy from sometime in the future and she told me that in her experience it's almost easier to train in the winter.. she said it's because they want to get out, get it done, and get back in. I haven't had any personal experience with it though. I think for me personally I would rather get a puppy in the warmer weather because with kosmo i spent the first 2 months almost entirely outside. :yikes

good luck! :flwr:

so far the chill and ran here hasn't really stopped Brady. I plan on still taking him for short walks in the winter. He's got he's little wardrobe of sweaters shirts and coats so he's prepared for whatever comes his way. The first time I took him out in the pouring rain he didn't want to have anything to do with it, but I think he's gotten used to it. (plus after that he got a bath and he didn't like that much, i figured he was already wet, should just make him clean!)

I'd make sure to shovel the snow from a small area where you want your young puppy to do his/her business. Then I'd carry the puppy out to the shoveled area, and give a treat immediately when your pup wees, etc. before coming back inside.

If the area is very far from the house or the snow is deep, or it's very cold, I would carry the puppy back inside. Just try your best to make it positive and upbeat, without letting the pup get too cold - gotta keep those little feet from freezing and hurting!

What you want to avoid is a situation where puppy doesn't want to go out in the cold to wee. So rather than get into a struggle, just carry him/her outside with a positive attitude. :)

I got Spencer in October and Izzy in April. It was MUCH easier to train Izzy. My vet said it was because she is a girl. But I blame the weather just as much. Spencer HATED going out in the cold. All he wanted me to do was hold him. Sweaters didn't even seem to help him! :roll:

SHANO said:
I will be getting my puppy in January and I'm in Chicago. Our winters can get quite cold and snowy. Has anyone found it more difficult to train a puppy in the winter? I'm kind of hoping that since that's all he'll know, that he'll just think that's the way things are outside.

We've only had one litter while the weather was nice. It would be great to choose when the girls go into season.
We live in the northern suburbs of Chicago and the weather is "variable". We've had 60 degree new years day, and some January days have been 20 below zero.
In the winter, I paper train until the dogs can go outside-- The transition to outside is made much easier for us because the adult dogs teach the little ones what to do. If it is snowy, we shovel a path for the dogs to follow. Some plow through the snow and some tip toe in the path. The colder weather does promote quicker outside times. I am so babied with our fence. I feel every one of my past injuries when it is cold outside. Sandy

Puppies are so smart - they watch our body language closely. I think they can tell when we don't want to go out in the rain or snow, then they behave the same way.

Most of my cavaliers won't go outside in the rain-- they will hold it for hours. But - most of mine LOVE the snow (at least until they are cold).

Just make sure that you give the pups tum a good rub with a warm towel when they come back in if they are wet or cold...it's very easy for them to ctach a chill.

Oooh yes, warm towels on the radiator just for the doggies in this house when it's cold :flwr:

Shano, are you in a part of Chicago that gets extreme temperatures? I have a friend who lives there and she tells me that the wind chill is sometimes below zero - don't know if this is all over Chicago?

I think I'd be paper training or litter box training if it is - wouldn't want a puppy frozen to death :yikes

I know we Brits moan about our Winters but really we should be grateful we don't live in colder climes ;) :lol:

Maxxs_Mummy said:
Oooh yes, warm towels on the radiator just for the doggies in this house when it's cold :flwr:

Shano, are you in a part of Chicago that gets extreme temperatures? I have a friend who lives there and she tells me that the wind chill is sometimes below zero - don't know if this is all over Chicago?

I think I'd be paper training or litter box training if it is - wouldn't want a puppy frozen to death :yikes

I know we Brits moan about our Winters but really we should be grateful we don't live in colder climes ;) :lol:

I'm in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. The past few winters weren't that bad, but I just keep hearing that we're going to be getting hit pretty bad this winter. I'm about 50 minutes out of the city.

Back