• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Arthur's Turn for Surgery

duncans_ma

Little Arthur is going in for his neutering Friday morning. This is not the same vet we used for Duncan as we had a bad experience with our former vet when Duncan was about 9 months. That said, my little, skinny ruby boy is going under in the morning. Please send prayers and hugs this way until we get him back. Thank you in advance for your well wishes.

One other thing, our vet here wants to do pre-op blood work on Arthur. I believe it is a liver and kidney check to make sure that his body will properly metabolize the anesthetic. This is not something that was disclosed to us as done or not in Duncan's neutering. It is optional but reccommended for this one. My husband's parents have told me that their vet does something similar but I thought I would see if you all have heard of this. We have decided to go ahead with it based on thier recommendation.

We love our new vet, we were introduced socially and she outwardly told us at that time that some think they are too careful and take too much care of the animals they treat (aka - too much $$)....can someone please tell me how someone can take too much care of my baby boys..even if they are a bit more expensive?

Ashley,

Give Arthur hugs for tommorow. My boys will keep their legs crossed for him!

Let us know how he gets on.

Aww arthur! you're going to pull through it fine :)

Kosmo was perfectly perky after his neutering. Actually, I was angry with the vets because they wouldn't let me take him home and made me keep him there till 7:30. They didn't take him out to pee ONE time after his neuter and by the time I picked him up almost 12 hours later he was BURSTING. :x :bang: :x

Regarding the pre-op blood work. I opted to do this for kosmo. He was a weiner when we got it done, but I am glad that we did it. If something is wrong with them then they can catch it with this. Kosmo's platelets came back low (big surprise..) and the vet said that was her only concern but that's a common thing in cavaliers so he was fine. I am glad we got it done because at least I know that his insides are working correctly.

I would also advise fluids during neutering if you have that option. The vet didn't spring this one on me until I dropped him off (again :bang: :swear: ) but I wanted him to keep hydrated and if something went wrong (God forbid) they'de have immediate access to his veins. The only side effect we had from the neuter was that he coughed for about a week after. I took him in and they said it was from the tube being down his throat. ;)

Good Luck Arthur!!! :flwr:

Good luck Arthur! :flwr: It'll be no trouble to him I'm sure. He'll barely know what happened... probably harder for you guys at home :)

duncans_ma said:
One other thing, our vet here wants to do pre-op blood work on Arthur. I believe it is a liver and kidney check to make sure that his body will properly metabolize the anesthetic. This is not something that was disclosed to us as done or not in Duncan's neutering. It is optional but reccommended for this one. My husband's parents have told me that their vet does something similar but I thought I would see if you all have heard of this. We have decided to go ahead with it based on thier recommendation.
Ashley, we're sending hugs and best wishes for Arthur's surgery!

Yes, I always get the pre-op blood work for my dogs before anesthesia.

If his platelet count is low, ask them to do a manual count. As many as 1/3 of all cavaliers may have large platelets and a lower platelet count. When the blood is counted in a machine, it can appear that they have no platelets, and the large ones may be miscounted as another type of cell, making it look like a possible infection.

Geordie has the large platelets, and he is fine!

Hi Ashley!

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. I know how you feel. My little ruby guy is having his surgery tomorrow as well. Just hurts your heart doesn't it???

My vet also does all the pre-op blood work and they also go ahead and start fluids (I forget the medically way of putting it), but it is supposed to help in case their blood pressure drops during surgery. It's not necessary, and it is quite a bit more expensive, but I think it is worth it to take all the right precautions.

Good luck tomorrow! It will be over before you know it!!!

Will be thinking of little Arthur, he should do just fine!

I have always had the pre-op bloodwork done too, just a precautionary measure and a good idea.

So..we have two little guys being converted from baritone to soprano tomorrow? :yikes (Just kidding)

Hope all goes well with both. :xfngr:

Ditto on the pre-op blood work recommendation. Better 2/b well prepared.

Cathy Moon Posted
Yes, I always get the pre-op blood work for my dogs before anesthesia.

If his platelet count is low, ask them to do a manual count. As many as 1/3 of all cavaliers may have large platelets and a lower platelet count. When the blood is counted in a machine, it can appear that they have no platelets, and the large ones may be miscounted as another type of cell, making it look like a possible infection.

Not absolutely sure if what I'm about to say has any validity because my entire cavvy platlet experience is only a few months old but it is my understanding that the larger platlets are more prevelant in Cavaliers originating in Europe whereas those from the US are typically the smaller (or normal size) platlets. I know our male Blen Charley, who was bread here in the states, has the normal size platlets whereas our little Ruby angel Megan, whom we got from Ireland, has the large platlets. Whether or not that's true, I certainly whole-heatedly agree with the manual count recommendation for sure.

Good luck all with the surgeries. (y)

Ashley

Any word on little Arthur, hope all goes well. :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Please keep us updated, I think I may have to get Darby done soon.

I was really trying to hold out until he was a year, let's just say he is enjoying his Snuggle Puppy a little too much.

He is of course re-directed.

He is there now... and we should hear from them within 2 hours. :xfngr:

I know all is well, but I will feel better when he is back home.

aww I am sorry!! I know waiting is the WORST part.>!! I called the vet every 2 hours. I probably drove them nuts, but I don't care.. :D good luck! :flwr:

I know the feeling Ashley, honestly, but he'll be loving all the :hug: :l*v: you give him when he comes home :)
Tandie's surgery was even more complicated I think, what with the whole toxic womb being removed :shock: :shock: and I can't believe what good form she's in already. Arthur won't even know what happened :D

We're all thinking of him (and you) :flwr:

:updte:

Arthur is out of surgery and doing wonderfully...all pre-op blood work completely fine!! :w**h**:

Now I can get some work done....
Thank you everyone for your kind words.

So Happy To Hear The Wee Fellow Is Doing So Great, :wggle:
Plus Mommy Is Able To Get Some Work Done Too. :*bay:

Keep us posted on his recovery pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeze. :thnku:

Ashley - I'm so happy that little Arthur is doing well! cl*p I know what a hard day you had!

I'm really having to work hard to keep Fletcher still. He just acts like nothing even happened today! :sl*p: I hope Arthur is feeling as well as my little guy is so far!!! Give him a big kiss for us!!!! (y)

Back