• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

how long...

lily

suppose its different for each individual pup but about how long does it take to tolilet train a pup?? or how long as it took you ?? i know i've a long way to go but just estimating..... once you get past this stage , is it likely that a pup may revert back to weeing in the house stage?>?

cheers... :roll:

I think all pups are different, but for us, Willow will be 4 months old in a couple of days, and we're just starting to feel a bit more comfortable with her around the house - we've gone almost 2 weeks without an accident now! From the day we brought her home two months ago, she started letting us know when she needed to go (first by whining, and then within a few days by ringing the bell we put by the door), but there were still accidents in the house, especially if we were in our basement where our tv is, since it is further from the door. It was a constant vigil, looking for the signs that she needed to wee.

It takes time and patience, that's for sure! A new puppy is both a challenge and a wonderful blessing - enjoy it!

Krista

It takes a while, so you have to be patient and consistent. We made sure that we didn't give Riley too much freedom and made sure to let him out often to "go potty" with lots of praise and treats. By the time he was 4 mths. we could trust him not to pee for about 2 hrs if playing in the house. So every 2 hours we would let him out.
We gave him much more freedom by 7 mths. and allowed him to roam the house more while supervised. Still, at 10 months, he does not have free run of the house. He can hold it during the day while confined for up to 5 hours (I had to leave him that long one day), but if free roaming while we are home we still have to let him out about every 3 hours.
Riley hasn't caught on to letting us know clearly when he needs to go out to potty. We have tried different things, but now we just have to watch him and if he sits at the door and looks back at us then let him out to potty. (very easy to miss huh? :roll: )
My point is, i don't think there is a definite age where you can say your pup won't potty in the house anymore. I am still not sure when i'll be able to trust my guy as we have had accidents even recently. It just takes time and lots of patience and positive training to make it succesful.
It will happen eventually, good luck! (y)
Sorry that ended up being such a long post, i didn't mean to blabber on. icon_blshing

cheers for replies... (y)

lilys only a few mths so i'm not refering to her just yet. However shes clever as she has had a few accidents but most of the time she totters of to her training pads & poo's no bother (sometimes just clips the edges ). She wees there to with guidance and independantley on occasions but other than that she'll squat anywhere.. yet in her crate she only wee's when desperate & in the 2 weeks i've had her, shes only pooed once in her crate which is fab.

We had Maxx at 13 weeks and he had very few accidents in the house but I think this was more down to me watching him like a hawk all day :lol:

Charlie came to us a year ago aged 18mths and until a couple of mths ago, he'd still pee in the house :roll: . I'm just hoping he won't revert once the weather starts to get really cold!

Back