• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

night time toileting

I've been reading all the helpful posts about "potty training" and have a question . Our pup will be 15 weeks old when we get him in December and we want him to sleep in the kitchen. Do I need to get up in the night to take him outside? We are not sure about whether to have a crate bed for him or an ordinary dog bed. Can anyone help, please. Maggie

I wouldn't have thought getting up in the night would be necessary at four months pretty much. My pup is 14 weeks on Sunday, and I haven't had to get up specially for a week or two. Then again, I normally stick her out a final time before I go to bed, and again when I first wake up. Even so, she's still often going seven hours. Controlling food and water intake helps too.

If you get a regular bed, then also get an X-pen (like a small playpen) to confine him down at night and put his bed in there. If you have a crate you can also use an Xpen and will likely find one very useful generally. The crate with door open or closed can go inside the Xpen to prodvide a doghouse for the pup.

Thank you for your replies. There is always so much helpful stuff on this site. I will definitely confine the pup to a small area of the kitchen. It's a relief to hear that we may not need to get up in the night at the coldest time of the year!

If you get a 30 inch or higher x-pen, it's less likely your cavvie will try to jump out! My adult cavs cannot jump the 30 inch one. (y)

Our first x-pen was only 24 inches, and India jumped out at 13 weeks! :shock:

You also need to watch that they don't climb up on the crate and try to climb out! :lol:

Back