• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Overbites?

All great ideas. My one vet tried to tell me I only had a few weeks window to pull the baby teeth so that her jaw would keep growing. Another told me we had plenty of time as the jaw grows for quite some time. I am stuck on waiting and seeing what happens. I will continue to post to this topic as she grows to let anyone interested know how it develops. Maybe I can even get her to pose for a good overbit pic or two. :) Yeah right!

I know this is an old thread, but I am wondering how everything has panned out for you guys with dogs with overbites?

Our little Beau (9 weeks) has an overbite of about 3 mm (ie 1/8"). The breeders told us about it very early in the piece, reduced his price & also offered for us to choose a different puppy or bring him back if after his first vet visit we were unhapy. So no complaints... the breeders were great about it. However, by the time we learned of this we had already bonded with Beau due to our weekly access visits and it seemed unthinkable for us to not still want him.

So far this is not posing any problems for Beau. His lower canines are not digging into his upper jaw, nor is he having any problem eating. In fact, I would not have noticed if it hadn't been brought to my attention. I do notice however that Beau's lower canines are slightly more curved than his uppers and I wonder if this is a compensation.

Anyway, having read all of the above, I am going to use the"do nothing" approach unless a real problem occurs.

Would love to hear back from you all though about how your little fellows have fared.

Fergus has an overbite too. He got laryngitis at 12 days old and had to be dropper fed as he was not able to suckle. This apparently contributed to his overbite. He is fine, just takes a little longer over his food - mind you it doesn't seem to affect him when his granddad gives him steak...hmmm

Our vet said the main thing was to keep an eye on his teeth. They did a good check of his teeth when he had his neutering andthey check at all his vet visits. At his last check up they suggested brushing his teeth to help keep them clean and healthy. Other than that he is completely fine.

Amber's jaw causes no issues whatsoever with her eating, but I do worry that her mouth is overcrowded with teeth, and as reported before, the fact that her lower jaw is ever so slightly longer than the upper has caused one upper tooth in particular to grow in at a very odd angle. I mentioned to the vet when she was brought in for spay, and the vet said she'd take a look. I hoped she'd take the offending tooth out, but she may have forgotten about it. It doesn't seem to bother Amber, but it wouldn't take much for the tooth to go straight into the flap of skin over it.

Cosmetically, it's now only noticeable when you look at her from a certain angle in profile. To be honest, I don't think it's the jaw that's noticeable so much as the fact that she has a very tiny little black nose, and I think that makes her face look less in proportion than it actually is. I'm hoping her wee nose will catch up once the rest of her head has finished growing.

Personally, I'd be very interested in seeing pics of dogs with overbites/underbites- those that corrected, and those that didn't- from puppyhood through to adulthood.

Shelby has a little bulldog mouth...but it's so cute on her...gives her some serious attitude! It doesn't affect her ability to eat...if you saw her inhale her food in 20 seconds flat you'd know what I'm saying :roll: I do have my vet check her mouth each time we go in. When she went in for her teeth cleaning last month she did need to have a tooth removed. The vet explained that her teeth were crowded and that was what caused the one tooth to crack. We don't expect any further problems though.

If you go to ...... Vetinfo dot com and Dog Dental problems ..... there's some good information about both underbites and overbites.

If only I knew how to make a link...arghh! ;D

Hey thanks for the feedback. This has all been very reassuring. You guys are the greatest! :lotsaluv:

Beau is due for his booster in about a fortnight, so I'm going to get the vet to have a look and give an opinion, but I sure has hell am not going down the surgery/tooth pulling path with his baby teeth, but will keep an eye on the situation once the adult teeth start coming through.

Back