• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

vaccinations

lily

how long did you wait until you let your pup into the garden?? vet said after the full course but some say its ok after 1st vac???

thanks

I think you'll probably get a lot of different answers here based on people live. Different areas have different potential risks. Since you said "garden" I'm guessing you are from the UK or Ireleand.

I live in a very populated area in the US and don't have a private yard so I waited longer. If you have your own garden, then you may feel more comfortable taking your dog out before all the vaccinations kick in. It will help with the potty training and it is also really good to socialize them too, and you really have to weigh the risk for yourself.

I'd also ask advise from your vet, assuming you've found one you really trust. Vets can be overly cautious, but they really do know the risks inherent in your area and can help you better understand those risks.

Good luck. :)

I have always been told that after their 1 vac. it is ok as long as they are not around any other dog's soiling spots.

Does anyone know if this is incorrect?

I've always heard the dog is covered by two weeks after the 2nd vac. But wouldn't it be ok if there have been no dogs in your garden? Mind you, puppies can catch something from bird droppings so I'd wait till two weeks after the 2nd vac.

It all depends on how secure your garden is. Both mine were allowed in the garden from the start. BUT - I am a stickler for disinfecting all areas. I don't have any grass only chippings/pebbles. I have stone walls at the sides to so I use the Vet/Kennel grade disinfectant ( I think its made by the people who make vetbed) which kills everything including parvo. I have a solution mixed up that goes over everywhere morning and night.

Today Oakley is allowed out so I will reduce this down to every other day until he's six months or so and then I will just hose/disinfect weekly as I did before Oakley arrived.

Sorry. I misread, assuming out, not in the garden. Mine all went straight away as no other dogs can get in, but I used special dog disinfectant. I also kept my other dogs on the premises.

lily said:
how long did you wait until you let your pup into the garden?? vet said after the full course but some say its ok after 1st vac???

thanks

is that you, Debbie? :)

apologies if it isn't!

Back