Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Im feeling very lost at the moment

Post Thanks / Like

Default Im feeling very lost at the moment

My Puppy is 8 weeks old and I have her a week and Im trying to do everything by the book but it doesnt seem to be working for me!! Im using the crate and find it really effective but she just keeps wingeing looking for attention all the time especially during the night Im trying my best not to give in to her crying at night but she just doesnt let up at all and its not to go the toilet either its just for attention!! I think she may be suffering from seperation anxiety so Im trying my best to be impassive when Im leaving the house or the room but its still not working!! What should I really expect to be happening?? How long do the sleepless nights go on for?? Im moving to an apartment in January so Im really nervous about the noise levels and its not fair on Princess either!!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the board
    There's lots of great information in the library.

Don't worry. Your puppy will be fine, and is just being a puppy! The most important thing is absolute consistency. Your pup is very, very young still. Don't ever give in to the crying at night (you'll find the same advice on several other threads here!). Our experience with 2 pups found that the crying didn't last long at all, once you don't give in I know you feel terrible but it will be worth it in the long run. We've all been there I seriously doubt the crying will last more than a couple of nights, once the puppy knows it doesn't work.

You could also try covering the crate with a blanket and leaving a radio on at night.
    Cecily, owned by Dougal (B&T boy, age 2) and Dora (Blenheim female, age 2, rescue)

Cavaliers at the bridge, much missed and not forgotten: Aggie (tricolour female) and Rio (Blenheim female) and Tandie (ruby female)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Poor Princess! Have you tried a Dap diffuser - it releases pheromones (?) that calms the puppy. Also, there is a stuffed animal puppy that has a heartbeat for your puppy to curl up with. You could put a piece of your clothing like a t-shirt in with her, too.

If you put her food into a kong, it will keep her occupied when you're not near.

Where is her crate at night? We put our pups' crates in our bedroom and it comforts them to be in the same room at night.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your replies!!

Its so difficult knowing what to do for the best!

I have the DAP diffuser plugged in for a week now but the vet says it takes 2 weeks to work properly. I leave the radio on low and a piece of my clothing in too, I even leave a hot water bottle in too!!

Im going to try a Kong but Im very nervous of what to put in it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you get the Kong 'stuff-a-ball' treat dispenser, you can just put some of her kibble in it. My pups absolutely loved these dispensers:
    http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html
    Sorry, you'll have to do a lot of clicking to get to the treat dispenser!

Is the crate big enough that she can get away from the hot water bottle if she's too warm? Is the hot water bottle well wrapped in cloth?
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Ill have to see if I can get that Kong in a Pet shop in dublin. My pet shop doesnt have avery good selection just a large one for larger dogs.

The hot water bottle does be under her padded sleeping mat, maybe it does be too warm for her coz the heating does be on too!!

I considered putting her in her crate in my bedroom but I dont want my neighbours to be affected by her crying and I dont want her to develop bad habbits!!

Its funny I dont remember my daughter being like this when she was a newborn!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy Moon
    Poor Princess! Have you tried a Dap diffuser - it releases pheromones (?) that calms the puppy. Also, there is a stuffed animal puppy that has a heartbeat for your puppy to curl up with. You could put a piece of your clothing like a t-shirt in with her, too.

If you put her food into a kong, it will keep her occupied when you're not near.

Where is her crate at night? We put our pups' crates in our bedroom and it comforts them to be in the same room at night.
    Welcome, Princesses mom!

I was about to suggest the crate in the bedroom, too. I think when they can hear you breathing it is a comfort. Clancy's crate is right next to my bed. If he whimpers at all during the night I trail my fingers down so they are in the crate door. He will curl up next to them and quiet right down.

All your suggestions are good, Cathy!
    ~not knowing how near the truth is,
    we seek it far away~

Post Thanks / Like

All my dogs sleep in my bedroom. and for the last two I bought a plastic carrier, similar to the larger one in the Argos catalogue. It takes up little space , but is big enough for a puppy and very snug , if lined with vetbed. When they were clean, they were allowed freedom, but Tedddy, who's 3 , still sleeps in the carier, even if there's only just room for him to turn round.

This carrier is cheap, at about £12, is very easy to clean out and has the added bonus of being handy for transporting a puppy by car, as it fits snuggly within a seatbelt.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Part of the problem is almost certainly that she was really taken away too young from her mother and littermates. Eight weeks is really the absolute minimum to rehome cavaliers -- many breeders wait til they are 10-14 weeks or even up to 16 weeks. That additional week is an im[ortant week in development and independence at that age. It will also have been a shock for her to go from having a puppy pile and the smell of her mother to being totally alone.

That said, puppies whine and will continue to whine -- that is how they call for comfort and protection. It will lessen as she gets older but you can do some of the things noted above and also you need to work to train her to a cept being someplace like a crate aas this is scary for her -- have you read some of the material on crate training? That's the kind of thing to work on during the daytime with her to make her crate an inviting place.

Also she will need to be taken out at least once in the middle of the night at her age which is likely why she is whining at night, too -- they cannot hold themselves all night and you should be getting her out around 3am each night. And be sure she is warm enough as it is getting cold now at nights and puppies can hardly generate any warmth --- be sure she has a soft blanket to snuggle into as well as her bed. I carefully wrapped a hot water bottle with several layers (so there was no way it could be exposed and burn my pup) and this tnds to be very comforting for them.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

This is all good advice, I'm getting my puppy in december and I'll put him in a crate in my room if the kitchen doesn't work. Wish I was downstairs for the 3am toilet trip. Might set up a bed for me in the study!