• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

harness

lily

just bought a xs harness, still to big, & lead. do many of you use harnessess or leader & collar for your pups??

thanks ;)

Most EVERYBODY uses harnesses because their throats are very fragile. Small puppies do not know how to walk on leashes and end up pulling like crazy until they are trained how to walk properly. This causes a lot of strain on their neck and the result could end up as a collapsed trachea.. Not pretty.. :( Plus there are benefits to using a harness. the other day I had a dog try to attack Kosmo and I was able to swoop him up off the ground without hurting him and hoist him to safety. :)

I use collars on three of mine, because they have been taught not to pull. teddy has a harness for group walks, as he tends to lurch sometimes and i'm afraid that the clip on his collar may give (I've known this to happen).

I automatically went for collars, anyway, as the training class I once used said that harnesses help a pulling dog to pull all the more and there's no substitiute for good training.

I use puppia harnesses and leads for my pups (8 months & 4 months).

I also train them not to pull, so they could pavement walk, if needed, with the leads attached to their collars with no problem.

BUT I like them to have a good run. Ideally this is off lead with regular recall to me but this has to be in a safe place. When conditions are not so safe then I like to use flexi leads. This allows them to run about but only within the 8m. maximum. If they are playing they can often run to the end of the flexi length and then get a sudden jerk as it stops them in their tracks. This is the main reason I got the puppia harnesses as that jerk will then not be harmful to their necks but is spread about the chest.

thanks

yeah want a puppia but can only find them online & not sure about ordering online... :roll:

Are you an ebay member? If so I can recommend a seller on there for Puppias. I bought one for each of my dogs and have ordered about 5 more from the same lady because all my friends wanted one for their dogs too :)

She is very reliable and the shipping was reasonably priced and lightning fast! The harnesses arrived in perfect condition in original wrapping and with tags.

I think she has a website too. I don't think she exclusively sells on ebay. Let me know if you are interested. :D

lily said:
thanks

yeah want a puppia but can only find them online & not sure about ordering online... :roll:

I strongly recommend taking the measurements of your pup before buying a puppia harness, they can be a little tricky to fit. They're worth it if you can get it right, but it sounds like your girl needs an extra small or a small--i got a small for Zack based on his weight, which i think was 12 pounds at the time, i didn't measure him, and the puppia was much too small, it woudln't go on him. i've since donated it to Kosmo, but he is probably outgrowing it too. I did get it on eBay. Much better prices on eBay, but i should've measured first.

When i measured Zack to get him another Puppia harness, i found that he fit their medium--they give detailed measurements for each size. He would also be able to wear a large but it would be looser on him. Since your pup is growing, it might be better to get something she can grow into. I was lucky to find a local store that carries puppia harnesses, and i could confirm the fit before i got it, but it was consistent with the measurements given on the website. I also got my daughter's cav Belle a puppie harness medium and it is looser on her than zack becauase she's smaller, but it's not so loose that she can pull out of it, and it looks beautiful on her. :)

About harnesses and pulling, like a lot of people, I use an easy walk harness, think there's another brand name for it too but can't remember right now. The thing is, it clips on the front, which discourages the dog from pulling. They may still pull but not as hard, and when they run and reach the end, it doesn't jerk their neck or the back of their neck. Zack is trained to heel, on and off leash, but i usually use a 26 foot retractable leash and he can run a lot when we go for walks. Clipped to the easy walk harness on the front, there's not much pulling. With the other kind of harness that clips on the back, before Zack was reconditioned not to pull by the easy walker, and later trained to heel, he pulled so hard, it reminded me of being on water skiis and being pulled by a motor boat, he'd pull me up steep hills, he never seemed to tire, but it seems quite unhealthy for him to me. I found the easy walker and it's one of those products i just feel so happy with, like the company really got it right.

although puppia harnesses clip to the back, i like them a lot for comfort and beauty, they really accentuate the gayness of the cavalier, and as others have said, doggies can learn not to pull when on lead.

Definitely measure before buying! Mainly measure the head of your dog. I bought a small originally because Spencer is such a little slim guy...but I couldn't get it over his big a** head!!! :yikes :lol:

A medium worked perfectly for both of my dogs :)

(The small is being kept for the forthcoming Tilly!)

thanks for replies.... yeah we have since measured her but not around her head...

lindsey i wouldnt mind the website please. ;)

We bought Hops a harness when we first got him, but we've recently changed to a collar and he seems to have adapted to that really well. When we go walking he doesn't pull on the lead which is great, because if he did then i would go back to the harness straight away.

We have murphy in a harness, he's 8 months. He's graduated to a small, from a specialty 1, we got this from a local pet shop.

Cant find a pet shop local thats sells them though... shes still a bit little yet anyway. Have a nylon harness xs which is still big..... :paw: hard to believe with all the food she eats... well 3 healthy meals per day..

She's only a baby yet though, isn't she? How about a cat harness for her to start her off? These are usually much smaller than puppy harnesses and also much cheaper too. She won't be in it long before she needs a bigger one :flwr:

thats the thing i cant find any harnessess apart from the nylon ones..... they are fine for now but will want to invest in a puppia when i can.

My Lucy is in a medium, I got it for her when she was 14 lbs and aged between 4 and 5 months. She is now just under 18 lbs at 9 months and it still fits her lovely, with room for expansion.

Henry is 11.5 lbs at 4.5 months and is in small. He has a small head but it is getting a little tighter to get it off him now. He has been in it since he was 12 weeks old and nearly 7 lbs. He will have to stay in it for a while though as I tried Lucy's medium on it and it was too big. I think his legs would get caught up in it so would be unsafe. I shall just have to ease it carefully over his head. It fits him lovely when it's on him, with room for expansion round the chest - it just needs care to get it over his ears when I take it off. I shall probably aim to get him into medium at about 14 lbs approx.

I got mine online from the USA (I'm UK) and was very pleased with speed, cost etc. My daughter then got me the 2nd one from the same website - again there was good service.

You can try this website - its the cheapest in the UK I've found

www.pawsdelight.co.uk

Merlin is 19 lbs and 20 months and he has a large, the medium did fit him but I struggled to get iit back over his head/ears.

I have bought a large for Oakley because I thinks he is going to be the same size or bigger than Merlin. After all he is 8 lbs at 12 weeks!

Have just found the best way to get the small puppia off Henry easily.

I bring it up behind his head, then push his ears through first and then it slides so easily forward over his face. Much easier than trying to get it over ears and face at the same time. So he can stay safe in that until the medium size fits him properly.

http://www.ipetconnection.com/Puppia_Harness_p/sh01.htm

This is where I got the puppias from. It came out as £10 for harness plus £6 shipping, grand total £16, about 30 dollars - this was a few months ago. Worked out cheaper than UK websites which seems crazy really! I did not need a new lead and sometimes they come in sets with a lead.

Back