Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arthur's Turn for Surgery

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arthur's Turn for Surgery

Little Arthur is going in for his neutering Friday morning. This is not the same vet we used for Duncan as we had a bad experience with our former vet when Duncan was about 9 months. That said, my little, skinny ruby boy is going under in the morning. Please send prayers and hugs this way until we get him back. Thank you in advance for your well wishes.

One other thing, our vet here wants to do pre-op blood work on Arthur. I believe it is a liver and kidney check to make sure that his body will properly metabolize the anesthetic. This is not something that was disclosed to us as done or not in Duncan's neutering. It is optional but reccommended for this one. My husband's parents have told me that their vet does something similar but I thought I would see if you all have heard of this. We have decided to go ahead with it based on thier recommendation.

We love our new vet, we were introduced socially and she outwardly told us at that time that some think they are too careful and take too much care of the animals they treat (aka - too much $$)....can someone please tell me how someone can take too much care of my baby boys..even if they are a bit more expensive?
    Ashley - Mom to Duncan (4 years/blenheim) and Arthur (3 years/ruby)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ashley,

Give Arthur hugs for tommorow. My boys will keep their legs crossed for him!

Let us know how he gets on.
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

Aww arthur! you're going to pull through it fine

Kosmo was perfectly perky after his neutering. Actually, I was angry with the vets because they wouldn't let me take him home and made me keep him there till 7:30. They didn't take him out to pee ONE time after his neuter and by the time I picked him up almost 12 hours later he was BURSTING.

Regarding the pre-op blood work. I opted to do this for kosmo. He was a weiner when we got it done, but I am glad that we did it. If something is wrong with them then they can catch it with this. Kosmo's platelets came back low (big surprise..) and the vet said that was her only concern but that's a common thing in cavaliers so he was fine. I am glad we got it done because at least I know that his insides are working correctly.

I would also advise fluids during neutering if you have that option. The vet didn't spring this one on me until I dropped him off (again ) but I wanted him to keep hydrated and if something went wrong (God forbid) they'de have immediate access to his veins. The only side effect we had from the neuter was that he coughed for about a week after. I took him in and they said it was from the tube being down his throat.

Good Luck Arthur!!!
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck tomorrow Arthur..

Claire
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Arthur! It'll be no trouble to him I'm sure. He'll barely know what happened... probably harder for you guys at home
    Cecily, owned by Dougal (B&T boy, age 2) and Dora (Blenheim female, age 2, rescue)

Cavaliers at the bridge, much missed and not forgotten: Aggie (tricolour female) and Rio (Blenheim female) and Tandie (ruby female)

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Arthur's Turn for Surgery

Quote Originally Posted by duncans_ma
    One other thing, our vet here wants to do pre-op blood work on Arthur. I believe it is a liver and kidney check to make sure that his body will properly metabolize the anesthetic. This is not something that was disclosed to us as done or not in Duncan's neutering. It is optional but reccommended for this one. My husband's parents have told me that their vet does something similar but I thought I would see if you all have heard of this. We have decided to go ahead with it based on thier recommendation.
    Ashley, we're sending hugs and best wishes for Arthur's surgery!

Yes, I always get the pre-op blood work for my dogs before anesthesia.

If his platelet count is low, ask them to do a manual count. As many as 1/3 of all cavaliers may have large platelets and a lower platelet count. When the blood is counted in a machine, it can appear that they have no platelets, and the large ones may be miscounted as another type of cell, making it look like a possible infection.

Geordie has the large platelets, and he is fine!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ashley!

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. I know how you feel. My little ruby guy is having his surgery tomorrow as well. Just hurts your heart doesn't it???

My vet also does all the pre-op blood work and they also go ahead and start fluids (I forget the medically way of putting it), but it is supposed to help in case their blood pressure drops during surgery. It's not necessary, and it is quite a bit more expensive, but I think it is worth it to take all the right precautions.

Good luck tomorrow! It will be over before you know it!!!
    Heather, Fletcher (Ruby Male) & Riley (stinky sock lover) (Blenheim Female)
    http://www.heatherhink.com/pets.asp

Post Thanks / Like

Will be thinking of little Arthur, he should do just fine!

I have always had the pre-op bloodwork done too, just a precautionary measure and a good idea.
    ~Renee, Bentley & Bailey & Maddie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Arthur's Turn for Surgery

So..we have two little guys being converted from baritone to soprano tomorrow? (Just kidding)

Hope all goes well with both.

Ditto on the pre-op blood work recommendation. Better 2/b well prepared.

Cathy Moon Posted
    Yes, I always get the pre-op blood work for my dogs before anesthesia.

If his platelet count is low, ask them to do a manual count. As many as 1/3 of all cavaliers may have large platelets and a lower platelet count. When the blood is counted in a machine, it can appear that they have no platelets, and the large ones may be miscounted as another type of cell, making it look like a possible infection.
    Not absolutely sure if what I'm about to say has any validity because my entire cavvy platlet experience is only a few months old but it is my understanding that the larger platlets are more prevelant in Cavaliers originating in Europe whereas those from the US are typically the smaller (or normal size) platlets. I know our male Blen Charley, who was bread here in the states, has the normal size platlets whereas our little Ruby angel Megan, whom we got from Ireland, has the large platlets. Whether or not that's true, I certainly whole-heatedly agree with the manual count recommendation for sure.

Good luck all with the surgeries.
    Doggydad to Charley (Blen), Megan (Ruby), Mocha (Pekinese-Shih Tzu mix), Abby (Heinz 57 mix), Hobie (Poodle mix), Bessie (Min-Poodle) Butch (mix) and Snickers at The Bridge.