• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ye Olde English Dogge

Hi Cecily,
Why not call him Cosby , easy to remember after Bill Cosby. Not english I know but easy for the dog to remember 2 syllabilles and all that .
Mimi

We are also looking forward to a black and tan boy puppy in December and had 2 names picked out ; Harry and Alfie. When we went to meet the pups it was obvious he was a Harry. Maybe you could keep a short list in mind when you visit and see which name "fits". Also, I've been trying out names around the house to see what feels right to call out. I reckon Wesley would sound great. We also liked : Dylan and Finn. I look forward to seeing a pic of your new pup and will definitely post one of Harry. Good luck. Maggie

judy said:
Barbara Nixon said:
judy said:
I knew some one once who had a small yorkie type dog named Winston.

[/i]

There's an advert for insurance with a bulldog called Winston or Churchill, I think. Forget which. Apparently when kids are asked who Winston Churchill was, they've been known to reply "He's the dog off the telly, Miss." H'mmm. Then again, I remember the arguments I got into with a GCSE class who couldn't understand that a real life Egyptian priest/healer named Imhotep was NOT the guy from the Mummy films. That was fun.

What about Sydney? Isn't that one of the guys from 'Tale of Two Cities'? "It is a far, far better thing I do now.." bla bla. Never read the thing. :yikes I rather like Darcy and Blake. They're different, but not to the point where you'd cringe when screaming it across the park :badgrin:

I like Wesley and Winston. But my next male cavy will be called Hamish. My friend always calls Jeremy Rodney, Because she thinks he looks like a Rodney.

What's wrong with Geoffrey? :?

Of course, we have a Beauregard and an Elvis... AND named the female Saint Miss Kitty...so pretty much anything goes for us. icon_whistling

KC

welll if u want english what about:

~ Bradley
~Avery
~Benson
~Baldaric
~Chester (though i dont think it'll suit a black and tan)
~Dale
~Cadby
~Fletcher
~Grover
~Harry
~Harper
~Kendall
~Kingston
~Manley
~Marvin
~Oakley
~Rigby
~Royce
~Spencer
~Tanner

:p i dont know if you will like any of them but yeah. ;)

Nisha, most of those don't strike me as English at all. Are you refering to names of English people in Australia ? Grover (from Grosvenor-pronounced Grover) reminds me of the character iin the Muppets, but of course is the family name of the nobility connnected with Chester.

I know of a tri cavalier called Sidney and it suits him. he's a bit of a lad.

Stuart/Stewart is interesting.

King David I of scotland rewarded a knight by calling him Grand or High Steward of Scotland. This got corrupted to Stewart and eventually someone of that name married into the royal line and it became their surname. (Prince Charles is the present High steward of Scotland)

As there is no w in the French language, Mary Queen of Scots, who , of course lived there, became Mary Stuart.

Since then both spellings have become first names, too.

Nisha, most of those don't strike me as English at all. Are you refering to names of English people in Australia ?
nonono...they arent just from ppl in Aus..they are originally English names but i dont think they are the "old" ones as such....when i was picking names for my two i also tried out the ones from different countries, cultures etc..and i just dug up my list with English ones and typed them up..but i wasnt specifically looking for 'old english' names so yeah ...im sorry..i probably shouldnt have put them up because of that :oops: sorry..

but i was looking on a site and found one with heaps of "old" english names for boys (humans babies but same same)...maybe you'd want to check it out they have pages of old eng names

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/search/1/old+english

Wow, that's a great list Nisha, thanks!!!
When I said I wanted old English names I didn't have a particular 'era' or anything in mind. We're not fussy... we just wanted something kind of old fashioned and unusual. I really liked your suggestions (y)

I think English (as in English language) names/words are running out for breeders' / exhibitors' affixes. Someone on another board had lots and lots refused, because they were taken or too similar to others. Eventually, she had to resort to a site giving Hindu names, choosing the Hindu version of what she wanted in English. This was accepted first time.

Cecily,

I like Guiness - wish we'd thought of that before we got Merlin. That tan stripe across the chest is just like the head on a pint of guiness.

Just think shouting Tandeeeeeeee, Guinessss across the park.... you will know that no one's child will come running to you! :lol: :lol:

Back