• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What do you put in your kong??

moniechris

I bought a few different styles of Kongs over the weekend and my dogs are hooked!!! I tried putting some of the Wellness treats in there (great because they are soft and squishy) but they ended up drying out and getting stuck. :yuk: My boys got bored because they couldn't get all the way in there to get the treats out (spoiled spoiled spoiled) :roll: .

I decieded that I was going to put peanut butter inside instead and my dogs went nuts!!!! Now when I leave I give them the kong with frozen peanut butter inside to make it last longer. I am using a holistic peanut butter that is really high in fiber so it is helping with Cody's bowl movement issues as well (YAAAY!! Firm poopy dance!!!!)

:wggle:

Any other ideas for Kong stuffers? I can't use the Kong products themselves because they have soy and wheat... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Kong stuffing by kong in itself I think is junk food so I never bought it. God knows he gets enough junk as it is.. :roll:

I have tried stuffing anything and everything in the kong, lol. I have stuffed peanut butter, charlee bears inside the peanut butter, kibble, carrots.. He eats it for about 5 minutes and then gets bored.. then of course it goes nasty and I have a lovely time trying to get it out. I plopped it into the dishwasher the day I found a fruit fly in there :grnyuk: and now all he gets is a naked kong. . . He still plays with it though! :)

Anything really nice and smelly goes in our Kongs!!! :D

Fish, sardines, meat, mince, cheese, veg cubes, we never get a scrap left in ours... :lol: ...they just need a good hot wash afterwards!

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Ok,

The new girl is going to look like a complete dunce, and be sent to stand in the corner with the cone shaped hat on!!!

But, emmm what is a Kong???

The only Kong I know stood on the top of a tall building and got himself shot by big guns on an aeroplane.

Orla :sl*p:

;) This is a puppy kong. Please excuse Pixie appearing to flip me off :D

PixieFlipOff.jpg

They have a small opening in the top and a large one in the bottom.

I cut up frozen carrots and layer them with peanut butter (all natural, no salt or sugar added) and then freeze them. Also bits of apples and plain yogurt on top and freeze them.

I stuff mine with some kibble mixed with either banana, sardines, the occasional bit of tinned food or any cooked meats or chicken which may be available.

If you're giving kongs regularly be careful to ensure that the contents are treated as part of their food rations and not extra treats, like my OH did icon_whistling

when my neighbor described his dog's favorite toy to me (the kong) he told me it was a rubber snowman lookin thing.. :lol: :lol: Never thought of it that way!

I use peanut butter, low fat cream cheese, and pumpkin...sometimes a mixture of 2 or 3 of them! I like the pumpkin because it keeps them "regular" (as so many on this board have recommended) and it is a treat for them as opposed to an addition to their food so they don't expect it always. :)

It does look like a snowman!! :lol:

Be cautious on peanut butter; it is extremely high in calories and saturated fat so small amounts just to hold stuff in are best and be sure to subtract from the total calories for the week. I don;t use peanut butter too often for this reason -- two or three tablespoons of peanut butter would have the caloric content of their entire daily meal. :yikes There are 90 calories per TBsp and 8grams fat, and almost all the calories are derived from fat. My dogs don't seem that mad for it either, oddly enough, though I'm sure they could learn! :lol:

I use bananas a lot of the time -- they freeze nicely, you can mash them in with a finger and add a few biits of kibble or other chewables, then more banana or something else. I also never use anything larger than a medium size Kong. You can actually use the kong to feed the dog's entire meal of course and many trainers recommend this -- keeps the dog busy and the working to get the stuff out is very mentally satisfying to them, as is the chewing activity.

I like reading all the other suggestions too! When I was out in California last week we did a Kong for Lucy who knew right away what one was. It kept her quite in her crate while my relatives ewere there for lunch. :)

I have never used them that much because they can be messy and I used to wonder what to put in them.... But while out in Calif I got a great plastic baby gate that is narrow enough to fit in the 28inch entry to my kitchen -- most gates over here in Ireland start at 30 inches or so and none would fit the space. Plus I dodn;t want a permanent mount gate -- this one just snaps into place. Mom uses hers to keep Lucy in a back room off the kitchen where she sleeps in her open crate at night (she is just the most adorable cavalier...). I think the arlines thought I was abit odd checking in an inexpensive baby gate but I am so glad I got it because now I can put the dogs in the kitchen with messy treats like marrow bones or kongs and not worry about them bringing them on to the Persian rugs. :shock: Though the great thing about the Persian rugs is the rich patterns make it hard to see any spills or dirt. :lol: They are worth the investment for that alone -- and they set off cavaliers very nicely too. 8)

Ps Brid I shortened your link to exclude the Google search stuff so it wouldn't stretch the page out to the side. Now it goes directly to the page itself. :)

The Kong website also has lots of suggestions:

http://www.kongcompany.com/

Back