• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

fleas??

tanztanya

its not going well (again) for cookie at the moment, after her leg, heart and strict diet, i think she has fleas! I have come online to investigate whether oor not it is fleas. Can fleas bite humans? my mum said they can't but iv been bitten quite a bit.

I was sitting on cookies bed earlier and saw a little mite jump off me, so i then checked cookie and she has them on her. They look quite big so we arent sure whether they are fleas or something else....but then i'v never seen a flea before so maybe they are meant to be that size.

what am i meant to do to get rid of them? coincidently we put cookies spot on flea stuff on her a few days ago, but will that get rid of them all?? Is there a shampoo we can use on her? my dad's going to the pet shop on the way back from work to see what thy have for her.

Also what can we do to de-flea the house? my mums a clean freak so she's going mental at the moment!! My biggest phobia is small bugs as well so i think this is going to be interesting...

Fleas can and do bite humans. If you're being bitten by fleas you'll have little red itchy bumps here and there, usually on your lower legs.

What type of flea stuff did you use on Cookie? I use Frontline Plus, which kills fleas and flea eggs. If what you used is not working, please call the vet - it might be dangerous to put another product on Cookie so soon.

I'm not familiar with the flea products in the UK, but I'm sure other members will tell you what they use.

Hugs to you and Cookie - fleas are not fun!

Hi, ive been bit by fleas before not nice!! i wouldnt myself buy anything from the petshops as they dont seem to work, go to the vets and they will prescribe somthing for you. i always use frontline spray and havent had a flea problem since.

Sarah Xxx

Merlin had fleas earlier this year, frontline didn't work so we ended up on stronghold ( I think they were mostly cat fleas - because since I have found out that the house and cat next door were infested!) Apprantlye powder and shampoo only kill those live ones that are on the dog at the time and do not kill the eggs.

They are reddish brown about 1 mm in size. You cant see the eggs but you can tell by the dirt which looks like black brown spots - if you wipe them on damp kitchen towel they "melt". I found that most of them liked to live around the base of his tail, so I had to disturb them and then catch them when they ran across his winky area!

I washed everything on the highest setting, put 4 fleas down on the carpet for weeks and weeks, flea bombed all the rooms, sprayed everywhere merlin sat/lay when he got up. I was a nervous wreck!!! :roll: :? :?

sarahg said:
Hi, ive been bit by fleas before not nice!! i wouldnt myself buy anything from the petshops as they dont seem to work, go to the vets and they will prescribe somthing for you. i always use frontline spray and havent had a flea problem since.

Sarah Xxx

Do you get your spray from your vet ? it's much cheaper off the net.

Hi Barbara, yes i get it from the vets, i diddnt know you could get it online do you have a link please.

Thank you

Sarah Xxx

sarahg said:
Hi Barbara, yes i get it from the vets, i diddnt know you could get it online do you have a link please.

Thank you

Sarah Xxx

www.vet-medic.com.

Spray, for me, was £10 cheaper than at the vets. Their spot-on , wormer and ear cleaner are also much cheaper.

You do however, still need a prescription for Frontline spray (no longer for spot-on) , but your vet has to provide one, without charge.

I always order by phone and delivery is next day, except in the case of a prescription. In this case, I got the prescription, ordered and paid by phone, posted the prescription and got my spray within two days. They must have posted as soon as they got the paperwork.

Poatage is £2 if you spend under £20, the exception being wormers, which go free if ordered by phone or post.

The company is very reliable and the staff helpful, teeling you immediately, if something is out of stock.

Hi Tanya,

Poor Cookie, she's not having a good time is she? I get Stronghold from the Vet for my two I find it the best. It kills sarcoptic mites, ear mites and round worms as well as fleas. You need to apply it 4 weekly and you can get it from your Vets. It's a bit more expensive but imho it's worth it :flwr:

Back