• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How much exercise?

GusWilson

How much do you guys walk your Cavs? Gus and I go out for walks twice a day for 2 or three blocks... depending on the weather. When it is hot, he seems done with the walk after a block but if it is cool, he loves walking around.

Also, sometimes he seems to be walking slow from the start. Is this normal? Could my dog be as lazy as his owner or should I be worried??

Thanks

I walk Zack once a day, late at night, i mean, really late, between 11:30 and 1am, i just procrastinate after work, i have an energy crash after dinner. :slp:

zack loves to go and is ready to romp and run and scamper, and sniff and explore, usually we go from 45 minutes to an hour. we go three blocks one direction, then three blocks back the other direction, then two blocks in the opposite direction and two blocks back to home. Sometimes we go different ways like down the hill and back up. I live two blocks up from Main Street, which is a trendy place with trendy bars, and sometimes i walk all the way down there because Zack really likes the vibe of people, and i can give him practice with "heel," and "off." I have him on a 26 foot retractable leash so he can really do some running as we go along in the residential areas, and he goes strong the whole time. He doesn't tire out, he wants to keep going, running and romping.
:dogwlk:

Even though i think by now, after months of this walk every night, he knows when we come back to the home driveway, we are going up and returning home, but he keeps walking past it as if he doesn't know our walk is over. after we get home, he usually still wants to run and play. Ideally i'd do this walk with him twice a day, or, take him to the dog park as well as go for a walk. The running he can do at the dog park is much faster than the running on the leash, he can use different muscles and stretch out more.

i dont' think once a day is enough exercise, and i think having enough exercise helps minimize things like chewing behavior and barking, but right now i'm not living up to these standards.

Judy,

Do you not think that is the beauty of the Cavalier? They will do whatever you want to do. Yesterday it was pouring with rain, I just took Merlin on his "baby wee and poo walk", he was fine with that. Today the sun was shining so we went for a good run for an hour off leash which generally means he is doing twice the exercise I am.

Merlin is accomodating. If your ill he is quite happy with a brief but fast paced walk, if your feeling energetic and want to hike he enjoy that just as much........ ;)

i love my cavaliers!

I try to go with Brady everymorning before I head out to work for about 15 minutes, it's about a half a mile. Then I like to take him out again after dinner. That one is usually longer if it's nice enough out. On weekends and days off we go for about a 45 minutes walk. He's still all hyper when we get back inside and wants to play but after a few minutes he'll just crash. That brings me to another question. Brady is a little over 6 months old now, when should his energy level change from puppy to more laid back adut? He's never really been too bad though. He doesn't really chew on things he shouldn't and he doesn't really wonder off around the house because he has to always be by someone (usually me) so he's not bad about that, but sometimes when I take him for a walk he'll run around in circles around me and do crazy stuff. I just want him to be calm and walk nice. :D

It's very different here, just after time, weather and etc. When it's raining I have to push Fjalar out to pee and he wouldn't go out for a walk though he would have all the dog treats in the world! :lol:
Molder don't care so I take him out for a walk when it's raining but Fjalar stays home and I am telling you, it's not a chance that you can get him out with you, I have try for million times but he pull the leash until he retch and can't breath and I'm not going to strangle my precious dog so I just leave him at home! But Fjalar LOVES going out for walks and he goes out in all wheaters exept raining, once he went out in a snowstorm and that was okay and just very fun but if it's raining.. oh NO, I'm NOT going out in this :yuk:!! :lol: He is hilarious, I know hehe..
Hmm this is maybe a bit out of the topic, oops..
So, I go on about exercise now ;) My dogs love going out and I try to walk them as much as I can. Sometimes they get 30 minutes brisk walk in leash, sometimes 30-60 minutes run without leash, sometimes both and sometimes more. Like yesterday we went out for one hour brisk walk on leash and they got also run free for 30 minutes. Sometimes they run free for two hours but sometimes they just go out for a 30 minutes walk. As I said before, it's just very different ;)

Bit off topic sorry - Sunna - it will be fun to see how the boys react when you bring Mirra home. Merlin has rarely gone on a full walk since we got Oakley - Merlin stops before we get too far away from home!

can't wait for Thursday when we can actually let Oakley out properly!

When I had my doggies I tried to walk Bono at least 30 minuites in town a day (sometims both of us didn't want to go out in a snowstorm and -15 degrees frost.. :lol: )
And Nóra nearly allways got one hour free running a day. Sometims Bono went with her, but sometimes she needed to practis, so he just played home with me.
We go most walking in the summer when we are on Dalvík, than I and Sunna often go ald let them run free together :D

I normally take Murphy out twice a day, three times at the weekend. His morning 1 is normally 10 or 15 minutes before work. At night its normally about 30 - 40 minutes, unless of course it too wet and then he applies his brakes at the door. Weekends we normally try to get in as many miles off the lead as possible, he loves running about the forest.

I take Bertie out twice a day, morning walk is usually about an hour and evening walk around two hours, this varies depending on weather and other factors but it's seldom less than an hour.

I am disabled and can't walk very far so we go on my scooter, I park up and do a little walking with him, then I get back on the scooter and drive slowly round the park with him running around playing, occasionally jumping on and off the scooter when he feels like it.

When we head for home, he tends to like to do some more walking on the lead and gets on the scooter for a while if he's tired and then off again when he has a little more energy til we get home.

The rest of the time between walks, he gets let out onto my patio whenever he needs to go for a pee etc.

Alison

A major component of Zack's exercise is playing fetch. he can get in a lot of running, jumping and other athletic maneuvers in 10 or 15 minutes of fetch, it's quite aerobic, and we play it several times a night after work, and on weekends.

i was at the dog park today for about 45 minutes, Zack got some great running in. I was talking to a woman there who gave me an idea i hadn't thought of before, she takes her little dog Aston (sheltie mix) out for a walk and she uses a small bike. She rides the bike and has him on a 6 foot leash, and she rides along not very fast, but he gets a continuous 20 minute run. now that i think about it, 20 minutes sounds kind of long for a continuous run, but it would be a good way for Zack to get more running in on our nightly walks. I could pedal for a couple of minutes and have him running, and then i could stop and just push the bike along with my feet, just roll along, and let him sniff and explore like when we just walk, but with a bike, i could add in some real running.

There are many times when he breaks into a full run on our walks, and i see him getting to the end of the leash and i feel bad, i want him to be able to keep running and not have to stop when he gets to the end, so I'm tempted to run, i will often break into a short jog to give him some more distance to run, but I am not in shape to be able to keep going. But a bike! That would solve the problem. Just a small little kid's bike where i can firmly plant both feet on the ground. It sounds like it would have some of the benefits of the mobility scooter, which sounds very neat. I could even get some kind of basket for Zack to ride in, although I've yet to see him show any signs for tiredness on a walk. i'm stoked about this idea and am going to look on Craigs list right now.

Back