• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Snapping?

msunter

Hi all

As some of you may know in a recent thread in the Puppy Gallery I explained I have a new Cav pup at 9 weeks old called Rio.

He knows how to sit and do the paw trick, very intelligent, can be bossy at times and at the moment he is now 10 and a half weeks old. :D

We have been using the time-out method if he has been naughty and it seems to be working slowly but surely he is getting the idea.

However last night he snapped at my Dad and Mum both, while playing with him. Is this normal ???? :? :shock: it seemed a little out of character for him. He had his other injection on Saturday and the vet had thought he hit a nerve as everytime he moved he yelped so he gave him a little painkiller and he was right as rain, while during the checkup they found he had ear mites. He is currently taking ear drops for this.

Could the snapping be linked to his ear infection and his wanting to bite everything? :sl*p:

I was wondering if any of you could give us a few pointers on what we could do to help the little tyke.

Thank You
Melissa

Yes it is normal for puppies to snap -- they need to learn bite inhibition and this is a key part of your early training! :) They will snap in play and at this age it is very unlikely to be a behaviour problem or an indication of a temperament problem.

How to deal with it:

http://www.siriuspup.com/pdfs/08PuppyBiting.pdf

But at what age should the puppy bites stop? Brady is no 6 months and he has gotten better, but he still bites. All of his puppy teeth are gone also.

Six months is still pretty young, and the pup could still be teething and mouthing. Especially if the dog has not been taught not to bite (or the lessons have been inconsistent with different people allowing different things), six months is not too old for these puppy bites.

If the bites are caused not by play but are the result of rank challenges or fear, then its a different issue entirely. A trainer should be consulted.

At six months if he's still puppy nipping -- you definitely have a training task to work on. :) Read the same advice at links above and be diligent and consider getting a trainer in for advice.

Back