Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matting fur

Post Thanks / Like

Default Matting fur

Does anyone know of a product that will help reduce knotting and matting in the fur behind the ears or on the leg feathers? I am having a time trying to keep the mats away after every time Riley plays with other dogs or scratches/licks his feathering. There's gotta be a "magic" spray or something??
    Laura (Momma to Riley, 3 yr. old male)

Post Thanks / Like

I use a metal comb, medium then finer tooth, pinching the hair, near to the dog, between finger and thumb, so the tug doesn't reach the skin, as that hair is never pulled tight.

Hard to explain, but if you grip a piece of your own hair, between thumb and finger, then tug with the other hand, you dont feel anything.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Barbara, i do know what you mean. I have been doing the fine metal comb thing. Believe me NO ONE knows more about tangly, knotting hair than i do, i've got it on my own head!
    I was just wondering if there was something that would prevent knots, like the many products i use on my own hair. Didn't think i should use them on Riley though as they are pretty heavy and made for people.
    Laura (Momma to Riley, 3 yr. old male)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would love to find out too ... Lucky doesn't mat yet (puppy fur!) but I'm sure he will and I'd love to be prepared.

I'd be cautious about people products too because people don't typically lick our hair ... dogs may lick their fur, so I'm sure whatever we use has to both 1) work and 2) be non-toxic for puppies.

I hope someone will chime in with some advice so Riley can have smooth silky hair.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

Dudley does'nt get that many mats, I use Pet Silk Products from www.tiabellas.com I have only tried the Clean Scent and it smells wonderful.

I also have a furminator and a Coat King Mars Comb it does a amazing job for getting out knots.

Dudley used to get a lot around his bottom, not anymore.

Mic Guest

I use a little rinse off conditioner behind the ears where they can't lick. And every time I brush/comb them, I use a grooming spray first, and very generously on the areas that are more prone to matting. The spray I use isn't anything special; just something from the local chain pet supply store..."miracle coat" or something like that.

on edit: I think the grooming sprays are referred to as "finishing sprays." Roxanne has several on her Tia Bella's site (link from previous post). The silk spray and mat gel specifically mention they're mat detanglers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Merlin used to get the odd one or two but now he has his own personal puppy ear hair puller my poor boys gets loads cos of those nasty puppy teeth!

I had to cut 3 out of one ear last night! Any ideas on stopping matting (other than removing Oakleys teeth!) would be appreciated - thanks for starting the thread on this Laura
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Some dogs definitely are more prone to matts than others. Also it depends enormously on the type of activity the dog does. If I have Jaspar outy on a two hour walk through grass, for example, he gets matts from the activity. If he is mostly going for walks on pavement and playing in the house or on flat lawn, he gets few.

I've never found a fine comb works for me -- it just seems to pull! I've clearly got the wrong technique. I sometimes use a matt cutter which really helps on larger matts. Otherwise I usually work at the matt with a pin brush; I especially like a really tiny one that came as part of a cat litter box package (hence a small cat brush is recommended!). The pin area is only about 1"x2". I also just got a bottle of The Stuff conditioner recommended by Aaron and you can spritz this on a matt and it helps work it out.

The best approach is definitely to groom regularly, even daily, so that matts do not get a chance to start to really clump together as a small one is easy to get rid of but a small one forms a large matt very quickly. Good advice that I don't follow enough!

Warning: if you get annoyed and cut out a large matt so all the hair is equally very short that area is going to matt even worse as it grows -- it matts constantly as it is now all the same length and kind of felts together.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Eighti n One's Perfect Coat grooming spray is supposed to detangle, but I use it for the lovely smell. It lingers for days and is especially good if the dogs get a little damp; as though they brushed past honeysuckle in the rain.--So if it doesn't work, it's still nice to use.

It becsme harder to get over here when pets at Home stopped stocking it, so in had to get mine from Crufts, but it's actually made in the States.

www.eightinonepet.com
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Tip: If you have to cut the matts then cut a v shape into the middle of it - that way you can pull the majority of tangle out without huting your fur baby and as Karlin has pinted out the hair wont be all the same length so will grow back better and have less chance of matting because it wont be the same legth as if you cut across it!
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)